The last movie you have seen thread 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:46:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you have seen thread 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The last movie you have seen thread 2018  (Read 8350 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »

I watched 10,000 BC on Netflix. It isn't amazing, but it's not as bad as Rotten Tomatoes would have you believe. And I don't really care about the historical inaccuracies... it's not exactly supposed to be an informational film.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »

Just saw The Post...all I have to say is that if Meryl Streep doesn't win Best Actress at the Oscars, I will be very disappointed.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:37 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2018, 04:25:09 AM by HillGoose »

going to go to see Pacific Rim Uprising with my "girlfriend" when it comes out, I really can't wait for it lol.

I loved the first one.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 05:32:52 AM »

Haven't seen a new movie lately, but I'm now through with the fourth season of The Walking Dead.

The fourth season was ceratinly the best so far IMO. I understand that this show supposedly jumped the shark sometime around the sixth or seventh season, so I'll probably watch the fifth and sixth and then decide whether to continue.
kyc0705

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 11:29:51 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2018, 11:31:22 PM by kyc0705 »

Just saw The Post...all I have to say is that if Meryl Streep doesn't win Best Actress at the Oscars, I will be very disappointed.

She is so good in The Post, it's some of her best work in years. I don't know if she'll win, since it's been a really strong year of leading actresses, but she'll be nominated for sure.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »

Death Note.

A very disturbing movie I probably wouldn't have enjoyed if not for Willem Dafoe's performance as Ryuk.

Troy

Basically one long downer ending that was very well directed. James Cosmo's scene with Brad Pitt was particularly good. Overall, I felt like the movie could've had at least 10 minutes cut from the run time.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »

Gangs of New York

I think this may be one of my favorite DiCaprio films. Even if the third act was disappointing.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »

Silent Hill (on Netflix).

It was a complete waste of two hours of my life.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »

Godzilla (2017)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »

I watch Leo the Lion and now have a new perspective on life :') he show that lions can b vegetarieans too even if they be extremely malnourished. I have placed him in my pantheon next to the Paul brothers Purple heart

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 12:23:18 AM »

The Hateful Eight and Chloe
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »

The Darkest Hour

and

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Three Billborards was obviously the superior movie of the two, and along with Dunkirk the best Best Picture contender I've seen so far (the fourth nominee I've seen so far is Get Out).
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 01:15:25 AM »

Kill Bill Part 1 (alright), Bright (very good, but slightly confusing)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 01:23:08 AM »

Gary Oldman totally deserves best Actor for being the most amazing Winston Churchill I've ever seen.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 11:50:16 PM »

Kill Bill Part 2

I'm just thankful this series is over. These films were overstylized, and just weird. The last 45 minutes or so were incredibly well done. Aside from that, I kept having to pause the movie because I'd rather do something else in that moment.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »

Gary Oldman totally deserves best Actor for being the most amazing Winston Churchill I've ever seen.

I thought James Franco (The Disaster Artist) and James McAvoy (Split) gave better performances, but neither of them were nominated.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 05:34:29 PM »

Jumanji
kyc0705

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »

I thought James Franco (The Disaster Artist) and James McAvoy (Split) gave better performances, but neither of them were nominated.

I loved Timothée Chalamet in Call Me by Your Name. He's probably the closest to upsetting Oldman, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's got a real chance of winning.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »

I watched Darkest Hour on Amazon streaming yesterday, and I liked it.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

last night I watched "Mean Girls" for the first time ever, it's really my kind of movie.
kyc0705

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »

last night I watched "Mean Girls" for the first time ever, it's really my kind of movie.

"Mean Girls" is a rising classic and, on average, better than at least 50% of the movies nominated for Best Picture in a given year.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 02:54:26 PM »

Justice League.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »

Who enjoyed it more, you or the minions?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »

Them, I wasn't impressed with it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2018, 07:41:44 PM »

Dog Soldiers

I gotta say, I was truly shocked by how good this was and Neil Marshall really deserved a best director nomination for it.  I love when a movie I have low expectations for and know little to nothing about turns out to be unexpectedly awesome like this.  On paper soldiers boarded up in some house in the middle of nowehere vs. a family of intelligent werewolves that we only see in wolfman form sounds like a dumb plot for a cliche-riddled "so bad its good" horror movie, but while this is a horror-comedy and the werewolves admittedly look kinda silly, it's essentially a perfect movie.  The editing, directing, acting (even though the cast were basically all unknowns at the time), and writing were all excellent.  The script also does a great job of successfully developing a cast containing numerous doomed characters and the soldiers all feel fully fleshed-out before the werewolves even show up (and the characters talk like actual people), plus the folks playing the soldiers have great chemistry.  This is one of those movies that has no business being anything other than a complete mess, but somehow every part seems to work perfectly in a way that just can't be replicated (like capturing lightening in a bottle).

There are a few jump-scares, but they're legitimately clever and used pretty sparingly.  Most of the time, the film wisely focuses on suspense, excellent minimalist action scenes (the editing in some of them is Oscar worthy), and the cat-and-mouse game between the two sides.  Plus, there's really only one person who dies by doing something really stupid which is always a plus in horror films.  The werewolves and soldiers both have some reasonably well-thought out strategies and both have moments where their plans don't pan out.  Plus, the script is extremely clever and contains several solid (albeit not entirely unpredictable) twists, but to say more would be to enter spoiler territory. 

However, the MVP of this movie is without question Liam Cunningham (better known as Davos from Game of Thrones).  This movie made me appreciate just how good an actor he is; his character here could not be more different from Davos.  Here he plays the primary human antagonist and takes what could've been a one-note generic evil CIA-type and turns him into one of the most entertaining parts of the movie.  The man doesn't just chew the scenery, he devours it and turns in a terrific performance as a guy who literally shoots a dog in the head during his first scene just to be a dick (although his dryly delivered gallows humor is hilarious)...and Cunningham so thoroughly inhabits the character that you never once get distracted by the fact that he's become much better known for other parts (it helps that he's clean-shaven).  I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the best performance of his career by a country mile (it certainly is his best thus far).  Also, I'd never know it was Cunningham if I only heard his voice in the movie; he sounds a lot like Jermey Irons in Reversal of Fortune. 

Anyway, if you want some good, entertaining fun, I'd highly recommend this movie.  You can watch it on youtube for free with decent sound and picture quality (link included so anyone interested can avoid some of the spoiler-filled clips folks have posted): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fiy4A3sbd4

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies