McGreevey Forbidden from receiving communion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:55:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McGreevey Forbidden from receiving communion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: McGreevey Forbidden from receiving communion  (Read 19520 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2004, 07:19:53 AM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-bishop-communion,0,191450.story

"BLACKWOOD, N.J. -- The incoming leader of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Camden said that he would not serve Holy Communion to Gov. James E. McGreevey, a divorced Catholic who supports abortion rights."

----

This is terrible.  Just pathetic.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 08:19:52 AM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-bishop-communion,0,191450.story

"BLACKWOOD, N.J. -- The incoming leader of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Camden said that he would not serve Holy Communion to Gov. James E. McGreevey, a divorced Catholic who supports abortion rights."

----

This is terrible.  Just pathetic.

If you are against the church, why should you be able to take part in its most sacred practice?
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 09:44:52 AM »

We've had this debate before. The church has every right to decide who they want to give communion to, and if a person is in sin, or is against church doctrine, you can't recieve communion- easy as that.

As i've stated before, Communion in it's own meaning means you must be 100% in communion with the church- we're all in the community of Christ's body. But if somebody doesn't believe in something, he's not in Christ's body, and therefore cannot participate in communion.

Fortunately, John Kerry did NOT recieve communion in a Catholic Church, but a reformed heretical "catholic" church, which was more similar to a liberal lutheran or anglican church.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 10:03:06 AM »

If you are against the church, why should you be able to take part in its most sacred practice?

He is not 'against the church'.  He does not agree with every last thing the pope (or some other bishop or w/e they call them) says.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 10:05:07 AM »

Just so you know, I am Catholic, and I would never support denying Communion to anyone.  It is simply hypcritical, and I want yall to know that every Catholic isn't an idiot.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 10:18:08 AM »

He is not 'against the church'.  He does not agree with every last thing the pope (or some other bishop or w/e they call them) says.

He is certainly not WITH the church. The pope has said abortion is wrong, and that cannot be questioned as the pope is infallible. He is AGAINST fundamental Catholic doctrine, and therefore should be excommunicated. He is a heretic.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 10:32:22 AM »

He is certainly not WITH the church. The pope has said abortion is wrong, and that cannot be questioned as the pope is infallible. He is AGAINST fundamental Catholic doctrine, and therefore should be excommunicated. He is a heretic.

If you excommunicate all pro-choice catholics you excommunicate a helluva lot of people...like RUDY GIULIANI (REPUBLICAN).

(Giuliani is also against a PARTIAL BIRTH ABORTION BAN!  OFF WITH HIS HEAD!)
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 10:39:59 AM »

If you excommunicate all pro-choice catholics you excommunicate a helluva lot of people...like RUDY GIULIANI (REPUBLICAN).

I am not for excommunicating Giuliani, but am I do support denying him communion
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 10:46:17 AM »

Just so you know, I am Catholic, and I would never support denying Communion to anyone.  It is simply hypcritical, and I want yall to know that every Catholic isn't an idiot.

Good point. A majority of Canadians are Catholics.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:57:53 AM »

Only 45% of Canadians are Catholics. Most of those are Quebecers(who aren't even real Canadians).
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 11:14:22 AM »

I am not for excommunicating Giuliani, but am I do support denying him communion

Excommunicating someone is removing them from the body of Christ.  By denying them Communion you are doing just that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 11:15:07 AM »

Only 45% of Canadians are Catholics. Most of those are Quebecers(who aren't even real Canadians).

1) Working out % of religion in a given country is next to impossible. About 45-50% seems fairly accurate...
2) Quebec voted to stay in Canada. So they are Canadians.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 11:44:31 AM »

Excommunicating someone is removing them from the body of Christ.  By denying them Communion you are doing just that.

McGreevey has already removed himself from the body of Christ. Communion is for believers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2004, 11:53:03 AM »

McGreevey has already removed himself from the body of Christ. Communion is for believers.

Your attitude is unchristian
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2004, 11:53:56 AM by Senator Harry »

Denying someone Communion based on his sins is totally hypocritcal.

And being pro-choice is not a sin.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2004, 11:57:47 AM »

Nobody is denying anyone communion for thier sins. they are denying them communion for thier support of sin.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 12:00:09 PM »

Nobody is denying anyone communion for thier sins. they are denying them communion for thier support of sin.

Eh?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2004, 12:01:06 PM »

Good point.  Having an abortion would be the sin.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 12:01:15 PM »

Your attitude is unchristian

Why, because I think people should be held responsible for thier actions? You don't know the first thing about Chistianity. Christ only forgives those that want to be forgiven, not those that support anti-Christian behavior without remorse.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2004, 12:04:05 PM »

Eh?

Abortion is a sin. The church does not deny communion to women who have had abortions and are remorseful for thier sin. It should deny communion to those who support that sin.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »

Why, because I think people should be held responsible for thier actions? You don't know the first thing about Chistianity. Christ only forgives those that want to be forgiven, not those that support anti-Christian behavior without remorse.

Er... I think I know a little bit about Christianity seeing as I base my moral and political beliefs on it...
Hatemongering is Unchristian.
---
BTW exactly who will be saved is a complex theological debate going back hundreds of years... Look at the different predestination theories.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2004, 12:17:03 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2004, 12:17:21 PM by Aaron »

Er... I think I know a little bit about Christianity seeing as I base my moral and political beliefs on it...
---
BTW exactly who will be saved is a complex theological debate going back hundreds of years... Look at the different predestination theories.

First of all, whatever Unitarian beliefs you have are not Christian.

Following Christian teaching is not hatemongering.

Predestination(the version to which I am sure you are reffering) is a heretical Protestant theory to which I do not subscribe
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2004, 12:22:30 PM »

---

Predestination(the version to which I am sure you are reffering) is a heretical Protestant theory to which I do not subscribe

1) I am not a Unitarian (I'm a Methodist)
2) Hatemongering is not Christian teaching.
3) Predestination is not heretical (I'm not sure if it's right or not though) and Protestantism is not heretical.
Aaron
Divine Wind
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2004, 12:28:50 PM »

---

3) Predestination is not heretical (I'm not sure if it's right or not though) and Protestantism is not heretical.

1) Just as bad
2)Once again, following Chuch doctrine is not hatemongering.
3) Predestination rejects free will( Catholic doctrine), and therefore is heretical. Protestantism rejects many Christian teachings and is heretical
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2004, 12:30:08 PM »

---

1) Just as bad
2)Once again, following Chuch doctrine is not hatemongering.
3) Predestination rejects free will( Catholic doctrine), and therefore is heretical. Protestantism rejects many Christian teachings and is heretical

Sectarian bigot
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies