Democrats (and sympathyzers): what if Franken's Resignation threatened his seat? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:27:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats (and sympathyzers): what if Franken's Resignation threatened his seat? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats (and sympathyzers): what if Franken's Resignation threatened his seat?  (Read 1415 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:36 PM »

I haven't been strong calling for Franken to resign until recently at first even though I know he would be replaced by another Democrat. There are a few reasons for this other than the (D).

One, prior to this, Franken was one of the best Senators when it came to listening to women on sexual assault and other policy issues. He was the sponsor of a bill by a rape victim in Minnesota to increase funding for interrogation training in rape crimes; he was the probably the most responsive male Senator when it comes to Paid Leave programs, which is the cause of the wage gap.
These things do matter.

Then there's the support he got from former SNL women employees and women Senate staffers, and the fact that Kate Harding, who literally wrote the book on rape culture, penned a Washington Post op-ed defending him. He's not a clear fraud like Anthony Weiner was, Alan Grayson was, or Roy Moore is; I think he really does care.
These things do matter.

Then there's the fact that the accusations against him weren't initially as serious as the ones against Moore, Conyers, Weinstein, and most others. I don't actually think we should be throwing anyone under the bus just because they happen to be accused of sexual misconduct. That is an invitation for ill-motivated people to try to hijack and smear the #MeToo movement in bad faith, as almost happened with Project Veritas. The severity of what happened, and of course the credibility of the allegations (although I never doubted those), has to be taken into account.
These things do matter.

I've now reached the point where I think Franken needs to go, but I'm not as upset as some others that he wasn't kicked to the curb on day 1. Loyalty does count for something; Franken was a genuinely valuable ally when he was in the Senate for feminist causes, and no one will take that away from him. He could have (barely) survived without the latest accusation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies