A Southern Gentlewoman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:36:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Southern Gentlewoman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A Southern Gentlewoman  (Read 4194 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 12:32:42 AM »
« edited: December 12, 2017, 01:05:10 AM by cookiedamage »

Las Vegas - The Bellagio Hotel - January 16, 2008

Senator Lincoln looked at John Edwards on the TV screen, greeting his supporters and shaking hands with solemn campaign aides. Blanche drank her Dr. Pepper as a smile formed on her face.

Edwards began speaking:

"Thank you all very much. We're very proud to be back here..." He began, then recounted his experiences in Hurricane-devastated New Orleans, foreclosed neighborhoods in Ohio, and the plights of the working class of America.

"For decades, we stopped focusing on those struggles. They didn't register in political polls, they didn't get us votes and so we stopped talking about it." He spoke. "Well, in this campaign, we didn't turn our heads. We looked them square in the eye and we said, "We see you, we hear you, and we are with you. And we will never forget you." And I have a feeling that if the leaders of our great Democratic Party continue to hear the voices of working people, a proud progressive will occupy the White House."

Lincoln turned up the volume. She turned her ear towards the TV.

"Now, I've spoken to Senators Obama, Clinton, and Lincoln. They have all pledged to me and more importantly through me to America, that they will make ending poverty central to their campaign for the presidency." He said. Lincoln nodded her head and turned the volume back down, barely listening to Edwards declaring his campaign suspended.

"Bye bye, cheater." She said, turning off the TV.

She threw the remote on the plushy coach and sighed deeply. She looked outside her window and viewed the daytime glow of the Vegas skyline. "Three days." Lincoln said, and went to her campaign event downstairs.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2017, 12:55:22 AM by cookiedamage »

Lincoln touts pro-union record in Las Vegas, speech well received.

January 17 - LAS VEGAS

Senator Blanche Lincoln (Ark.), candidate for the Democratic nomination for President, stormed Las Vegas on the 17th and delivered a well-received speech on the importance of unions, laborism, and worker's rights. She touted her record as a self-declared enemy of employment discrimination, her 77% rating as a pro-union advocate by the AFL-CIO, and her support to raise the minimum wage.

Workers in Las Vegas polled very favorably when it came to Lincoln, and many pundits feel she can pull off a win in this state if the stars align. Her competitors Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama criticized her, however, for a disingenuous spin on her record, noting that she is very pro-business as well.

"You know, the Chamber of Commerce gives her a pretty pro-business rating." Hillary Clinton said in Minnesota yesterday. "I hope people understand one cannot be pro-union and pro-business simultaneously."

Union workers and self-identified union supporters have a mixed opinion towards Lincoln, as the three remaining Democrats have split support from union supporters. Lincoln, however, does command a small plurality of support.

The Nevada Caucus is on January 19th.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »

Diary entry of Blanche Lincoln

January 19, 2008

It's election night for Nevada, and I'm a little queasy. Not as queasy as Iowa, so that's relieving. I'm hopeful, though, and I prayed a little.

Thank god for the proportional allocation. If I win, I get some delegates, if I lose, I get some delegates. I don't really have much else to write, other than fundraising has been through the roof this past week.

- Blanche Lambert Lincoln

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 02:07:44 AM »

LINCOLN CARRIES NEVADA BY A HAIR. STUNNING DEFEAT FOR CLINTON?

Las Vegas - Blanche Lincoln has been declared the winner of the Democratic Nevada caucus, carrying the state with 34.69% of the votes in an incredibly tight contest between herself, Senator Obama, and Senator Clinton.

The election is a stunning upset, with many outlets predicting Clinton to have a comfortable win here. However, Lincoln's aggressive campaigning in Clark County and Clinton's last minute fumbles have allowed Lincoln to capture the county and 9 delegates. However, both Obama and Clinton have 8 delegates each, due to the Democrats' usage of proportional allocation of delegates.

Many pundits have speculated this loss spells serious trouble for Hillary Clinton's campaign, who was seen as the inevitable Democrat last year. Blanche Lincoln has similarly seen a reversal of fortunes as well, being ranked as an "also-ran" by Politico in October of 2007. Now, she's one of only three remaining Democrats and has won Nevada and nearly won Iowa earlier this month.

The Clinton and Obama campaigns remain optimistic towards South Carolina and Super Tuesday, where the most states will hold contests in just one day this electoral season. Lincoln heads into the South Carolina with excitement and visible momentum.

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »

LINCOLN CARRIES NEVADA BY A HAIR. STUNNING DEFEAT FOR CLINTON?

Las Vegas - Blanche Lincoln has been declared the winner of the Democratic Nevada caucus, carrying the state with 34.69% of the votes in an incredibly tight contest between herself, Senator Obama, and Senator Clinton.

The election is a stunning upset, with many outlets predicting Clinton to have a comfortable win here. However, Lincoln's aggressive campaigning in Clark County and Clinton's last minute fumbles have allowed Lincoln to capture the county and 9 delegates. However, both Obama and Clinton have 8 delegates each, due to the Democrats' usage of proportional allocation of delegates.

Many pundits have speculated this loss spells serious trouble for Hillary Clinton's campaign, who was seen as the inevitable Democrat last year. Blanche Lincoln has similarly seen a reversal of fortunes as well, being ranked as an "also-ran" by Politico in October of 2007. Now, she's one of only three remaining Democrats and has won Nevada and nearly won Iowa earlier this month.

The Clinton and Obama campaigns remain optimistic towards South Carolina and Super Tuesday, where the most states will hold contests in just one day this electoral season. Lincoln heads into the South Carolina with excitement and visible momentum.

Hmm... maybe she'll win the nomination after all.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

:-)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »

Bill Clinton accused of racially insensitive comments after Obama win in S.C., Lincoln and Obama pounce.

Just a day after Barack Obama won a decisive victory in South Carolina, Fmr. President Bill Clinton has come under fire for racially insensitive comments comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson and insinuating he is the "black candidate".

Obama allies have expressed outraged at the former President's comment, and black voters of South Carolina clearly voiced their displeasure at previous remarks Clinton has made, resulting in a landslide win for Obama. Hillary Clinton has apologized on behalf of her husband and expressed regret for his words.

Democratic contender Blanche Lincoln, a close third in the race, also chimed in. "Jesse Jackson was and is a great politician who made strides in the primaries in the 1980s. Clinton's comments are brash, rude, and unnecessary." She said. "Do we really want a nominee who stirs race issues and baits such divisions? I think not, and I hope Super Tuesday reinforces that."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »

Obama/Lincoln?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »

Lincoln jabs back at Clinton charge of being pro-business: "You're the Wall Street Democrat, not me."

February 3, 2008, NEWARK -

Recently at a campaign stop visiting brewery workers in Newark, New Jersey, Democratic contender Blanche Lincoln (Arkansas) responded to a recent Hillary Clinton criticism that she's more pro-business than pro-union. Clinton initially made the comment prior to the Nevada caucus, but made a similar comment yesterday in Tennessee.

"And who's representing bankers and financiers in Manhattan, and taking their donations? Because it's not me, and we both know that." Lincoln said. "I'm a Little Rock representative, and I support union workers and small business owners, and you can absolutely be pro-business and pro-union." She said.

When asked if she would be a pro-union president, Lincoln had this to say. "Absolutely, I would support unions and worker's right to organize, but I'd also implore unions to shed some of their corrupt members and leaders. We don't want people's first image of a union to be Jimmy Hoffa." Which elicited some laughs and smiles at the Newark brewery.

Lincoln continued, responding to a question from a young college student about the balance between unions and employers, "The way I truly see it is that worker's rights and fair treatment of laborers is the cornerstone to a democracy, and I think we need unions and collectives to make that work. But I also believe in the rights and considerations of the employer as well, and I will never call myself anti-business."

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »

Porheeps. Also how do y'all like my TL? I'm really enjoying it and plan on continuing it.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »

Porheeps. Also how do y'all like my TL? I'm really enjoying it and plan on continuing it.
Yes, keep it up. Love 2008-based TLs.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »

Yes, keep it up. Love 2008-based TLs.

Thanks! Appreciate it.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »

SUPER TUESDAY 2008! LIVE COVERAGE OF ELECTION RESULTS

Wolf Blitzer:It's election night folks, I'm Wolf Blitzer and you are watching CNN's live coverage of the Super Tuesday primary elections. The Democrats, led by Senators Lincoln, Obama, and Clinton, will be contesting every state marked red on this map. It's an incredibly important day for the day, as it is a make or break day for any three of them.

John King: Wolf, I wouldn't be surprised that if any of them had a bad showing, they would drop out.

Wolf: Really, John? Clinton, Obama, and Lincoln have quite the warchest and long term strategic plan to last the primary.

John: Of course, but a devastating loss tonight, for example, will seriously jeopardize Blanche Lincoln's campaign. Same for Obama and Clinton, as it is an incredibly ferocious three-person campaign that nobody expected a year ago.

Wolf: That is very true, John. It is incredibly important tonight, especially the delegate count.

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »

Accurate representation of 2008 TV quality
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »

Tag yourself I'm "CNN HD"
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »

I'm those 4 numbers in the bottom right corner
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 03:35:37 AM »

John King's high definition face.
Also, this is awesome, keep it up!
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »

John King's high definition face.
Also, this is awesome, keep it up!

Thanks! Expect more tonight or tomorrow.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2017, 10:41:15 PM by cookiedamage »

OBAMA TAKES GEORGIA
FEB 5, 2008 - CNN can now project that Senator Barack Obama has taken the state of Georgia with currently about 60% of the popular vote and therefore winning the primary in that state. He has put many resources into this state, besting Senator Lincoln and Clinton, the latter of which has not been seen in the state much.

New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut too close to call.
The mood is very jubilant in Obama's Georgia HQ. People were expecting win by a convincing margin, but being able to take 60% of the vote in a crowded 3-person race is exhilarating and much needed comfort for Obama allies.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »

New York and Jersey close!? Clinton done for?

PolitiBlog - February 5, 2008 -

As I write this, once safe Clinton states, including her home state of New York, remain incredibly competitive into the night, being contested by three power Democratic Senators. However, what is truly shocking is how Hillary Clinton's home state is being contested, when it should be a home run being called within an hour of coverage launch.

If Obama or Lincoln win either state, Clinton might be done for. She's fumbled frequently throughout the race and has failed to regain lost momentum to her two remaining competitors. If I were a betting woman, I'd say Clinton comes in a distant third and concedes in two weeks. Then, she will run again some day or retire to hold her place as a party elder.

If I weren't a betting woman, I'd wait and see how Clinton does in the Boston and New York Area, and see if she can make some kind of recovery. It's fully possible New Yorkers, Bostonians, and rural whites in these states reject Obama's optimism (and possibly skin color, as being a white democrat does not preclude racism) or Lincoln's moderate liberalism. However, with how much Clinton has fumbled and how Lincoln may be siphoning off the rural white vote from her, Obama may swing in and take states like Massachusetts and Connecticut.

I'll keep my readers updated as we continue into this night.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »

CLINTON TAKES NEW YORK

Hillary Clinton, Senator from New York, has won her state's primary with about 47% of the vote, beating Obama and Lincoln. The closeness of the race spells trouble for Clinton in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Delaware, and Connecticut.

The mood at the Hillary HQ in New York is very dour, with many people anxious and upset. However, aides and campaigners are urging optimism and cheerfulness, as the night is only just beginning.

New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Delaware too close to call. Results from Arkansas, Tennessee, and Oklahoma after the break.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »

LINCOLN TAKES OKLAHOMA

OBAMA TAKES ALABAMA AND CONNECTICUT

New Jersey, Massachusetts, Delaware, Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kansas too close to call
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:50 PM »

LINCOLN TAKES TENNESSEE

Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas has taken Tennessee by a hair, with about 39% of the vote in a contested three-way election, with Obama coming in a close second. The mood at the Lincoln campaign HQ in Newark is absolutely jubilant. Lincoln has been in Jersey the last two days to shore up support amongst many constituencies in the state, including urbanites, laborers, farmers, and working-class whites. Her mood is being told to be, by aides, to be elated and optimisitic.

OBAMA TAKES DELAWARE AND ILLINOIS

Senator Barack Obama has carried Delaware and his home state of Illinois in tonight's primaries, giving the Obama camp two victories in a very tense night. While Illinois was expected to go to Obama in a landslide, Delaware was not, which could spell trouble for Hillary Clinton as the mid-Atlantic is a region we thought she'd do well in, but now that's clearly not the case.

Arkansas, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Minnesota are too close to call
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:11 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2017, 12:06:34 AM by cookiedamage »

OBAMA TAKES MISSOURI AND MINNESOTA

LINCOLN TAKES KANSAS

Arkansas, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and North Dakota too close to call
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 11:31:34 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2017, 12:06:51 AM by cookiedamage »

OBAMA TAKES MASSACHUSETTS AND NORTH DAKOTA

LINCOLN TAKES ARKANSAS

We can now report that Barack Obama has taken Massachusetts and North Dakota while Blanche Lincoln has taken her home state of Arkansas. It sure looks like the Ted Kennedy endorsement has helped Barack Obama in such a contentious three-way race in Massachusetts.

Lincoln's win in Arkansas is a pretty bad blow to Hillary Clinton as well. Despite Clinton's current home in New York, she lived as an attorney in Little Rock and as the First Lady of Arkansas when Fmr. President Bill Clinton was governor in the 1980s. However, it seems Arkansawyers went with the current rather than the best, and Democratic primary voters have selected current Senator from Arkansas Blanche Lincoln as their preferred Presidential nominee.

The mood in all three camps are a total experiment in dichotomy. The Obama and Lincoln camps display degrees of celebration and happiness, while the Clinton camp is silent and very gloom. This really could be the fatal blow that finally kills Clinton's campaign. The rest of the night will have to tell, as delegate rich California is still yet to be called.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies