Opinion of the Catholic Church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:21:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the Catholic Church
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Church

Horrible Church

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of the Catholic Church  (Read 1884 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »

?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 07:06:13 PM »

Horrible church, like the vast majority of churches.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:39:55 PM »

Most Catholics I know are pretty cool people; however, I don't like the Church and what it stands for. Particularly, the existence of the Pope position.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »

Most Catholics I know are pretty cool people; however, I don't like the Church and what it stands for. Particularly, the existence of the Pope position.

Except aside from some family members I don't really know any Catholics so I can't speak for the first sentence much.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2017, 02:40:41 PM by DavidB. »

Could be worse, but could also be a whole lot better. Not gonna vote in this one.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2017, 03:48:10 PM by Solid4096 »

Terrible, just like any other religious institution (religion is a scam, any people who believe what those institutions preach are victims).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »

However, I'll say most Catholics are great!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »

Except aside from some family members I don't really know any Catholics so I can't speak for the first sentence much.

My cousin is a Catholic, and she's very good natured. That's where I get most of my Catholic interaction, but I do also know others in an acquaintance capacity. They're mostly respectful when I talk religion with them, and can joke with me a lot.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »

It's too centralized in my opinion, also while I have a lot of respect for the pope I don't think it's a good idea to have just one infallible leader.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2017, 08:53:32 PM by King Lear »

Though I strongly disagree with their position on abortion and gay marriage, the Catholic Church is much more Liberal on immigration, economic issues (preserving the safety net and opposing tax cuts for the rich), and foreign policy (opposing war) then the hypocritical Evangelicals. For this reason and the fact Pope Francis is doing a good job trying to modernize the Catholic Church (still a long way to go) and has helped speak out aganst income inequality, the destruction of the environment, and the rise of Anti-immigrant movements in the US and Western Europe, I rate the Catholic Church much higher then most Protestant churches (especially in the United States) which in many cases are more extreme on social issues then Catholics (most Evangelicals don’t believe in evolution while Catholics accepted it in the 1950s)
And are nowhere near as liberal on immigration, economic issues, and foreign policy as most Catholics (most Evangelicals support screwing the poor, deporting immigrants, and bombing foreign countries while most Catholics oppose these things).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 11:47:55 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2017, 11:52:57 PM by TRIPLE ROCK »

Though I strongly disagree with their position on abortion and gay marriage, the Catholic Church is much more Liberal on immigration, economic issues (preserving the safety net and opposing tax cuts for the rich), and foreign policy (opposing war) then the hypocritical Evangelicals. For this reason and the fact Pope Francis is doing a good job trying to modernize the Catholic Church (still a long way to go) and has helped speak out aganst income inequality, the destruction of the environment, and the rise of Anti-immigrant movements in the US and Western Europe, I rate the Catholic Church much higher then most Protestant churches (especially in the United States) which in many cases are more extreme on social issues then Catholics (most Evangelicals don’t believe in evolution while Catholics accepted it in the 1950s)
And are nowhere near as liberal on immigration, economic issues, and foreign policy as most Catholics (most Evangelicals support screwing the poor, deporting immigrants, and bombing foreign countries while most Catholics oppose these things).

Not all Evangelicals are like that. I go to an Evangelical church which is practically "all liberal, all the time". (Not quite, as they seem to be more conservative than most liberals on abortion, but definitely not as hardline about it as the Catholic church...or hardline at all for that matter.)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 12:43:59 AM »

Which one? Tongue
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 02:28:52 AM »

I believe that the Catholic Church is the church established by Jesus Christ. Christ told Peter, the first Pope, "And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven." - Matthew 16:19.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »

Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 02:48:23 AM »

Could be worse, but could also be a whole lot better. Not gonna vote in this one.
Yep my view as well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 06:02:44 AM »

It's been on the wrong side of most conflicts since at least the past millennium, so I have to vote HP, but I'm reasonably hopeful about its current direction.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »

It's been on the wrong side of most conflicts since at least the past millennium, so I have to vote HP, but I'm reasonably hopeful about its current direction.

This, but I'm a Catholic so I'm going to vote FF anyway (true 1950s KVP voter).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »

Whore of Babylon led by a Roman King.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »

I believe that the Catholic Church is the church established by Jesus Christ. Christ told Peter, the first Pope, "And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven." - Matthew 16:19.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »

Freedom Church, but it was better with John Paul II and Benedict XVI
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »

by far the worst Christian sect.

edit-with exceptions for tiny sh**t stains like Westboro and those "dey eat da poopoo" African guys.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »

edit-with exceptions for tiny sh**t stains like Westboro and those "dey eat da poopoo" African guys.

Definitely not racist with that last one.

Not surprising to see people who think the Catholic Church is the worst Christian sector tend to be some of the worst people. I pray to the lord that one day you become a person that doesn't hate themselves. Smiley
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Not surprising to see people who think the Catholic Church is the worst Christian sector tend to be some of the worst people. I pray to the lord that one day you become a person that doesn't hate themselves. Smiley

It's...not racist? He wasn't talking about all African Christians just the ones that spread extreme anti-gay propaganda.

Surprising statement you make since most people I know who think that tend to be liberal and feminist types, and/or LGBT. I don't see how liberalism and the Catholic Church are even remotely compatible.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »

dude, you're way off base here.

it's an old meme
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies