How will each party view Russia post-Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:34:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How will each party view Russia post-Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will each party view Russia post-Trump?  (Read 1214 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »

Whether Trump leaves office in 2021 or 2025, how will each party view Russia afterwards? Will the Republicans return to the hardline anti-Russian view that they had from 2008 until Trump's run? Will the Republicans embrace Russia? Will the Democrats return to being the less anti-Russian party like they were before Trump ran? Will the Democrats become hardline anti-Russia?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »

If Russia is still ruled by Putin or one of his loyalists, then I expect the overall mood to be anti-Russian. On the other hand, if by some chance a pro-west person comes into power in Russia, then we may become friendlier toward them.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »

I don't think Democrats should turn into a Anti-Russian party because that could lead them down the evil road of Neoconservative warmongering. My personal preference is for America to adopt a Non-Interventionist foreign policy by leaving NATO, Closing down all our Military bases in Europe, the Middle East, and East Asia, while instituting massive spending cuts of our conventional military forces, however I do support maintaining and expanding our Nuclear triad because as I have explained in other controversial post Nuclear weapons due to their unimaginable destructive potential promote peace between Nations while Conventional weapons promote war because whenever a extremely powerful nation (the United States) gains a insurmountable conventional edge over most other nations they feel the urge to attack and invade smaller, weak, countries. For these reasons I believe if more nations had nuclear weapons their would be significantly less warfare.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »

I don't think Democrats should turn into a Anti-Russian party because that could lead them down the evil road of Neoconservative warmongering. My personal preference is for America to adopt a Non-Interventionist foreign policy by leaving NATO, Closing down all our Military bases in Europe, the Middle East, and East Asia, while instituting massive spending cuts of our conventional military forces, however I do support maintaining and expanding our Nuclear triad because as I have explained in other controversial post Nuclear weapons due to their unimaginable destructive potential promote peace between Nations while Conventional weapons promote war because whenever a extremely powerful nation (the United States) gains a insurmountable conventional edge over most other nations they feel the urge to attack and invade smaller, weak, countries. For these reasons I believe if more nations had nuclear weapons their would be significantly less warfare.

*Vomits*

America should stand up for its interests and project strength. Force should not be used unnecessarily, but retreating from world affairs will just strengthen tyrants like Putin, destabilize the world and ultimately harm the US and its interests as well.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »

"Deploying force overseas is only bad when we do it. Russians in Ukraine? But whaddabout Iraq?"
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »

I think King Lear may have passed ahugecat as the dumbest atlas poster.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »

Hopefully with realism but that sadly won't happen. Maybe one day the Cold War Kool-Aid will stop being poured.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »

Republicans will go back to hating Russia, unless their next president/nominee is also a Trumpist. Democrats will continue hating Russia until Putin is gone, then they might go back to how they were before.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »

Historically, foreign policy views have seemed to be the least ideologically separated, so I am guessing it will be almost entirely based on who's in power and what would be the best way to make them look bad.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »

Speaking of which, whatever happened to him? he hasn't posted in almost 2 months now.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »

Republicans will go back to hating Russia, unless their next president/nominee is also a Trumpist. Democrats will continue hating Russia until Putin is gone, then they might go back to how they were before.
You mean in 2012, when Putin was the most powerful person in Russia and Obama continued to call Romney’s views on it “a throwback to the eighties”?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »

You mean in 2012, when Putin was the most powerful person in Russia and Obama continued to call Romney’s views on it “a throwback to the eighties”?

Yes, and when the Republicans who called Obama a feckless Soviet loving Marxist for saying that nominated a Putin fanboy 4 years later. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a "gotcha" or something. You'd be hard pressed to find a Democrat now who doesn't admit Romney was right about Russia. But good luck finding Republicans who will now embrace Obama's 2012 argument.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »

GOP becomes more pro-Russia for now.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »

wait...what?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 05:29:48 PM »

The Democrats will not like Putin because he's a authoritarian dictator,  the Republicans will like Putin due to business connections UNTIL a Democratic President attempts to work with Russia in any way whatsoever.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »

Speaking of which, whatever happened to him? he hasn't posted in almost 2 months now.

He got banned
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 09:10:06 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2018, 08:17:02 AM by MATTROSE94 »

I can easily see the Democrats taking a hardline stance against Russia (similar to the Republican Party during the Cold War era) and the Republicans adopting a pro-Russia policy (due to the fact that Putin has framed himself as a defender of Christianity and traditional values). I can easily see the Democratic Party leadership supporting policies such as breaking off diplomatic ties with Russia, implementing an arms embargo against Russia, subjecting Russia to a sustained naval blockade, supporting the expansion of NATO to include countries such as Ukraine and Georgia, and expanding US efforts to remove the Putin regime from power.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »

Historically, foreign policy views have seemed to be the least ideologically separated, so I am guessing it will be almost entirely based on who's in power and what would be the best way to make them look bad.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »

He got banned
Late reply, but... Good!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies