Which potential candidate would Trump have a harder time picking apart?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:53:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Which potential candidate would Trump have a harder time picking apart?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which potential candidate would Trump have a harder time picking apart?  (Read 1154 times)
History505
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »

Which potential Democratic contender would Trump have a hard time attacking in the general election?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

JOE SESTAK.

Military. Moderate. And anti-establishment.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »

Someone with a squeaky clean background. it also helps if they're a veteran or have an inspiring life story on top of a clean background.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:52:24 PM »

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FORTY-SIXTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, MARTIN HEINRICH!
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2017, 11:13:10 PM by Cal »

Maybe Amy Klobuchar? But he'd still probably come up with some nickname for her. He already has a lot of material for Elizabeth Warren. With Gillibrand he'd probably come up with something based on her background with the Clintons and how she's "flip-flopped" from Blue Dog to Progressive. He'd probably go after Cory Booker for defending Bob Menendez and call him a "bad guy" or something. He'd needle Kamala over her San Francisco background. And we've already seen what he has to say over Biden and Sanders.

Edit: On second thought, he'd probably try to connect Klobuchar with Franken, although that could bring up the allegations against him again.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:16 PM »

JOE SESTAK.

Did I inspire this a few days ago? Tongue

I think you're absolutely right for the record, but I think other options are also possible - John Allen had a great convention speech and has progressive credibility as president of the Brookings Institution, Bill McRaven has an incredible record (who can attack a Navy SEAL who took down Bin Laden?) and has made public statements against Trump's attacks on the media immediately after his inauguration. Seth Moulton also applies - very anti-establishment internal to the Democratic party with a stellar war record.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:47:46 AM »

You definitely inspired me. An apolitical Eisenhower-esque candidate motivated to run for the presidency after witnessing Trump disrespect the office would be unbeatable. What could he really say about a decorated veteran who would obliterate him on foreign policy? This mythical candidate's VP could be Harris or Booker---- who would more than likely be using their pulpits to galvanize support for issues like criminal justice reform, healthcare (maybe Medicare for All?). The ticket would crush Trump.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »

JOE SESTAK.

I think you're absolutely right for the record, but I think other options are also possible - John Allen had a great convention speech and has progressive credibility as president of the Brookings Institution, Bill McRaven has an incredible record (who can attack a Navy SEAL who took down Bin Laden?) and has made public statements against Trump's attacks on the media immediately after his inauguration. Seth Moulton also applies - very anti-establishment internal to the Democratic party with a stellar war record.

I've actually had my eye on Sestak for 2020 for some time now. It's just, all the pieces seem to fit so well with him. He's got military background, but not just any miltary background, he's an admiral! The highest ranking military officer ever to serve in Congress! Against an administration that's always pushing itself as pro-military and pro-"The Generals", "The Admiral" would literally be their worse nightmare. He may not be apolitical like RFKFan wanted, but his political credentials actually boost him IMO. He has strong liberal social positions (he helped lead the fight against DADT), but some more moderate fiscal positions. He also has very strongly liberal positions on healthcare, and an extremely sympathetic reason for his support for government health programs: His daughter survived cancer because of Tricare, the government's health program for military families. And to top it all off, the Democratic establishment hates his guts. They hate him for running against (and beating) Arlen Specter, whom they enticed to join their party to have an easier run for reelection. They hate him for not submitting his campaign in 2016 to the party machine. So none of Trump's "crooked" talk works on him at all!

Pair it with Harris and you have Trump's kryptonite.

I agree with some of your other picks there, however, I'm not sure if any of them have quite the combo Sestak has, especially with his extremely high rank.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:41 AM »

It will be much harder for trump to destroy white men then women and nonwhites however as we saw with Jeb bush he probably can do a number on one of them as well.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »

JOE SESTAK.

I've actually had my eye on Sestak for 2020 for some time now. It's just, all the pieces seem to fit so well with him. He's got military background, but not just any miltary background, he's an admiral! The highest ranking military officer ever to serve in Congress! Against an administration that's always pushing itself as pro-military and pro-"The Generals", "The Admiral" would literally be their worse nightmare. He may not be apolitical like RFKFan wanted, but his political credentials actually boost him IMO. He has strong liberal social positions (he helped lead the fight against DADT), but some more moderate fiscal positions. He also has very strongly liberal positions on healthcare, and an extremely sympathetic reason for his support for government health programs: His daughter survived cancer because of Tricare, the government's health program for military families. And to top it all off, the Democratic establishment hates his guts. They hate him for running against (and beating) Arlen Specter, whom they enticed to join their party to have an easier run for reelection. They hate him for not submitting his campaign in 2016 to the party machine. So none of Trump's "crooked" talk works on him at all!

I agree with some of your other picks there, however, I'm not sure if any of them have quite the combo Sestak has, especially with his extremely high rank.

I think McRaven outranks him but obviously doesn't have the congressional experience. He fits more in the Eisenhower mold (afaik he used to be a Republican) and he's a little younger. Sestak is a killer candidate though - if he had won the primary without Fetterman running I'm convinced he could have beaten Toomey the second time.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »

JOE SESTAK.

Sestak might be a Senator now if not for all the idiotic national Democrats who shilled for McGinty.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »

JOE SESTAK.

Sestak might be a Senator now if not for all the idiotic national Democrats who shilled for McGinty.

God, she was such a garbage candidate. Why they all lined up for a Senate candidate who came dead last in the previous gubernatorial primary and couldn't even figure out how doors worked, I'll never know.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2017, 08:08:11 PM by IceSpear »

JOE SESTAK.

God, she was such a garbage candidate. Why they all lined up for a Senate candidate who came dead last in the previous gubernatorial primary and couldn't even figure out how doors worked, I'll never know.

I don't think she was QUITE that bad, but yeah, she was bad. Sestak was leagues above her, no question. Considering Dems won the other statewide offices besides president/senate, there's a pretty good chance Sestak would've won too. The Democrats gifted that seat to the Republicans due to their petty and spiteful vendetta against Sestak all because he ran against (and had the NERVE to even win against!) Specter in 2010.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »

If Sestak or McRaven run, should they go by the nickname "The Admiral" or something else?
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:30:51 AM »

Kander or Moulton
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:42 PM »

What is this fetish for ex military men?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »

American nationalism
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »

James Stavridis. He has far more diplomatic expertise than other military men, which is usefully in foreign policy and contributes to the ability to manage an administration.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »

The military is one of the few institutions in American life that is still trusted. Ex-military generally indicates a level of competence and integrity the rest of the public sector and private sector do not.
Rjjr77
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 01:00:08 AM »

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FORTY-SIXTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, MARTIN HEINRICH!

He ain't squeaky clean...
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 01:04:48 AM »

He's just squeaky
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:20 AM »

What isn't squeaky clean about Heinrich?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »

Well personally, I'd like to see Jason Kander do many other things blindfolded besides make me a gun...
SKY
Rookie
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »

Hm... Caroline Kennedy would be the hardest.

Gavin Newsom also seems as clean as they come (outside of what’s public — which is essentially everything)
Rjjr77
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 12:09:42 AM »

What isn't squeaky clean about Heinrich?

Illegally reimbursed himself travel expenses and has a ridiculously close relationship to a lobbying firm with some less than stellar ties.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies