Texas SEN - Could Moore's loss make the race in Texas more competitive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:08:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas SEN - Could Moore's loss make the race in Texas more competitive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Texas SEN - Could Moore's loss make the race in Texas more competitive?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Texas SEN - Could Moore's loss make the race in Texas more competitive?  (Read 880 times)
R/H
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:12:12 PM »

Since the Demcrats just won a senate race in a strongly conservative southern state like Alabama, could Moore's loss in Alabama make the 2018 senate race in Texas competitive and boost the Democrats' chances of defeating Ted Cruz in Texas, another southern state?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »

Definitely. Cruz and Moore are cut from the same political cloth, if not the same moral cloth (or at least I fervently hope), and Beto has been making all the right moves to drum up enthusiasm in the same way as Doug Jones.
UncleSam

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

Definitely. Cruz and Moore are cut from the same political cloth, if not the same moral cloth (or at least I fervently hope), and Beto has been making all the right moves to drum up enthusiasm in the same way as Doug Jones.
You hope that someone has harassed and molested children because they disagree with you politically?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »

You hope that someone has harassed and molested children because they disagree with you politically?

You misread me. What I meant was that I fervently hope Cruz isn't as morally degenerate as Moore.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

Texas Republicans should not discount the possibility of Doug Jones' megacoattails headed to Austin on a direct flight from Birmingham making a surprise landing in Dallas-Forth Worth on election day to elect Beto O'Rourke.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »

Lyin Ted is done....he's down from like 85 cents before Molestin' Moore's loss::

forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »

Moore's loss will definitely make the Texas senate race, and others, more competitive. I imagine it having the same effect as Scott Brown's 2010 win in Massachusetts -- it shows that every candidate has a chance in every state. That sense of confidence and enthusiasm will inspire people to go canvass, to go to a phone bank, to donate, to actually vote for their underdog candidate because it no longer feels so futile.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »

If Texas is competitive it will have nothing to do with Moore
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:21:07 PM »

Not really. It's going to make the Democrats think it is, though.

Moore was a black swan candidate - a morally repugnant neofascist theocrat. Whether you agree with Cruz's politics or not, he's clearly a constitutional conservative. And O'Rourke is a boilerplate liberal, not a widely respected prosecutor like Jones.

Texas isn't Alabama red, but it's very hard to see O'Rourke winning statewide for the Senate without a big scandal for Cruz.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »

Texas isn't Alabama red, but it's very hard to see O'Rourke winning statewide for the Senate without a big scandal for Cruz.
Never discount that possibility. Something's yearning to come out.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »

Never discount that possibility. Something's yearning to come out.

That's the thing about Cruz. I hope to Fake Jesus that he isn't a moral degenerate, but the stories I've seen about his behavior in college...don't suggest good things about him.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »

Nonsense, we all know that Cruz is actually a serial killer
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »

It will enthuse dems, but nothing really of significance.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 10:46:02 PM »

Analyses of the demographic shift in Texas and how it has affected elections show that the Hispanic vote has increased around 200,000 votes every Presidential election and that Trump won Texas (52%) by a smaller margin than any Republican in decades. In a year favorable to Democrats and unenthusiastic Republican voters, with a massive GOTV aimed at Texas's Latino and Black voters and young white voters, it could happen. But it would take every single thing lining up perfectly and that's not guaranteed.

Texas will be purple and eventually blue. It's just not there yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies