Swedish election, 2018: Political Impasse, Löfven loses confidence vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:24:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Swedish election, 2018: Political Impasse, Löfven loses confidence vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36
Poll
Question: ?
S (Social Democrats)

M (Moderate)

SD (Swedish Democrats)

C (Centre)

MP (Green)

V (Left)

L (Liberals)

KD (Christian Democrats)

FI (Feminist)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 170

Author Topic: Swedish election, 2018: Political Impasse, Löfven loses confidence vote  (Read 74424 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »

A few questions about the results:

1. Why are the left-leaning parties so strong up north? What is the industry there?

2. What would you say the difference is between the bases of the Christian Democrats, Liberals, and Centre Party? I know the Centre Party is more rural.

3. What's up in Gottlands? They seem to have odd voting habits.

4. Why is SD so much stronger in the South of the country?
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:11 AM »

3. What's up in Gottlands? They seem to have odd voting habits.

In Gotland farmers vote Centre and fishermen SAP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #652 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »

1. Why are the left-leaning parties so strong up north? What is the industry there?

Extractive-based heavy industries, including mining and so on. For instance, the Kiruna Mine - the largest iron mine in the world - is in Norrbotten.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #653 on: September 10, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »

I think A is very unlikely and B probably most likely. That's also what the betting markets were saying before the election.

Why in the world would SAP ever agree to B? What the hell would they gain from it? If the Alliance thinks they have SD's support, let them rule with SD's support, and we'll see how well that turns out for them.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #654 on: September 10, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »

Even though S + M didn't bleed as much support as some polls suggested they would and the Greens barely stayed above 4% and in parliament, I would still say that Red-Green was sort of "voted out" yesterday.

It would be better if there's a change of government now with the Alliance parties + some backing of the SD on some issues.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #655 on: September 10, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »

Why is the Centre Party so anti-SD anyway? Are farmers in Sweden just really woke?
Aboa
Rookie

« Reply #656 on: September 10, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »

Why is the Centre Party so anti-SD anyway? Are farmers in Sweden just really woke?
I doubt views of the modern Centre Party leadership reflects the views of average Swedish farmer all that closely.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #657 on: September 10, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »

An election district in Västra Götaland sent in the wrong results to the Election Bureau. They send in the figures for the regional election instead of the national election. This mistake has now been corrected. This changes the seat figures as one seat goes from C to SD, so now the Red-Green lead has increased to two seats before the count of the last votes on Wednesday.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #658 on: September 11, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »

I don't understand why the right doesn't want to make a minority government backed by SD happen. SD will just continue to grow if they remain in the opposition. It would be easier to deal with them by making them back the government.
rob in cal
« Reply #659 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »

Does the exit poll show a breakdown by income and education level?  Also, what % of the Swedish electorate is from an immigrant background?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #660 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

I mean, historically, yes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #661 on: September 11, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #662 on: September 12, 2018, 05:28:49 AM »

Ok, lots to respond to here:

1. Personally, I ticket split across all elections but voted Liberal nationally in the end. Was very torn though and decided on election day.

2. Again, since the Alliance won't do December deals anymore the exact balance between the blocs will not matter. The media spin is also primarily that it's tied.

3. Because of a counting mistake, C lost a seat to SD so it is now unlikely the Alliance would Catch up to the Red-Green bloc.

4. People wonder why S would accept option B I outlined. Well, it might be the only way they can exert some influence. Of course, they might win the chicken race but I have a feeling their outside options are worse. They're about to respond to it in a few minutes and I expect them to say no now. The question is what ends up happening in a few weeks.

5. M+KD+SD can't happen because it doesn't have a majority and everyone else would vote against it. It would also split both M and KD.

6. Sweden has no farmers anymore. C does have a fair number of rural voters but also a lot of urban liberals. And the sort of rural people who vote C aren't that conservative.

7. Geographical patterns are a Little complex, but Al is broadly right on Northern Sweden. Skåne has its own somewhat un-Swedish Dynamics and traditions and also a lot of immigration.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #663 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »

6. Sweden has no farmers anymore. C does have a fair number of rural voters but also a lot of urban liberals. And the sort of rural people who vote C aren't that conservative.

7. Geographical patterns are a Little complex, but Al is broadly right on Northern Sweden. Skåne has its own somewhat un-Swedish Dynamics and traditions and also a lot of immigration.

You mean, you do have farmers, but they're like 1-2% of the population or something.

Skåne is culturally more similar to Denmark than Sweden I think, also historically and linguistically.
SInNYC

« Reply #664 on: September 12, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »

The map posted above is interesting. Basically, Stockholm and Malmo suburbs are conservative, while Malmo exurbs are far right.

I assume Stockholm suburbs are conservative for the same economic reasons suburbs everywhere are (Clinton's campaign strategy notwithstanding), but can somebody say why the Malmo area is so conservative? Do lots of immigrants come via Denmark and settle there? Also, are there many native Swedes/Danes who routinely cross the border there as part of daily life?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #665 on: September 12, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »

Quick map of the leading block by Constituency, that I whipped up in 5 min. Arguably the more important map because S's strength as a party means that they will always be winning the majority of a first-party map. I got more local maps that I am gradually posting on my twitter below.
DL
Canada

« Reply #666 on: September 12, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »

Any news on the final election results? Wan't today the day that the last votes from abroad etc... were supposed to tallied and added in?
Hydera

« Reply #667 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »

The map posted above is interesting. Basically, Stockholm and Malmo suburbs are conservative, while Malmo exurbs are far right.

I assume Stockholm suburbs are conservative for the same economic reasons suburbs everywhere are (Clinton's campaign strategy notwithstanding), but can somebody say why the Malmo area is so conservative? Do lots of immigrants come via Denmark and settle there? Also, are there many native Swedes/Danes who routinely cross the border there as part of daily life?

https://www.electoralgeography.com/new/en/category/countries/s/sweden

If you go back and check older results, Skane has always voted to the right of the country even when the left bloc was more popular in the past. Plus the immigration issue with Malmo becoming heavily settled by immigrants was what made the exurbs turn to the SD.

Also if you look at Sweden in this map, the exurbs of Malmo have lower wealth than that of the Stockholm metro. The conservative bloc tends to do better in areas of Sweden with higher wealth.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #668 on: September 12, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »

Any news on the final election results? Wan't today the day that the last votes from abroad etc... were supposed to tallied and added in?

it seems the first re-count flipped on seat from SD to C so we are back to 144-143 lead for Center-Left bloc.
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #669 on: September 12, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »

Counting of the overseas votes has changed the seat distribution inside the two blocs. It's still 144 Red-Green vs. 143 Alliance, but the Greens gained a seat at the expense of S, and L gained a seat at the expense of KD.
valresultat.svt.se/2018/10000.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #670 on: September 12, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »

Hydera, here is a newer map:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #671 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #672 on: September 12, 2018, 11:20:03 PM »

https://www.electoralgeography.com/new/en/category/countries/s/sweden

If you go back and check older results, Skane has always voted to the right of the country even when the left bloc was more popular in the past. Plus the immigration issue with Malmo becoming heavily settled by immigrants was what made the exurbs turn to the SD.

Also if you look at Sweden in this map, the exurbs of Malmo have lower wealth than that of the Stockholm metro. The conservative bloc tends to do better in areas of Sweden with higher wealth.

I already told ya, but who would care to listen to an idiot like me right?
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #673 on: September 13, 2018, 02:40:08 AM »

You mean, you do have farmers, but they're like 1-2% of the population or something.

Skåne is culturally more similar to Denmark than Sweden I think, also historically and linguistically.

They have no  farmers in Stockholm (besides some nobility perhaps). Eastern Scania has also some non-conformist tendencies. Some of the old KD regions have turned to SD.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #674 on: September 13, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »

They have no  farmers in Stockholm (besides some nobility perhaps). Eastern Scania has also some non-conformist tendencies. Some of the old KD regions have turned to SD.

Yeah, on Djurgården (which literally means The Animal Farm), a famous island in the Stockholm archipelago, there's at least one farm.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies