Could Roy Moore have won in any state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Roy Moore have won in any state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Could Roy Moore have won in any state?  (Read 2930 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 11:04:27 AM »

Joe Dorman the guy running against Fallin managed to be 41% of the vote in 2014 and & OK had a Dem elected Governor & AG as recently at 2010. I would actually say OK Dems are better off than AL Dems the state is way less racially polarized than AL just a lot less black voters to work with.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »

North Dakota, Idaho, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Utah, Wyoming (I basically took the Alabama PVI of R+14 and decided to presume that every point of R PVI increase would result in a half a point of the overall vote switching from Jones to Moore, so this means every state with PVI of R+16 and higher results in Moore winning).
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »

I think Alabama was the best state for Moore. States like Idaho and Oklahoma have more of an elastic voting population than Alabama, and they would've easily rejected him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

North Dakota, Idaho, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Utah, Wyoming (I basically took the Alabama PVI of R+14 and decided to presume that every point of R PVI increase would result in a half a point of the overall vote switching from Jones to Moore, so this means every state with PVI of R+16 and higher results in Moore winning).

Write off Utah. Fire-and-brimstone Evangelicals like Moore hate Mormons and and the latter despise religious intolerance, like the one Moore constantly spewed about Muslims.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »

Yeah, I'm not an expert but WV doesn't strike me as the kind of state that likes Moore. They're represented in the senate by Moore Capito and Manchin, after all. In fact, I'd imagine Jones' message of "I'm a great white hunter and let's fix education" would work pretty well in WV.

I'd also lean Oklahoma. If Bushie is any guidance it has the same brand of hypocritical false Christianity that Moore represents and way less black people.

I don't see any way Moore wins WV vs. Jones.  Pre-2012 Democratic primary (and pre-Ice Spear rants, LOL), WV really didn't get lumped in with the likes of AL or MS.  It's a culturally Southern state in many ways, but it's not very evangelical, really didn't have that bad of a civil rights history for a Southern state (to my knowledge) and was perfectly willing to send some very liberal Democrats to Washington, DC.  It's currently being treated like an ex-girlfriend who found a new, absolutely hated boyfriend by red avatars here, but I think Roy Moore would lose by 10+, possibly more.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »

Yeah, he could have won Alabama with a better campaign.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »

Moore definitely wouldn't win in North Dakota, West Virginia, Utah, or Wyoming. Idaho and Oklahoma would be close but I still have trouble seeing Moore winning in either state.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »

Oklahoma comes to mind there is no significant minority population and while Oklahoma and Tulsa county make up 36% of the state population I doubt a Democrat can get a large enough margin to offset the rest of the state. Idaho and Wyoming are other possibilities but they lack the racial polarization and right wing political activism like the SBC that allowed Moore to rise in the first place.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »

I don't see any way Moore wins WV vs. Jones.  Pre-2012 Democratic primary (and pre-Ice Spear rants, LOL), WV really didn't get lumped in with the likes of AL or MS.  It's a culturally Southern state in many ways, but it's not very evangelical, really didn't have that bad of a civil rights history for a Southern state (to my knowledge) and was perfectly willing to send some very liberal Democrats to Washington, DC.  It's currently being treated like an ex-girlfriend who found a new, absolutely hated boyfriend by red avatars here, but I think Roy Moore would lose by 10+, possibly more.

The Times They Are a-Changin’. Moore would probably lose, but I don't think it would be the blowout you seem to suggest, especially given the small number of minority voters the Democrats could build on, Trump's endorsement of Moore and his continuing popularity in the state. Also not sure how the state's past is relevant here?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »

The Times They Are a-Changin’. Moore would probably lose, but I don't think it would be the blowout you seem to suggest, especially given the small number of minority voters the Democrats could build on, Trump's endorsement of Moore and his continuing popularity in the state. Also not sure how the state's past is relevant here?

It's worth noting that the Alabama electorate that turned out gave Trump an evenly split approval rating, so the race pretty much fell along those lines. Of course, that was because a lot of Republicans/right wing independents that couldn't stomach Moore stayed home. But Trump having that low of an approval among the electorate that would show up in WV/OK seems pretty implausible.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »

RINO Tom still believes that WV voters are just looking for a liberal with the right accent...
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 07:23:30 PM »

WV is much more prone to ticket splitting so Jones would have wiped Moore out there. Wyoming and Oklahoma may be more Republican but Moore probably is a better fit in Alabama. Wyoming may be possible. Honestly though Moore's pretty pathetic if he can't win as a Republican in Alabama, and against a pro-choice liberal to boot.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »

It's worth noting that the Alabama electorate that turned out gave Trump an evenly split approval rating, so the race pretty much fell along those lines. Of course, that was because a lot of Republicans/right wing independents that couldn't stomach Moore stayed home. But Trump having that low of an approval among the electorate that would show up in WV/OK seems pretty implausible.

Yes, I know. And I wasn't saying that Jones couldn't possibly win or that the electorate showing up in a special election wouldn't be more D-friendly, but part of the reason Jones did so well in AL is because urban and suburban Republicans/Republican-leaning voters either defected to Jones or stayed home and Black turnout was through the roof. Such a winning strategy would not be easy to replicate in WV, and Democrats would obviously have to win over more Trump voters there than in AL. Sure, Manchin and Justice won in WV, but I don't think that necessarily proves that Jones would have had an easy path to victory as well, which is what RINO Tom seems to be insinuating. Moore would underperform badly in counties like Jefferson, Berkeley, Monongalia, Kanawha, etc., but I'm not sure if the rural areas would swing enough to the left for Jones to win in a landslide. Gun to my head, Jones wins by 2-3 or something like that, but if the SWVA results are any indication (I know it's a questionable comparison, but still), Democrats will have a hard time making up lost ground in WV.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »

Moore would have never won a primary in WV, Wyoming, or Idaho to begin with due to cultural differences. He stands a chance in Oklahoma and Arkansas as they have less minorities than Alabama, but it balances out with more elastic white voters.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »

I don't think Roy Moore would've beaten Doug Jones in any state, even traditionally Republican ones. Jones would've won in every single state, many of them by huge landslides.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »

RINO Tom still believes that WV voters are just looking for a liberal with the right accent...

Come on, man.  I didn't even insinuate that.  I just insinuated that a Democrat would beat Moore in WV, and given AL could even make that happen, I don't think that's ridiculous.  Manchin probably beats an infinitely better Repub next year.

TN Vol, the past isn't really a good predictor of the future or anything, but it's certainly not irrelevant, IMO.  Moore was an incredibly, uniquely bad Republican, and there are more voters in WV that have recently pulled the trigger for a Democrat than in Alabama.  This isn't some overarching commentary about what I wish to see in a realignment or comment about WV's political figure ... it's simply that I think there's a decent amount of evidence that a Democrat could beat an alleged pedohphile Republican in WV.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »

If anything, maybe West Virginia. Not a chance Idaho or Wyoming Mormons would vote for him.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies