Kaptur: Women's clothes are an 'invitation' for harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:09:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kaptur: Women's clothes are an 'invitation' for harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kaptur: Women's clothes are an 'invitation' for harassment  (Read 1897 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »

People, read her actual comments in full. This is being taken out of context.

And even if it wasn't, she shouldn't go. This is, at worst, a gaffe, not harassment or assault, it's not even victim blaming. Kaptur has fought for working folks harder and longer than most, and to morons like Progressive Canadian, Kaptur was also one of 3 electeds in Ohio to endorse Sanders. She's not going anywhere, nor should she.

Again - +100. And - damn that "reflexively progressive" idiots! Go f**k yourself, guys...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Could someone tell me exactly how her "comments in full" are beinq taken out of context here? Because to me it looks like she's sayinq exactly what the thread topic is implyinq.

I'm willinq to qive her the benefit of the doubt and assume she misspoke, because of how she immediately clarified "under no circumstances is it the victim's fault" once this story broke. She had to explicitly clarify that's not what she meant because if you take her comments at face value it is literally what she was sayinq (and everyone who heard her comments seemed to immediately recoqnize it as such).

I'm alarmed at how many people here find nothinq wronq with the contents of her qaffe. Even if you iqnore the fact that Conqress already has a ridiculously strict dress code for women, her comments are very clearly problematic in the context in which they were spoken.

No matter how "deep" her cleavaqe may be, it's not a woman's responsibility to prevent herself from beinq harassed. Women are not in any way to blame when a man harasses them reqardless of the circumstances. This is a ridiculously misoqynistic attitude. Please, folks - if you actually aqree with her comments, please take a step back and think critically for a moment. This kind of sexist attitude is what perpetuates rape culture.  No victim of sexual assault or harassment should ever be considered responsible in any way for what they suffered from.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »

^^exactly my take. And if anything, I feel like my topic title was a bit too generous to Kaptur.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »

Guess what, cleavage showing or not, the boobs are still there, Marcy!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »

Completely out of context. Kaptur is a good woman and great congressperson.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 05:05:03 PM »

Guess what, cleavage showing or not, the boobs are still there, men!

And moreover, no amount of visible skin construes an "invitation" for sexual assault. Anyone who actually thinks that way is a f**king relic.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »

Could someone tell me exactly how her "comments in full" are beinq taken out of context here? Because to me it looks like she's sayinq exactly what the thread topic is implyinq.

I'm willinq to qive her the benefit of the doubt and assume she misspoke, because of how she immediately clarified "under no circumstances is it the victim's fault" once this story broke. She had to explicitly clarify that's not what she meant because if you take her comments at face value it is literally what she was sayinq (and everyone who heard her comments seemed to immediately recoqnize it as such).

I'm alarmed at how many people here find nothinq wronq with the contents of her qaffe. Even if you iqnore the fact that Conqress already has a ridiculously strict dress code for women, her comments are very clearly problematic in the context in which they were spoken.

No matter how "deep" her cleavaqe may be, it's not a woman's responsibility to prevent herself from beinq harassed. Women are not in any way to blame when a man harasses them reqardless of the circumstances. This is a ridiculously misoqynistic attitude. Please, folks - if you actually aqree with her comments, please take a step back and think critically for a moment. This kind of sexist attitude is what perpetuates rape culture.  No victim of sexual assault or harassment should ever be considered responsible in any way for what they suffered from.

Uh...is your g key broken? lol
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 07:01:27 PM »

No matter how "deep" her cleavaqe may be, it's not a woman's responsibility to prevent herself from beinq harassed. Women are not in any way to blame when a man harasses them reqardless of the circumstances. This is a ridiculously misoqynistic attitude. Please, folks - if you actually aqree with her comments, please take a step back and think critically for a moment. This kind of sexist attitude is what perpetuates rape culture.  No victim of sexual assault or harassment should ever be considered responsible in any way for what they suffered from.

As she herself made clear in clarifying her statement.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:54 PM »

Why are there so many septuagenarians and octogenarians in the democratic caucus? Retire already
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:13 PM »

Why are there so many septuagenarians and octogenarians in the democratic caucus? Retire already

Because Democrats don't stupidly primary out their effective legislators when they aren't fringe enough. And remember, seniority is good for the people who live in districts with such members.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:34 PM »

Wait, saying that wearing suggestive clothing could be seen as suggestive is controversial now in the Democratic Party?

At least this gave me an opportunity to read more about her.

Honestly she's probably one of my favorite politicians now, lol. She is left of me on a lot of issues, sure, but she tells it like it is, is fiercely patriotic (and not in the America f!*k ya kind of way), and she consistently champions middle class workers and social programs without being a hack or caring what the national party says.

If she is forced to resign over speaking the truth I will be very upset with the national party.

This.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 01:13:01 AM »

Because if you get elected to a stereotypical safe D seat, it's effectively your's for life.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:59 AM »

Terrible gaffe but otherwise one of the best US Congresswomen.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »

she only votes 72-28 dem in a D+25 seat. just, no
BundouYMB

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »

Obviously, women should be allowed to wear whatever they want, and it would be great if they could do so without fear. That's the way the world should work. Unfortunately, in reality there will always be harassers anyways. Just like it's a good idea for women to carry pepper spray, it's worth discussing if there are practical ways to reduce sexual harassment since in reality it's impossible to just stop all crime from happening.

What she said is actually very reasonable, and she was not victim-blaming.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »

Citation desperately needed. Kaptur is among the most progressive members of the House. She was one of Bernie's few Ohio supporters, for Christ's sake.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »

Citation desperately needed. Kaptur is among the most progressive members of the House. She was one of Bernie's few Ohio supporters, for Christ's sake.

oh, sorry, was looking at marcia fudge
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »

yes lol
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »

These comments are unacceptable in the context, because this is not the conversation we need to be having. If some men are unable to control themselves around a woman showing cleavage, they need to quit their job, or perhaps be institutionalized. Whether a woman should wear revealing clothing should never even be brought up as a question. Criticize those who allow themselves to be distracted by it, it's their problem.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »

Whether or not you endorsed Bernie is hardly the end all be all of your progressive credentials. Just look at Lipinski, Gabbard, and the fact that he won Dixiecrats in WV/OK/KY, etc.

Her comment is inexcusable, which is why she immediately walked it back.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 05:20:53 AM »

For the people concerned about "speaking the truth" I really don't think suggestive clothing is a particularly important factor in sexual harassment. Nor should we accept it to be.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies