can we talk about the aliens (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:09:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  can we talk about the aliens (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: can we talk about the aliens  (Read 6601 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 18, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2017, 01:01:22 PM by ProudModerate2 »

This made national news last night.
I saw the story (and same video) on CBS Nightly News (or was it NBC or ABC? ..... anyway, it was a story that was big enough for them to air).

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

i want to meet the aliens tbh they might be cool

You might even fall in love with one of them .....

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »

The first image is obviously a nice kiss to the cheek.
The second is an alien's version of a French kiss.
Which would you prefer?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »

I've always believed extraterrestrial UFOs and intelligent life were real. While this isn't absolute confirmation, it is certainly some of the strongest evidence demonstrating their existence. So long as they aren't hostile, I'd be very happy if we could make contact and explore these things much further.

LOL.
That was a good movie.
I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys watching UFO/alien-like movies.
It has some really funny scenes too.
It had me both in fear and laughing.
Movie is called : Signs.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2017, 02:29:14 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Being serious for a moment:
I think alien life almost definitely exists, given the sheer vastness of the universe, but the idea of little green men from Mars who fly around in super advanced spaceships is obviously pure fantasy. if aliens do exist, they're likely more like little insects or perhaps even smaller life forms than that, although it's not impossible that there's more advanced lifeforms than that somewhere out there.

You do understand that if you believe in the full evolutionary cycle of Homo sapiens, then we (humans) were at one time, in our past, only "smaller life forms" (as you say).
So if who we are today can evolve from such primitive life, who is to say that it cant happen on other worlds ?

If you were to ask humans 500 years ago, that one day we would build machines that can go to the moon (or Mars, which we will do in our near future), you would be laughed at. And 500 years is nothing but a tiny, tiny blip in time. So, if other life somewhere in the universe has evolved like ours to create "intelligent beings," who is to say that they have not existed longer than we have ?
And with time, comes advancement in technologies, like building "strange machines" that can go to the moon, or that can travel time and space to visit other solar systems and galaxies.

I leave you with this ....

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

I believe he's referring to alien life in our solar system or potentially within human reach over the eons (e.g. dozens or possibly hundreds of light years out). Most biologists believe intelligent life is a lot less likely to evolve than non-intelligent, macroscopic life.

No.
America's Sweetheart (user name) was clear when he/she said (and I quote) "the sheer vastness of the universe ."

I think alien life almost definitely exists, given the sheer vastness of the universe  ...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »

I believe he's referring to alien life in our solar system or potentially within human reach over the eons (e.g. dozens or possibly hundreds of light years out). Most biologists believe intelligent life is a lot less likely to evolve than non-intelligent, macroscopic life.

No.
America's Sweetheart (user name) was clear when he/she said (and I quote) "the sheer vastness of the universe ."

I think alien life almost definitely exists, given the sheer vastness of the universe  ...

Yes fair enough but I took the reference to Martians to indicate he was referring to a more local neighborhood for the rest of the post, as they would have to be in order to make any kind of contact with Earth. I suppose it's possible he didn't mean that. But in any case, since we don't know how likely intelligent life is, it's entirely possible we are the only intelligent life in the observable universe. I don't take that position personally, but it's a perfectly defensible one.

Ok. I see what you (and America's Sweetheart) are saying now.
A.S. is probably saying that there is no further "intelligent life" in our solar system (the "little green men from Mars" comment) and if there were life within our solar-system-area, then the only possible occurrence is more than likely "little insects or perhaps even smaller life forms" (as quoted by A.S.).
But that there might be intelligent life, further out, like in another solar system within our galaxy or another galaxy altogether (which would be very, very far away).

I can agree with this.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2017, 02:57:02 AM by ProudModerate2 »

I think it was Hawking that said (paraphrasing) "there are two possibilities, we're alone or we're not and both are awesome".  If we're alone, then that makes us super special (and we should probably be better stewards) ....

Even if we are not 100% alone, it is fair to say that for life to begin on any planet, there are many factors that have to be almost perfect for life to flourish.
That makes our planet, very, very very rare, indeed.

And yet we are messing it up, as if it was just a piece of gum you can chew for a while and then be discarded. And to top it off, we have many Pubs and their crony scientists that tell you "everything is perfect," and that our planet is fine. This is what kills me!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies