Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act passes U.S. House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:16:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act passes U.S. House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act passes U.S. House  (Read 693 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2017, 09:19:03 PM by True Federalist »

Good news!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »

Changed title since the news I've seen it only passed the House. There's nothing stopping States now from engaging in bilateral or multilateral reciprocity laws if they wish right now. Indeed, most States recognize each other's permits. The exceptions are a few States that have chosen to have fairly strict laws with respect to concealed carry. As a Federalist, I see no compelling reason to pass this act, and it's pretty much impossible for it to pass the Senate filibuster.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »

thank you, I should have caught that.

And your "Fed" argument is spot on.  If you are pro-gun and would prefer the most power in the lowest reasonable hands ('cause saying "states rights" carries a ton of baggage that doesn't fit me) this potential law is a real pain in the ass.

On the other hand, conceal carry permit holders are the least criminal group in the US.  Of course it's a bit self selecting as criminals can't get one, they aren't easy or cheap to get so few poors or dumbs with them (poors and dumbs commit almost all violent crime) and if you are one of the few that do commit a crime you get removed from the list (unlike, say, cops who often keep their job after committing a crime).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

Full faith and credit
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

There are reams of cases concerning that clause, and precedent is clearly set that while minor procedural differences shouldn't be a bar to full faith and credit, substantive ones are. There are substantial differences between what one must do for a concealed carry permit in different states, not simply a case of filling out form TX738 instead of NY9245a (form numbers made up for this example). I'd point out the Loving case centered on whether Virginia could refuse to recognize an interracial marriage, not whether they could refuse to recognize an out-of-state marriage.

Or perhaps I'm wrong about you and you believe that once Massachusetts extended marriage to include same-sex couples in 2004, all one then needed to do if you wanted to be in a legally recognized same-sex marriage in any State was get a Massachusetts marriage?

Federalism isn't about the lowest common denominator.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies