What gubernatorial race are you looking most forward to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What gubernatorial race are you looking most forward to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What gubernatorial race are you looking most forward to?  (Read 1801 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 01:58:50 PM »

Kansas, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, and Michigan...possibly Texas depending on how much fight Lupe Valdez can pull off.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »

Wisconsin is the only one I really see as a marquee race.
I'm biased, but this. I want to see Fuhrer Walker lose and it will be interesting to see if Democrats can replicate Obama's 2008/2012 magic in Western Wisconsin. Wisconsin is so incredibly polarized, but with a lot of geographic/political areas that will be interesting to watch next year. We will see how much Democrats can run it up in the cities, if they can get big African-American turnout, win back rural Obama-Trump counties, cut into the margins in rural areas in general, and perform better in the suburbs. Wisconsin is quite possibly the quintessential jack-of-all-trades in this regard.

Also, the WI GOP is god awful and I want to see them get kicked to the curb.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »

WI and OH, Kasich and Walker rode the wave of Obamacare and the GOP party wanted to repeal Obamacare. Looking forward to winning those seats
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »

Florida: Duh.

Kansas: I hope that Greg Orman can pull it off.

Massachusetts: Charlie Baker is one of my favorite governors, and I would love to him win again.

Nebraska: Bob Krist will be interesting to watch. Will he win? Most likely not, but I want to see how well he will do, especially if the Democratic Party endorses him.

Ohio: This will show whether or not TD's timeline becomes a reality.

Vermont: Phil Scott is my other favorite governor, and I would love to see his big re-election.

Wisconsin: I want to see Scott Walker win another term.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »

Pennsylvania, Wolf getting re-elected would be a huge boon for redistricting efforts but we could get fair maps a little bit earlier if the court case pans out.

Florida: another huge one for redistricting and next Gov will likely swing the balance of the Supreme Court. The liberal judges kept the fair districts amendment in place and struck down past partisan maps and a host of other dumb GOP laws. Dem Governor can also move to restore felon voting rights, imagine if Crist had won and restored 1.6 million people's rights, could've swung the election.

Wisconsin: Would love to see the odious Walker finally lose also big for redistricting.

Minnesota: Whole state is one race away from becoming the next Wisconsin a GOP win there would be transformative, looking less and less likely though.

MI, OH, IL: Redistricting not as big here with reform likely to pass in Michigan and Ohio redistricting process makes things pretty difficult for Dems even if they win the Governorship.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 01:40:36 AM »

FL KS CT  IL MD MI - first of all. There are other i am interested too - ftom AK to RI, but these come first.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 04:19:18 AM »

Kansas-I'm hoping for a Democratic win in solid Republican territory there.

Wisconsin also for Scott Walker's downfall and to disprove the idea Wisconsin is now TITANIUM R.

Generally though the number I'm keeping an eye on is 25, I want Democrats to have at least 25 governorships(though I don't mind if they come acceptably close like 23 or 24).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 05:08:14 AM »

In very generous (to  Democrats) count, and counting Alaska's Walker as D, i got 24....
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »

It's between OH and FL. Dems winning at least one would be big because they haven't had a say in redistricting in those states in decades. I also think the presumed nominees (Cordray and Graham) can begin to piece back together the old Democratic coalition of working-class whites with the current Dem coalition.

Some runner-ups include MD, where I'd like to see if MD's inelasticity is enough to throw out yet another popular GOP governor, and CT, which could defy the national environment.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »

Kansas-I'm hoping for a Democratic win in solid Republican territory there.

Wisconsin also for Scott Walker's downfall and to disprove the idea Wisconsin is now TITANIUM R.

Generally though the number I'm keeping an eye on is 25, I want Democrats to have at least 25 governorships(though I don't mind if they come acceptably close like 23 or 24).

I think it really boils down to which races they win, as opposed to a raw count. Winning WI/MI/OH/PA(hold)/FL/MN(hold) and then maybe GA/KS

^-- are all really crucial for redistricting. Even Florida - where a Dem governor could ensure Republicans don't just try to pass bad maps and drag out lawsuits over 2-3 election cycles.

In very generous (to  Democrats) count, and counting Alaska's Walker as D, i got 24....

It's actually not that implausible given how many open gov R-held seats there are. And while it hurts the stats, for all intents and purposes Vermont, Maryland and Massachusetts are really not that big of a deal, given the large Dem majorities in the legislature.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »

I'm biased, but I'm really intrigued by my home state's governor race. Tons of candidates makes for a fun and maybe chaotic primary, and Maine has a history of having prominent independent or other 3rd party candidacies.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 02:14:45 AM »

PA, I can't wait to see Trumpist, Scott Wagner go down in flames. Some Republicans I have talked to seem to think that PA is now a lock for them. They will be proven wrong.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 06:44:42 AM »

I am excited to see Republicans get clobbered in Michigan.

LOL sure that's why it's tied.

As for me, probably Florida, just because of how close it always is. Kinda thrilling.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »

PA, I can't wait to see Trumpist, Scott Wagner go down in flames. Some Republicans I have talked to seem to think that PA is now a lock for them. They will be proven wrong.

Obama winning by 11 points - Toss Up
Trump winning by 0.7 points - Solid R
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »

Obama never won by 11 points in PA.

The best he did was 10.3 points in 2008.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »

Obama never won by 11 points in PA.

The best he did was 10.3 points in 2008.

Thanks for the decimal point correction, but it's really beside the point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies