How would Elizabeth warren perform in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How would Elizabeth warren perform in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How would Elizabeth warren perform in 2020  (Read 931 times)
King Lear
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:38:39 AM »

Though she is my favorite senator I'm not that confident she can perform that well against trump for obvious reason it would be interesting what other posters think.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:44:21 AM »

She can win and would do well if her message triumphs over her personal negatives-big if. She has more downside than most Democrats but also strong upside in her economic message and populism. Still in most scenarios given Trump's unpopularity and her being better than Hillary she'd take the upper Midwest and win.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »

I have no idea, but I’d guess she’d narrowly win by carrying the Hillary states plus Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.  Warren may be a bid populist for Florida and other sunbelt states.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »

Here's my prediction

I could see Warren winning AZ or OH or IA
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »

I think she is one of the weakest of the dems prominent options. She lacks Obama’s charisma, lacks crossover appeal to the type of moderate Romney-Clinton voters that Hillary courted, doesn’t provide an age contrast with Trump, comes from a safe D state with a track record of losing candidates, and her Native American claims provide easy fodder for Trump. That said, she would probably motivate turnout and activism from progressives and Trump is unpopular enough that even a weaker candidate could beat him.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:32 PM »

She's basically Sanders-lite, so if you think Sanders would win easily, then Warren should win easily as well.

Of course, there is that gender thing working against her...which is 1/3 of why Hillary lost (the other 2/3 being Hillary's own weakness's dating back to her time as FLOTUS, and Russia backing Trump).
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:50:45 AM »

Hmmm... preferably live, though a recorded performance would be acceptable if there is any major issue with her health.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 02:42:58 AM »

She would be toast. It would be handing Trump re-election which is shocking to even type.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:47:18 AM »

Not the best option Democrats have but all she would need to do is hold on to Hillary's states and add the three "rust belt" states that she lost by less than 2 points. She could win, but the presidency itself would probably be even less eventful than Obama's.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:53:38 AM »

It'll depend on how well Elizabeth Warren would do with the WWC. She doesn't appeal well to Romney-Clinton voters, although she can unite the party, largely because she's a partisan hack. Many on the board seem to think she's condescending but to me, but I'm not sure why. Honestly if there's a Wall Street collapse, she's the perfect candidate due to her populist anti-Wall Street message.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:05:28 AM »

Why does everyone believe warren is toast, but gillibrand would win in a landslide? this makes no sense especially considering warren focuses on the left-wing economic policies that could turn out the democratic base in the rust belt while gillibrand focuses on culture war issues that will encourage massive waves of bigoted white voters to flood the polls for trump while the democratic base will feel ignored.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 04:32:33 AM »

Why does everyone believe warren is toast, but gillibrand would win in a landslide? this makes no sense especially considering warren focuses on the left-wing economic policies that could turn out the democratic base in the rust belt while gillibrand focuses on culture war issues that will encourage massive waves of bigoted white voters to flood the polls for trump while the democratic base will feel ignored.

This is Atlas.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:17 AM »

I like her better as a VP candidate. Infact, I am 99,9% sure that Hillary would have been president now if she had picked Warren over snoozefest Kaine. In a couple of years from now, "who was Hillary Clintons VP candidate in 2016?" and nobody will be able to remember.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »

The "Pocahontas" thing resonates with folks.  It reveals Warren to be phony at levels that are important to people. 

I don't believe that Trump just came up with that moniker and blurted it out on the campaign trail.  He KNEW this would make Warren appear to be insincere and calculating, and it does.  And it's based in something that (A) is true, and (B) that folks think is cheesy.  I'm sure that a number of Democrats here who would never publicly admit their diminished enthusiasm for Warren based on her phony pretense of being "Native American" think of this and have a general "Yuccch!" feeling about the issue. 

How important this negative about Warren will be remains to be seen.  It has, IMO, thrown Warren off her game.  Warren actually has some legitimate working class bona fides, but faking the Native American thing reinforces her image as an Ivory Tower Elitist Phony.  I don't know how she'll fully overcome that. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »

It'll depend on how well Elizabeth Warren would do with the WWC. She doesn't appeal well to Romney-Clinton voters, although she can unite the party, largely because she's a partisan hack. Many on the board seem to think she's condescending but to me, but I'm not sure why. Honestly if there's a Wall Street collapse, she's the perfect candidate due to her populist anti-Wall Street message.

I don't really buy into that narrative, but Warren is definitely a lot more "shrill" than Gillibrand.
SKY
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »

Though she is my favorite senator I'm not that confident she can perform that well against trump for obvious reason it would be interesting what other posters think.

About as well as McGovern
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »

Yes, Warren is such a terrible candidate, she'd probably lose New York by 17% and California by 13.5%.... /s
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »

The country is too polarized for that. Warren I think is one of the weaker candidates.
SKY
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »

Yes, Warren is such a terrible candidate, she'd probably lose New York by 17% and California by 13.5%.... /s

Slight exaggeration but I think she is the WORST potential candidate on the left. Hillary 2020 has more hope.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »

I don't see her being the best candidate but she could win in this landscape.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »

She is the worst possible candidate the Democrats could put (of the likely/speculated candidates). That being said, she'd win a 2012-style victory, with an EC landslide
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »

The "Pocahontas" thing resonates with folks.  It reveals Warren to be phony at levels that are important to people. 

I don't believe that Trump just came up with that moniker and blurted it out on the campaign trail.  He KNEW this would make Warren appear to be insincere and calculating, and it does.  And it's based in something that (A) is true, and (B) that folks think is cheesy.  I'm sure that a number of Democrats here who would never publicly admit their diminished enthusiasm for Warren based on her phony pretense of being "Native American" think of this and have a general "Yuccch!" feeling about the issue. 

How important this negative about Warren will be remains to be seen.  It has, IMO, thrown Warren off her game.  Warren actually has some legitimate working class bona fides, but faking the Native American thing reinforces her image as an Ivory Tower Elitist Phony.  I don't know how she'll fully overcome that. 

Phony?  Absolutely.  Elitist?  How is lying that you're part American Indian elitist?  Elizabeth Warren is about as "elitist" as Doug Jones is conservative.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »

Warren possibly wins narrowly in both the popular and electoral vote but gets crushed in her re election against Ted Cruz or Matt Bevin
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »

Here's my prediction

I could see Warren winning AZ or OH or IA
Ohio and Iowa possibly, but Arizona? North Carolina is more likely to be flipped.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »

Evan in her worst possible performance she would still win all the double-digit Clinton states and 45% of the national popular vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies