1964 Election in the South: The Southern White Vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:17:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1964 Election in the South: The Southern White Vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1964 Election in the South: The Southern White Vote?  (Read 4705 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 29, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »

As is implied in the title. Several months ago, I had posted a thread, trying to determine the breakdown of the white vote by state in the 1964 presidential election. That is, I was trying to find out exactly which states saw Goldwater winning the white vote, and which states saw Johnson winning it. However, I didn't get any real, definitive answers. In that time since, I found this document (http://www.crmvet.org/docs/6411_src_election.pdf), which appears to have been written by the Southern Regional Council shortly after the election. According to that document, Johnson would not have carried Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and (probably) North Carolina without black voters. Is this true? Looking at the county maps in some of these states, especially TN, AR, and NC, I would have figured that the white vote went to Johnson. How did those states' demographics look at the time?
I'm pretty sure that Johnson narrowly lost the white vote in Florida, because he only won it by less than 3%, but I would have thought he would've won the white vote in every other Southern state he won - especially Arkansas, Tennessee  and North Carolina, which he won by double digits.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »

As is implied in the title. Several months ago, I had posted a thread, trying to determine the breakdown of the white vote by state in the 1964 presidential election. That is, I was trying to find out exactly which states saw Goldwater winning the white vote, and which states saw Johnson winning it. However, I didn't get any real, definitive answers. In that time since, I found this document (http://www.crmvet.org/docs/6411_src_election.pdf), which appears to have been written by the Southern Regional Council shortly after the election. According to that document, Johnson would not have carried Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and (probably) North Carolina without black voters. Is this true? Looking at the county maps in some of these states, especially TN, AR, and NC, I would have figured that the white vote went to Johnson. How did those states' demographics look at the time?
I'm pretty sure that Johnson narrowly lost the white vote in Florida, because he only won it by less than 3%, but I would have thought he would've won the white vote in every other Southern state he won - especially Arkansas, Tennessee  and North Carolina, which he won by double digits.

That is what I would have thought as well, and on my prior thread, someone had told me that Johnson would still have won Virginia even without white voters.
Looking at the county map and knowing the demographics of 1960's Virginia, I'm quite sure Johnson won the white vote, although possibly very narrowly.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »

I recall reading that the only Southern state he won the white vote was his native Texas.
I'm certain he also won it in Oklahoma as well. and almost definitely in Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina, too.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:44:57 PM »

He won the white vote in every state he won except Florida and Virginia.
He even won the white vote in Idaho, which he won by less than 2%?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »

I'd have to see actual numbers, not just the words of an author.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »

He won the white vote in every state he won except Florida and Virginia.
He even won the white vote in Idaho, which he won by less than 2%?

I was only talking about the South in that post.

I seriously doubt it considering how few blacks could actually vote in the hyper-disenfranchisement system that existed.

This is why I don't trust the words of an author, I need to see actual data.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:41:45 PM »

I still don't understand how Johnson only got 13% in Mississippi.  Any Democrat is guaranteed a floor of around 42% without winning more than 10% of whites.

Mississippi's White vote has fluctuated back and forth though, Carter probably almost won it in 1976 and 1980 and Clinton would have won a solid chunk in 1992.

Given how close Mississippi was in 1976 and 1980, it's doubtful Carter even won a quarter of whites there in either year.
According to exit polls, Clinton won 24% of MS whites in 1996, so Carter probably won at least 30% in 1976 and 1980.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies