can we talk about the aliens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:09:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  can we talk about the aliens
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: can we talk about the aliens  (Read 6598 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »

I see space people. Come to think of it, if M. Night Shyamalan isn't proof of space aliens, I don't know what is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »

Just going to throw this out there (more background from the fighter pilot incident reportied earlier). Read it all before you make a judgement but understand that all of these were professional pilots, fire control, and other assigned US Navy personnel.

https://fightersweep.com/1460/x-files-edition/
yes, we noticed the appeals to authority earlier.

Edited: There is NOTHING logically wrong with appeals to authority.  The logical fallacy is the misplaced appeal to authority, like using a baseball player to advertise coffee machines.
there is when the authority isn't an expert in the field you are claiming he is.  Navy pilots aren't extraterrestrial experts.  Pilots, like all people, see things wrong all the time.  Them seeing something they can't explain isn't proof of aliens.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »

I do think it's possible (though I wouldn't bet on it) that we're the only intelligent life in the observable universe (parts old enough that we can see light from them). We just don't know enough about how likely life is to occur, much less intelligent life, in order to know otherwise.

But if the universe is infinite, as it appears to be, then it is a sure thing that there is other intelligent life. In fact, it's a sure thing that there are identical copies of Earth and everything on it, infinitely many in fact. But since they're not observable in principle, it's somewhat of a philosophical question whether they should be considered real to us or not.
I think it was Hawking that said (paraphrasing) "there are two possibilities, we're alone or we're not and both are awesome".  If we're alone, then that makes us super special (and we should probably be better stewards).  If we're not alone, great, more to discover!  Breaking each down further, are we alone because we're the first?..the last? maybe the only, ever?  Each of those is pretty cool too.  If we're not alone, are we one of just a few locations with life? or maybe one planet of billions?  I think the most likely is the most boring, the universe is teeming with life, but 99.8% of planets with life have only microbial creatures.  Only 1 in 800 have anything bigger than a lady bug and only 1 in 5000 have something advanced as a dolphin and life that creates any kind of advanced tech is extraordinarily rare.

...but that just makes us super special.  We've sent sh**t out of our star system, I'd bet that doesn't happen very often in the universe.

I imagine that there are probably a few dozen civilizations in our galaxy with perhaps none of them being at any point of history close to ours. My guess is a new civilization comes into being maybe every 10000 years in the Milky Way. There are about 10 billion planets capable of supporting life based on the evidence we have but this assuming the confidence we don't have. If about 1 in 10000 develop intelligence over the course of 10 billion years, that's about one civilization forming every 10000 years.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »

That sounds reasonable...and if we did the math the closest one would still be really really really far away.

If we assume a normal "best case scenario" for the evolution of life is what's happened on Earth, then it takes about 4.5 billion years for a solar system to go from early planets to life that can go into space.  The Milky Way is pretty much as old as the universe itself at ~13billion years, but, if I remember correctly, the heavier elements required for life took two or three cycles of stars forming and blowing up before they existed in quantities enough to form rocky/metalic planets big enough to form life (as we know it).  Lets say that's only been true for the last 6 billion years, that still leaves some plausible life (as we know it) bearing planets that are more than a billion years old.  If FTL travel is possible, they could be all over the galaxy.  Even if it's not, they could be all over a small corner of it.

Of course stars blow up, or otherwise die out.  Unless life is super advanced and can GTFO, it's not going to survive that very well.  Sometimes planets collide or other big thing from space hits it, or really, a million other things could stop early/non-advanced life on a planet.  It's a tough universe and we (probably) live on a rare Eden.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »

That sounds reasonable...and if we did the math the closest one would still be really really really far away.

If we assume a normal "best case scenario" for the evolution of life is what's happened on Earth, then it takes about 4.5 billion years for a solar system to go from early planets to life that can go into space.  The Milky Way is pretty much as old as the universe itself at ~13billion years, but, if I remember correctly, the heavier elements required for life took two or three cycles of stars forming and blowing up before they existed in quantities enough to form rocky/metalic planets big enough to form life (as we know it).  Lets say that's only been true for the last 6 billion years, that still leaves some plausible life (as we know it) bearing planets that are more than a billion years old.  If FTL travel is possible, they could be all over the galaxy.  Even if it's not, they could be all over a small corner of it.

Of course stars blow up, or otherwise die out.  Unless life is super advanced and can GTFO, it's not going to survive that very well.  Sometimes planets collide or other big thing from space hits it, or really, a million other things could stop early/non-advanced life on a planet.  It's a tough universe and we (probably) live on a rare Eden.

Although I've heard chances aren't bad for a planet to survive until it dies of the natural lifecycle of the star is over and that probably hasn't happened to any one civilization yet unless it was orbiting a white to blue star.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »

Just going to throw this out there (more background from the fighter pilot incident reportied earlier). Read it all before you make a judgement but understand that all of these were professional pilots, fire control, and other assigned US Navy personnel.

https://fightersweep.com/1460/x-files-edition/
yes, we noticed the appeals to authority earlier.

Edited: There is NOTHING logically wrong with appeals to authority.  The logical fallacy is the misplaced appeal to authority, like using a baseball player to advertise coffee machines.
there is when the authority isn't an expert in the field you are claiming he is.  Navy pilots aren't extraterrestrial experts.  Pilots, like all people, see things wrong all the time.  Them seeing something they can't explain isn't proof of aliens.

It's evidence (not proof) of UFOs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2017, 10:18:46 PM by dead0man »

in the same way it's evidence of dragons and Jesus.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »

Yeah. It's evidence, sure. Just like a footprint is evidence of bigfoot. We need a lot more evidence before we can seriously conclude these might be extra-terrestrials. In the meantime, there are much more likely explanations, as we've been over.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »

Maybe they don't like to be called aliens. Maybe we should call them ETs.

Then again, maybe not. Sad
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »

I had the brightness down on my phone and thought this was a picture of a sperm.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies