KS: Orman In, Colyer to Become Governor Upon Brownback Taking Ambassadorship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:12:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS: Orman In, Colyer to Become Governor Upon Brownback Taking Ambassadorship
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: KS: Orman In, Colyer to Become Governor Upon Brownback Taking Ambassadorship  (Read 4687 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
« edited: January 24, 2018, 07:45:05 PM by Free Bird »

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Orman-takes-step-toward-independent-run-for-Kansas-governor-462349873.html
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

Orman already got his chance. I guess he just wants to throw another winnable race to the Republicans.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »

Orman already got his chance. I guess he just wants to throw another winnable race to the Republicans.

A regular democrat had a better chance against Pat Roberts in 2014? What?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »

Hang on. If he's facing a Brownbackian nut like Colyer or Kobach, does he have a reasonable shot here?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »

He might have a chance if he sets himself up as more of a centrist rather than as democrat lite like he did in 2014. He will also have to self fund to a much larger degree since a sweetheart deal with the democrats is not going to happen again this time around
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »

Orman is an "Independent" the same way Angus King is, he just knew that there was no way a Democrat could have beaten Roberts in 2014 (which is why he ran as an Independent). But yeah, not sure why he thinks he has a good chance of getting elected in 2018. Like others said, he could very well act as a spoiler, although I still consider this race a Tossup.

Presumably the main argument is that 2018 will be much more of an anti-Republican year nationally than 2014. It could happen.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »

It's more likely Democrats abandon their nominee for Orman, then Republicans abandon...say Colyer for Orman.

If Kobach wins the GOP nomination, however...all bets are off, and I would assume it would become a true three-way race, with Orman having a serious chance to win.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »

Orman is a clown

It's Svaty's time to shine you fools
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »

Orman, stay out. We need Gov. Svaty. Do you really want to throw this to Kobach?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »

Orman is a clown

It's Svaty's time to shine you fools
kyc0705

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2017, 07:49:49 PM by kyc0705 »

Generally speaking, I support the idea of a well-placed candidate, without a D or R next to their name, having a legitimate shot at any kind of office. However, considering the stakes here, I'm a little worried that this will backfire and just help some crazy guy like Kobach.

Maybe the Democrats could work out some kind of ticket-sharing agreement, like in Alaska? God, I hate FPTP.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »

A regular democrat had a better chance against Pat Roberts in 2014? What?

I'm sure some Atlas posters unironically think this, lol.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »

Carl Brewer certainly could win. Nothing strange about thinking that.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:54 PM »

His campaign has been pretty unimpressive. Don't get me wrong-he's well liked in Wichita, but his bid hasn't been as robust as that of Ward or Svaty. Former Topeka Mayor/former KDP Chair Joan Wagnon is his only big-name endorser I'm pretty sure. Ward has a lot of the caucus with him, although some (including State Rep. Brandon Whipple) are undecided and some of the Trump-district (especially small town) Dems will probably end up supporting Svaty, as he's most palatable to their base and is the only rural candidate. Brewer has some events around the state but he's not nearly as active.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »

His campaign has been pretty unimpressive. Don't get me wrong-he's well liked in Wichita, but his bid hasn't been as robust as that of Ward or Svaty. Former Topeka Mayor/former KDP Chair Joan Wagnon is his only big-name endorser I'm pretty sure. Ward has a lot of the caucus with him, although some (including State Rep. Brandon Whipple) are undecided and some of the Trump-district (especially small town) Dems will probably end up supporting Svaty, as he's most palatable to their base and is the only rural candidate. Brewer has some events around the state but he's not nearly as active.

Is Svaty actually good? I saw him at an event in Miami county and was pretty unimpressed, tbh.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 11:12:13 PM »

This is getting me nostalgic for 2014 Atlas.

Ah, the days of Keystone Phil, KC Dem, and Sawx.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:46 PM »

We need to clearly navigate these waters. If Orman runs, dems should consider a full endorsement of him.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »

We need to clearly navigate these waters. If Orman runs, dems should consider a full endorsement of him.

You've learned nothing

He's got a better chance than literally all the dems (besides maybe Svaty).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:06:43 AM »

Greg Orman is a god damn rat. He was the most insufferable candidate of 2014, and he's already more insufferable.

He was ahead in opinion polls and LOST BY 10 POINTS. loser.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »

"Orman filed the paperwork Tuesday, allowing him to legally accept campaign contributions. He also must collect the signatures of 5,000 registered voters before the August primary to get on the November general election ballot."

I can imagine Republicans standing in line to sign his petition.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »

"Orman filed the paperwork Tuesday, allowing him to legally accept campaign contributions. He also must collect the signatures of 5,000 registered voters before the August primary to get on the November general election ballot."

I can imagine Republicans standing in line to sign his petition.

The KDP needs to be doing wall to wall coverage of him being a Republican plant to throw the election to Kobach. I think it could work too. But Democrats will probably just cede him the nomination though just because they don't want to cause a stir.

Full disclosure: only reason I'm so pissed about an obscure gubernatorial race is because part of my family lives there and it's going downhill quick.

Kansas is just like Nebraska, but further south and has more people overall. Thus, I care about Kansas immensely. I love open space!
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »

It's more likely Democrats abandon their nominee for Orman, then Republicans abandon...say Colyer for Orman.

If Kobach wins the GOP nomination, however...all bets are off, and I would assume it would become a true three-way race, with Orman having a serious chance to win.
I don't think so, if Orman gets a lot of support this is just going to hurt the Democrat.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »

I don't think so, if Orman gets a lot of support this is just going to hurt the Democrat.

That's not necessarily true. Running for Senate, Orman got dogged about who he would caucus with, since you really can't be an Independent in Congress. (Sorry, Angus.) It's much easier to be an independent as Governor.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »

That's not necessarily true. Running for Senate, Orman got dogged about who he would caucus with, since you really can't be an Independent in Congress. (Sorry, Angus.) It's much easier to be an independent as Governor.
Yes, but he's more or less a Democrat. I don't see him peeling off many GOP voters from Kobach or whoever the GOP nominates.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »

Is Svaty actually good? I saw him at an event in Miami county and was pretty unimpressed, tbh.

I'm definitely biased but I think he's impressive. Charismatic, relatable, well connected across the state through his family and his wife, popular in rural parts of the state. I don't know how the primary will unfold, considering his pro-life voting record, but I do think he's the best candidate to get crossover votes. And I don't think the base "won't come out" as some worry about. Svaty's record on environmental issues is unparalleled and in 2005 in a super conservative, rural district he was for gay marriage while Ward was against it in a Democratic district.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies