Which potential candidate would Trump have a harder time picking apart? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:04:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Which potential candidate would Trump have a harder time picking apart? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which potential candidate would Trump have a harder time picking apart?  (Read 1163 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: December 05, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

JOE SESTAK.

Military. Moderate. And anti-establishment.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »

JOE SESTAK.

Military. Moderate. And anti-establishment.

Did I inspire this a few days ago? Tongue

I think you're absolutely right for the record, but I think other options are also possible - John Allen had a great convention speech and has progressive credibility as president of the Brookings Institution, Bill McRaven has an incredible record (who can attack a Navy SEAL who took down Bin Laden?) and has made public statements against Trump's attacks on the media immediately after his inauguration. Seth Moulton also applies - very anti-establishment internal to the Democratic party with a stellar war record.

I've actually had my eye on Sestak for 2020 for some time now. It's just, all the pieces seem to fit so well with him. He's got military background, but not just any miltary background, he's an admiral! The highest ranking military officer ever to serve in Congress! Against an administration that's always pushing itself as pro-military and pro-"The Generals", "The Admiral" would literally be their worse nightmare. He may not be apolitical like RFKFan wanted, but his political credentials actually boost him IMO. He has strong liberal social positions (he helped lead the fight against DADT), but some more moderate fiscal positions. He also has very strongly liberal positions on healthcare, and an extremely sympathetic reason for his support for government health programs: His daughter survived cancer because of Tricare, the government's health program for military families. And to top it all off, the Democratic establishment hates his guts. They hate him for running against (and beating) Arlen Specter, whom they enticed to join their party to have an easier run for reelection. They hate him for not submitting his campaign in 2016 to the party machine. So none of Trump's "crooked" talk works on him at all!

Pair it with Harris and you have Trump's kryptonite.

I agree with some of your other picks there, however, I'm not sure if any of them have quite the combo Sestak has, especially with his extremely high rank.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »

If Sestak or McRaven run, should they go by the nickname "The Admiral" or something else?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 12:34:48 AM »

Hm... Caroline Kennedy would be the hardest.

Gavin Newsom also seems as clean as they come (outside of what’s public — which is essentially everything)
Newsom definitely isn’t squeaky clean. Probably has a more messy past than most of them.

Yeah, but everything in his past is probably already public.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies