Human euthasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Human euthasia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should human euthanasia be legalized?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Human euthasia  (Read 935 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:20 AM »

I'm extremely anti-euthanasia, I'm surprised that more people don't see the slippery slope to eugenics.

If it is legalized, I would prefer every euthanization needs to be approved by written consent of the patient, a lawyer, a minimum of 3 doctors, and a judge.

If you're curious as to why human euthanasia is wrong emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually, and the effect on those left behind, read the works of the Swiss psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 02:30:29 AM »

Actually, euthanasia should only require the consent of one person. Guess who!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:58:14 AM »

*Piously points at the sky*
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:20:26 AM »

Well yeah I see what you mean if you have a glock and want to do it yourself. Don't enforce it on society though.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »

Well yeah I see what you mean if you have a glock and want to do it yourself. Don't enforce it on society though.

Euthanasia=\= suicide. Euthanasia is almost exclusively used in discussions of the “right to die” of terminally ill patients who are in severe pain.

It’s kinda really stupid and heartless to say “don’t enforce it on society” when no one forces anything on anyone. It’s absolutely legal to walk around in a miniskirt all day but for some reason the government isn’t doing its job and forcing every man, woman, and child to wear one.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »

Yeah, terminally ill persons who are clearly at the end of their lives should be able to receive assistance in dying painlessly if they wish so, without suffering any longer.

No, people do not have a right to receive assistance in killing themselves if they are not physically ill but "simply" do not want to live anymore. Instead, society should help them in making them love their lives again, and the government should fund efforts to so.

Voted yes, but in the Netherlands we should not go any further than we already do.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »

Yeah, terminally ill persons who are clearly at the end of their lives should be able to receive assistance in dying painlessly if they wish so, without suffering any longer.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »

Euthanasia should require the consent of the patient while sober and capable of rational thought. Without meeting that requirement euthanasia should be considered murder.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »

Euthanasia should require the consent of the patient while sober and capable of rational thought. Without meeting that requirement euthanasia should be considered murder.
Also, only if they have a terminal illness. I don't think it should be allowed for just any reason.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »

Also, only if they have a terminal illness. I don't think it should be allowed for just any reason.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »

The thread title sounds like a gothic rock band from the 80's.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:23:26 AM »

The thread title sounds like a gothic rock band from the 80's.

Lol yeah I messed it up D:
lekmanin
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:37 AM »

Funny how you want to start loads of wars but you have a massive moral objection to people who want to die dieing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:17 AM »

When I was in law school, I read this article by a criminal law professor at the law school, and it had an impact on me, and still does. I tend to prefer the messier approach. It does not matter what the law is. If I want to off myself, I will. And I will try to avoid being in situations where I lose that power. The issue is the risk that the right to die, morphs into the duty to die. I find that troubling.

In the real world, what often happens at the end of life is to administer an overdose of morphine. My Dad killed his mother that way, and I saw to it, that that is what happened to my Dad. My grandfather was an MD, so he killed himself with an overdose by his own hand.

I did not vote in the poll. It is too complicated to give a yes or no answer.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »

I thought making a more developed post on this topic in the Religion/Morality thread, but haven't got around to it.

In short, yes, of course, human beings have the right to terminate their own lives, and for any reason. If medically assisted termination (I prefer that term to the word "euthenasia") were a true option, I suspect that most people will chose to end their lives that way over than by so-called natural death -- death by disease, accident, negligence, or murder. Medically assisted termination would abolish the clumsiness and lack of privacy associated with suicide.

I've been told that I overuse analogies, but one is apt: in developed countries, women overwhelmingly choose medically assisted childbirth, with epidurals and even C-sections, over natural childbirth. We need the same option at the end of life.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »

The government has no right to decide who has a "right to die" and who doesn't. Your physical health should never determine what rights you have. Either everyone is allowed to end their life, or no one is.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

The government has no right to decide who has a "right to die" and who doesn't. Your physical health should never determine what rights you have. Either everyone is allowed to end their life, or no one is.
I totally agree with you on this. this is also one of the main reasons I'm against the death penalty.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

I totally agree with you on this. this is also one of the main reasons I'm against the death penalty.

I made no commentary on the death penalty. The death penalty has nothing to do with one's physical health.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 08:41:44 AM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

I saw my grandpa suffer at the end of his life from cancer when he was beyond hope of saving. I saw him wither away right before my eyes. When it eventually happened, he was basically a husk.

So yeah, if a person is sound of mind and suffering from an incurable illness, I see no reason why they shouldn't have the choice.

Also as mentioned above, do not equate suicide with euthanasia. That's a harmful argument.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:02 AM »

No. Read The Giver for more information
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 09:06:20 AM »

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »

The examples in The Giver were not consensual euthanasia. Of course that should be illegal, but it doesn't provide an argument against consensual euthanasia.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »

The examples in The Giver were not consensual euthanasia. Of course that should be illegal, but it doesn't provide an argument against consensual euthanasia.

the thing in my mind is that consensual euthanasia will eventually evolve into forced euthanasia.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »

Yes. In cases of terminal death or a very likely death and the patient wants too save from much suffering, if they can make a rational consent to such actions, then what gives government officials the right to allow for them to suffer more until the last minute they die. However it should be heavily regulated and heavily restricted to only such cases (as most people who support Human euthanasia would agree too i suppose).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies