Should Clarence Thomas be forced to stand down?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:05:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Clarence Thomas be forced to stand down?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should Clarence Thomas be forced to stand down?  (Read 2268 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

If Americans really wanted to make a stand against sexual harassment surely it can start at the highest court in the land?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:52:29 PM »

This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a bunch of Atlas lefties rather than hung from a tree.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »

as always, nobody plays identity politics more pathetically than the right
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:05:33 PM »

What he was accused of is just as bad as what Bill Clinton was accused of.
Maybe he, too, should be impeached.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »

What he was accused of is just as bad as what Bill Clinton was accused of.
Maybe he, too, should be impeached.

I fully support your proposal that we replace Donald Trump with Bill Clinton, and then impeach him. (The mechanics of doing so are left as an exercise for the reader.)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »

The fact that a Democratic controlled Senate confirmed a judge as crooked as Thomas and a pervert like Thomas to the Supreme Court boggles my mind.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »

The fact that a Democratic controlled Senate confirmed a judge as crooked as Thomas and a pervert like Thomas to the Supreme Court boggles my mind.

I mean, Ted Kennedy and Daniel Inouye were in the Democratic controlled Senate at the time, so it's not like they had standards.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »

Neutral. Thomas was confirmed in full view of the allegations, meaning that he has a mandate from the Senate.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

Absolutely not!

I'm not a big Clarence Thomas fan, but this issue was fully examined when Thomas was appointed.  There are elements of "He said, She said" in all of this, and much heresay, which is not to say Anita Hill was lying.

This whole issue reeks of Billy Hayes's treatment in Midnight Express.  Hayes was the guy who got 3 years in a Turkish Prison for some Hashish, but then, through the workings of the Turkish legal system, his sentence was overturned, and he was given 30 years on a higher charge of smuggling (for the same event).

For much of America, Hayes was a hero (or, at least, a victor).  Folks had mixed feelings about him in my home town, however.  Hayes was a local boy and his story hit the local weekly paper before it was national news.  And folks were conflicted; some saw him as an American getting a raw deal, while some saw him as a guy who was intending to bring drugs home from abroad to THEIR hometown.  And there's the issue of whether or not the Turks have the right to their own Justice System.  I don't want their justice system, but Hayes is of the right age to where he must have seen the public service ads that said, "If your busted for drugs over there, you're in for the hassle of your life."

It's done and over.  Clarence Thomas ought to be done and over; there's no new information now than there was years ago, just as there was no new information when Turkey decided to give him an additional 30 years in stir.  It's one thing to take a stance based on "going forward".  It's another thing to re-litigate decided matters, and especially given the political motivation behind them.  

Besides, for the liberal schemers with a sneaky motive hiding behind a good one, Thomas isn't a young man anymore.  Do liberals really want to drive a 69 year old off the bench to be replaced by a 45 year old conservative?  Even the schemers haven't thought this one through.
NoTrump
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

If Americans really wanted to make a stand against sexual harassment surely it can start at the highest court in the land?
Do you really want another Neil Gorsuch on the U.S. Supreme Court?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2017, 10:47:28 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Yes, it's time to put a true conservative on the Court.

Plus pray that Breyer has done worse
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:47:17 PM »

F**king DUH.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 02:25:10 AM »

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:31 PM »

No. He was accused of making dirty jokes at work, not of sexual assault, and it is exactly one allegation not supported by any evidence.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »

This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a bunch of Atlas lefties rather than hung from a tree.

Nice try.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »

So Trump can replace him with a younger judge who is ideologically identical to him? Sounds like a plan!
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »

yes but make him wait until 2021.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 03:25:13 AM »

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 07:29:05 AM »

So Trump can replace him with a younger judge who is ideologically identical to him? Sounds like a plan!
This.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »

I mean, Ted Kennedy and Daniel Inouye were in the Democratic controlled Senate at the time, so it's not like they had standards.

Thomas was confirmed (narrowly) thanks to such conservadem Senators like Boren.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »

There was no reason to reject Clarence Thomas.

There was no reason to reject Robert Bork.

There was no reason not to grant a hearing on Merrick Garland, and no reason not to confirm him.

Not until the Abortion question was the ideology of a nominee the big issue.  FDR appointed Justices who would uphold his New Deal legislation, but they digressed in other areas.  Truman appointed surprisingly conservative jurists (Tom Clark, Fred Vinson) and his other appointments were only moderately "liberal".  Eisenhower appointed the great liberals (Earl Warren, Warren Brennan) to go along with two (2) centrists (Potter Stewart, John M. Harlan) and one clear conservative (Charles Whittaker), while JFK appointed the rather conservative Byron White to go with liberal Arthur Goldberg.  LBJ's appointments were liberals, but each had their own specialties.  Abe Fortas was considered the most brilliant legal mind ever to graduate Yale Law School.  Thurgood Marshall was an icon of the Civil Rights movement.  LBJ's third appointment, Rep. Homer Thornberry (D-TX) was a crony appointment, that failed when Fortas's Chief Justice appointment was rejected.  Thornberry was Fortas's proposed replacement, and it is clear that he would have been a relatively conservative appointment from a Democratic President. 

It was Nixon who started the politicization of SCOTUS appointments.  Burger and Rehnquist were reliable conservatives to the end; Powell was center-right and Blackmun went from one of the most conservative to one of the more liberal (the last real "surprise" appointment).  Ford's appointment of John Paul Stevens was a non-political appointment, as was Bush 41's appointment of David Souter. 

It was not until the Reagan years that the SCOTUS appointment issue became full-bore ideological.  Reagan, Bush 41, and Bush 43 appointed clear conservatives, whereas Clinton and Obama appointed only clear liberals.  Trump, in and of himself, would probably appoint more eclectic appointments, but in this environment, he's got to consider the GOP Senate Caucus and what it is now.  (Trump would probably appoint 11 Anthony Kennedys if it were up to him.) 

Thomas was a unique appointment; a black conservative.  There were Senators with Presidential ambitions, or Vice Presidential ambitions, from Southern states who were Democrats, and they were concerned about how they would be viewed in voting against a black nominee.  For Southern Democrats, voting for Thomas's confirmation was a chance to support a black nominee without offending conservatives; a win-win.  There was, also, an undercurrent of thought that suggested that, because he was black, Thomas would not be as conservative a jurist as was promised.  That, of course, turned out to be totally off base.  For better or worse; Thomas is what he says he was.

To call Thomas a pervert is unfair to the point of slander and libel. 

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »

I thought conservative Democrats were racist, though?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »

You thought right.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

Robert Byrd voted against Clarence Thomas. He also voted against Thurgood Marshall. Probably because they were black.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies