ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Rules, OOC and Sign Up Thread) (CLOSED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:29:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Rules, OOC and Sign Up Thread) (CLOSED)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Rules, OOC and Sign Up Thread) (CLOSED)  (Read 6088 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
« edited: January 30, 2018, 11:07:09 PM by Lumine »

ALEA IACTA EST:
A Roman Republic Game:
By Lumine

Synopsis: The year is 53 BC. For six years the unlikely alliance of Caesar, Pompey and Crassus has dominated Roman politics through their enormous influence among the Senate, Knights and the people, leaving moderates like Cicero, outcasts like Clodius and the aristocratic faction of Cato isolated as the "Triumvirs" continue their uneasy pact. While Pompey remains in Rome grieving the death of his wife Julia and looking closely at the politics inside the city, Caesar is on the fifth year of his wars in Gaul fighting Ambiorix and the Belgian Tribes, and Crassus trains his armies in Syria while preparing his invasion of Parthia. Not only prominent Senators, but even foreign Kings plot around the struggle for power inside Rome as the Republic seemingly reigns supreme across the Mediterranean. But as the struggle turns violent once again... how much will the political balance shift?

Rules:

OVERVIEW: Starting on the year 53 BC you will play either as prominent Roman senators or foreign chieftains and kings, with the clear purpose of amassing power and rising as high as you can in this violent era. Romans will strive to become the most powerful man in Rome and cement their power for a long time, while foreign rulers will do their best to secure their independence and see their own tribes or kingdoms rise to challenge the might of the Roman Republic. You will take part of debates in the Senate, influence elections, partake in ancient warfare, enact plots to undermine your rivals, seek new alliances and do what you feel is necessary to win.

TURNS: Each turn runs for exactly twelve months starting on 53 BC, ensuring we can move fast while still covering a decent amount of time. Should a Roman Civil War ever start (being defined by a player rising against the Senate), then turns will be shortened to six months for the duration of the war to allow for a more engaging simulation. Each turn will bring with itself the elections for the next year in Rome, something very important for your characters and their allies. Players can communicate with each other within reason (Cato is not about to suddenly start talking to Orodes of Parthia, or Auletes to Vercingertorix), but I insist on being either included in the PM's or made aware of the discussions that are taking place. Otherwise penalties will follow for players who act behind the GM's back.

POLITICS: Roman players can take part in the Senate presenting, debating or voting on motions, as well as take part in elections by running candidates, giving speeches and endorsements, engaging in tactics, bribery and rumours of all sorts. While we consider a reality in which several different magistratures exist, the focus will always be on the Consular elections (with RL candidates), and the elections for the Tribunes of the Plebs, in which we will simulate how many tribunes belong to each character or faction.

REALISM: Players will be given a decent degree of action to diverge from OTL history so long as their actions are at least plausible at the eyes of the GM. That means you can attempt to innovate in several areas, but it also means you cannot change fundamental facts like, for example, the famous rivalry and hatred between Cato and Caesar, or Clodius and Cicero. In that sense non-Roman players have their most significant advantage, being granted some extra room to maneuver to match the advantages of Roman players.

WARFARE: Warfare will be based on the strategic sense more than the tactical, although truly large battles involving several players may be simulated in greater detail in a Roman Civil War. For Roman players their armies will always be based on legions (or cohorts) and auxiliary forces, whereas the non-Roman players will see their forces organized in infantry, cavalry and so on. Non-Roman players will be able to recruit men from a manpower pool of their own territories, whereas Roman players will be restricted to their rank and by the designs of the Senate. Think twice before recruiting a large army without the approval of the Senate... Warfare will be simulated through my dice roll system, already used in ASOIAF games.

STATS: Non-Roman players will be subject to two stats: popularity and money. For the Roman players it will be a bit more complicated, as we determine Senate popularity (showcasing the pull the player has within the Senate) and Public popularity (noting how popular he is with the people of Rome itself) alongside money. While I won't be using precise amounts of money to avoid overcomplicating things, these stats will mark important differences in simulation, so be mindful of them. You don't want to be hated after all...
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »

Mithridates is actually Orodes II's brother Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »

Mithridates is actually Orodes II's brother Smiley

Mithridates III is dead as per OTL, this Mithridates is a young son of his I've placed to show the scars of the Parthian Civil War continue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »

Took some time, but there we have families, map and troops. Now I need to finish writing the turn crises, the election events for 53 BC and, of course, the Senate thread.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »

We're done! Turn begins now, you have exactly a week (which means senate votes will be open on Sunday morning). If players are active enough, I may have material for mid-turn updates starting from this turn.

Have fun!
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 09:17:08 AM »

When will we be getting our secret goals?
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »

so, how does one sign up for this game?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

Today in the afternoon.

Well, you claim a character that interests you (and that I can feasibly allow to be playable). Is there anyone from the time period that you're interested in?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »

Today in the afternoon.

Well, you claim a character that interests you (and that I can feasibly allow to be playable). Is there anyone from the time period that you're interested in?

Phillip II Philoromaeus
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »

Today in the afternoon.

Phillip II Philoromaeus

That would have been fascinating, actually, but he was deposed several years ago by this point in time. Any other character?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

Maybe a former Seleucid soldier who is fighting for the Romans? Idk, I just like the Seleucid Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

Lumine,
In which thread exactly can I post?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »

Maybe a former Seleucid soldier who is fighting for the Romans? Idk, I just like the Seleucid Tongue

Too specific I'm afraid. I can offer you one of the smaller Kingdoms like Numidia, Armenia, the Bosphoran Kingdom, Thrace or the Dacians.

Lumine,

Oh, your thread is the Gameplay Thread. Strictly speaking non-Roman players can send ambassadors to the Senate in the Senate Thread, but since you're not a monarch the Gameplay Thread is were you can post.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »

Also, I updated the map! It should show the Nabatean Kingdom now, plus all the way to the eastern border of Parthia (plus the Indo-Scythians and the Yuezhi).
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 04:06:45 PM »

Too specific I'm afraid. I can offer you one of the smaller Kingdoms like Numidia, Armenia, the Bosphoran Kingdom, Thrace or the Dacians.

Lumine,

Oh, your thread is the Gameplay Thread. Strictly speaking non-Roman players can send ambassadors to the Senate in the Senate Thread, but since you're not a monarch the Gameplay Thread is were you can post.

I'll have Thrace.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »

Am I going to be added into the game soon, Lumine?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »

Great! You'll be added next turn though, I need some time to do some extra research on Thrace.

Event coming in a few minutes!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 07:48:04 PM »

A few friendly reminders:

-Include me in the PM's, for the love of the gods! Several of you are not doing so, and if this continues I'll have to impose penalties.

-Tomorrow morning the time for extra motions end, meaning that from Saturday to Tuesday the Senate only allows debate and voting, but no more motions.

-Turn ends early on Tuesday, so I can post updates on the afternoon of that day.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »

Great! You'll be added next turn though, I need some time to do some extra research on Thrace.

Alright. Do I just wait and not do anything until next turn?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »

Indeed! You can use the time to plan or do extra research, but your crises and army numbers will be ready next turn.

Gentlemen, voting is open in the Senate. You can post your votes or send them via PM, not voting counts as if you abstained and that has consecuences of its own. There's 48 hours left in the turn, so send your orders soon!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »

Indeed! You can use the time to plan or do extra research, but your crises and army numbers will be ready next turn.

Gentlemen, voting is open in the Senate. You can post your votes or send them via PM, not voting counts as if you abstained and that has consecuences of its own. There's 48 hours left in the turn, so send your orders soon!

I have my strategy ready. Now I am just waiting for the next run. I also have enough research to last for the next 6-7 years.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »

I'm sorry but I will have to withdraw.

I'm so busy irl so I won't be at all to be active, and an NPC Vercingetorix, considering his importance, would be far more preferable than an inactive player.

Best wishes everyone, hopefully I will be able to join later Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »

Only a few hours left and several players haven't sent orders. Not sure what to do here.

I'm so busy irl so I won't be at all to be active, and an NPC Vercingetorix, considering his importance, would be far more preferable than an inactive player.

Thanks for letting us know, Windjammer.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »

Only a few hours left and several players haven't sent orders. Not sure what to do here.

I think, for the first turn, we great it like the character was inactive for the year. If the inactivity continues, perhaps we'll need to have a talk about it.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »

I think, for the first turn, we great it like the character was inactive for the year. If the inactivity continues, perhaps we'll need to have a talk about it.

Agreed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies