Is America really too PC or do Trump supporters just not have any tact?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:43:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is America really too PC or do Trump supporters just not have any tact?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is America really too PC or do Trump supporters just not have any tact?  (Read 834 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »

They act like people get arrested or something for saying racial slurs or hating women, when really what they're complaining about is that people think they're a jackass because they won't be considerate of others.

It has nothing to do with censorship, literally these guys just want to be able to say racial slurs and call women sluts without anyone thinking they're a jackass or any other consequences. "America is too politically correct" really just means "People should have to take my abuse but I shouldn't have to take their retaliation"
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »

In my observation, "PC" usually means, "too polite for me".
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2017, 05:22:02 AM by Great Again: Roy Moore's Handmaid's Tale »

It's not just about politeness... remember Naso/Reaganfan ranting about the current sexual harassment debate being as a result of too much "political correctness"?

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that at least most of the male Roy Moore voters think that the allegations brought forward against him are in fact true, but also that they actually shouldn't matter. In that sense, "political correctness" also serves as a code-word for "abolishment of white male privileges". Fighting PC then means trying to get back to the good old days when men could grope women any time it damn well pleased them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:06:35 PM »

It's not just about politeness... remember Naso/Reaganfan ranting about the current sexual harassment debate being as a result of too much "political correctness"?

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that at least most of the male Roy Moore voters think that the allegations brought forward against him are in fact true, but also that they actually shouldn't matter. In that sense, "political correctness" also serves as a code-word for "abolishment of white male privileges". Fighting PC then means trying ro get back to the good old days when men could grope women any time they damn well pleased.

My mother and maternal grandfather have been arguing with my maternal grandmother about this for a bit.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:24:50 AM »

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that at least most of the male Roy Moore voters think that the allegations brought forward against him are in fact true, but also that they actually shouldn't matter. In that sense, "political correctness" also serves as a code-word for "abolishment of white male privileges". Fighting PC then means trying ro get back to the good old days when men could grope women any time they damn well pleased.

My mother and maternal grandfather have been arguing with my maternal grandmother about this for a bit.

...did your maternal grandmother enjoy being groped by male bosses and coworkers?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »

Political correctness and politeness are absolutely different things to me. I generally try to be polite, but see absolutely nothing offensive in calling Blacks "Black" and Whites - "White", for example. Open slurs and really offensive words (like "n***er") - another matter.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:49:26 AM »

...did your maternal grandmother enjoy being groped by male bosses and coworkers?

No, it’s just a “Hollywood/famous people thing”. It’s weird, though, because she’s also the best person I know. She has mentioned several times the “emasculation of men” - I don’t think she got it from Hannity, Levin, or Limbaugh, though. I can assure you that if anyone she knew did it, she would be horrified, but it seems that she has placed politicians and celebrities on a pedestal.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:55 AM »

Generally speaking, the people who complain about "political correctness" are the same people who become extremely offended when their worldview is challenged; so, no.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 04:09:48 AM »

Generally speaking, the people who complain about "political correctness" are the same people who become extremely offended when their worldview is challenged; so, no.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »

False dichotomy.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »

mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »

America is too PC and the most vocal prominent Trump supporters are assholes.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »

Agree on both points...
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »

Agree on both points...

^ also agreed
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »

I'd like to think I grew up in a good traditional American family. Both my parents worked, I never heard anything racist or sexist, and I had a good childhood.

That being said, the definitions of things change. People forget that liberals have a much broader spectrum of what they consider racism or sexism than many others do. This plays into the notion of moral equivalence with things like crazy klan protesters and black lives matter. In the type of American household I grew up in, which I think reflects many other Midwest families, both would be seen as egregious, pitting us against each other racially. What modern liberals believe is that one is good and the other is not. That's less mainstream than how it is seen by millions of other Americans.

So when President Trump says "both sides", people like me nod our heads in agreement while liberals have conniptions.

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »

Political Correctness is a minor issue, but oftentimes people claim you're being PC when you tell them they can't use racial slurs or other such words.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »

It's not so much a matter of wording things politely as it is a matter of American culture being opposed to saying anything of importance at all. We need to have actual conversations about principles and truth again, instead of feigning outrage and talking about the weather. Shaming an argument is not the same as refuting it.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

I'm just a strong believer in that you should be able to retaliate tenfold on whoever attacks your interests, which includes people who are rude to you.

The only way I was able to end the bullying against me when I was a child was because when someone would insult or disrespect me, I would beat the crap out of them, I think that's a good rule for everyone to follow.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »

I'd like to think I grew up in a good traditional American family. Both my parents worked, I never heard anything racist or sexist, and I had a good childhood.

That being said, the definitions of things change. People forget that liberals have a much broader spectrum of what they consider racism or sexism than many others do. This plays into the notion of moral equivalence with things like crazy klan protesters and black lives matter. In the type of American household I grew up in, which I think reflects many other Midwest families, both would be seen as egregious, pitting us against each other racially. What modern liberals believe is that one is good and the other is not. That's less mainstream than how it is seen by millions of other Americans.

So when President Trump says "both sides", people like me nod our heads in agreement while liberals have conniptions.

Naso, it's not about "one is good and the other is bad"... it's not so black and white (no pun intended).

Liberals, like myself, take the entire situation and experience of blacks in America, including their history of oppression and how they are treated today into account when we defend Black Lives Matter.  Those that want to hurt anybody in the BLM movement should not be supported... but many of the things that BLM is fighting for are good causes.

The klan and the alt-right fight for exclusionary policies, purity, and authoritarian conformity based on fear which has turned into hate and contempt which often comes from their self-reinforcing propaganda.  Even things that might seem good being fought for by the alt-right (such as promoting stable families) are tinged with exclusion and hate.

Just as it is impossible for you to see this any other way than in "black and white" and "both sides are bad"... it is impossible for me to see it that way.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »

Who says the two are mutually exclusive?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »

America is too PC to lynch Trump supporters in the streets as they deserve.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »

We've had literal riots on college campuses to stop politically incorrect speakers from exercising their first amendment rights. When Milo came to a campus near me, they fortunately didn't riot, but they did hold a safe space event sponsored by every single dean and nearly every club. People are afraid to speak out. Colleges are increasingly echo chambers.

People can lose their careers for having controversial opinions, no matter how well supported. A great example is Jason Richwine. He was able to get his phd from Harvard for a dissertation that, among other things, talked about how third world immigration was lowering America's average IQ. When left wing activists brought to the attention of his employer, the Heritage Foundation (supposedly a conservative think tank that defends free speech), he was promptly fired. If he was really so wrong, they'd want a debate. The only reason to resort to such censorship is if you know you are wrong or if you are incapable of controlling emotional outbursts when something offends you.

I will also acknowledge that your typical Boomer republican is far to eager to ban flag burning, national anthem kneeling, etc, but I haven't seen them shutting down speakers as the left does routinely.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »

We've had literal riots on college campuses to stop politically incorrect speakers from exercising their first amendment rights. When Milo came to a campus near me, they fortunately didn't riot, but they did hold a safe space event sponsored by every single dean and nearly every club. People are afraid to speak out. Colleges are increasingly echo chambers.

People can lose their careers for having controversial opinions, no matter how well supported. A great example is Jason Richwine. He was able to get his phd from Harvard for a dissertation that, among other things, talked about how third world immigration was lowering America's average IQ. When left wing activists brought to the attention of his employer, the Heritage Foundation (supposedly a conservative think tank that defends free speech), he was promptly fired. If he was really so wrong, they'd want a debate. The only reason to resort to such censorship is if you know you are wrong or if you are incapable of controlling emotional outbursts when something offends you.

I will also acknowledge that your typical Boomer republican is far to eager to ban flag burning, national anthem kneeling, etc, but I haven't seen them shutting down speakers as the left does routinely.

Do you think it's not a constitutional right for morons to create safe spaces? as stupid as it is, it's their right to do so. it only hurts them. Just like people using racial slurs. My problem is that people using racial slurs act like they'll get arrested for doing it.

In regards to universities turning into echo chambers, I go to the most redneck university, literally there are people at my university who use "negro" instead of "black" so clearly not every college is stupidly ultra liberal.

Also, boomer Republicans tend to support the communist pyramid scheme known as Social Security. Meaning they aren't really Republicans. Younger Republicans are best, because we support visionaries like Paul Ryan and Dick Cheney.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 04:44:01 AM »

Also, boomer Republicans tend to support the communist pyramid scheme known as Social Security. Meaning they aren't really Republicans. Younger Republicans are best, because we support visionaries like Paul Ryan and Dick Cheney.
Cheney is/was against Social Security?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies