Protests in Iran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:15:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protests in Iran
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Protests in Iran  (Read 2536 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »

Are we not talking about this?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »

Whenever there is any kind of mass protest in Iran (especially the "Green" movement protests from 2009-2011), I wonder if the end is near for the current regime in power. The Iranian people never asked for a theocratic regime after the overthrow of the Shah...it just so happened that the followers of Khomenei were the most visible and organized compared to the pro-democracy advocates and communists. I am of the opinion that the people will eventually rise up and overthrow their current government, it's only a matter of time. But, it is hard to say when protests like these end up creating a domino effect that takes down the entire government (like 1979).
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »

Whenever there is any kind of mass protest in Iran (especially the "Green" movement protests from 2009-2011), I wonder if the end is near for the current regime in power. The Iranian people never asked for a theocratic regime after the overthrow of the Shah...it just so happened that the followers of Khomenei were the most visible and organized compared to the pro-democracy advocates and communists. I am of the opinion that the people will eventually rise up and overthrow their current government, it's only a matter of time. But, it is hard to say when protests like these end up creating a domino effect that takes down the entire government (like 1979).

Hopefully sooner rather than later. If a liberal, pro-democracy regime takes over, then we can start talking about restoring good relations with Iran.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »

Definitely keep an eye on this. Pretty incredible.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »

Definitely keep an eye on this. Pretty incredible.

Ftr, a few were already killed by government forces. So while the protestors are FFs, it'll most likely end up as just another tragic chapter of this bloodthirsty regime.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2017, 03:30:41 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Hopefully sooner rather than later. If a liberal, pro-democracy regime takes over, then we can start talking about restoring good relations with Iran.

It's amazing to think that Iran and Israel had fairly good relations until 1979 considering how poor relations are right now. If I am not mistaken, Iran was the second Muslim-majority country to recognize Israel (after Turkey). I took a Persian history class in college and I remember a discussion on how Israel and Iran were actually natural allies at one point because of their mutual distrust of Arabs...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »

Yes, Iran, Israel, Turkey, and Ethiopia constituted a loose non-Arab "alliance of the periphery" in the 1960s and 70s.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Thanks to Trump not being able to keep his tiny hands quiet, whatever chance this would have amounted to something is probably gone because the protesters will be painted as puppets of the Great Satan.
swf541

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »

Thanks to Trump not being able to keep his tiny hands quiet, whatever chance this would have amounted to something is probably gone because the protesters will be painted as puppets of the Great Satan.
Im all for bashing Trump but this is just a stupid post
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »

Let's just hope that anything that comes out of this doesn't lead to more theocracy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »

It's amazing to think that Iran and Israel had fairly good relations until 1979 considering how poor relations are right now. If I am not mistaken, Iran was the second Muslim-majority country to recognize Israel (after Turkey). I took a Persian history class in college and I remember a discussion on how Israel and Iran were actually natural allies at one point because of their mutual distrust of Arabs...

Well, Iran was certainly not a pro-democracy regime before 1979. They had even fewer freedoms then.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 10:08:32 PM »

Well, Iran was certainly not a pro-democracy regime before 1979. They had even fewer freedoms then.
At least they didn't have religious police.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »

But it also wasnt run by a mad man who looks like an evil Santa Claus threatening to nuke another country into oblivion
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

I agree 100%. The Shah of Iran was one of the most infamous and brutal dictators of the 20th Century. Some of the more notable crimes committed by the Shah include his killing of 160,000 innocent Iranians between 1963 and 1978, ordering agencies such as SAVAK to bayonet any woman caught wearing the Hijab or other religious attire, suppressing freedom of speech, torturing thousands of political prisoners using the most heinous methods imaginable, and forming alliances with enemy nations such as the US, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UK. As such, the Shahs overthrow was logical, justified, and came 100% from the Iranian people without any outside intervention.

Here are several links going into detail regarding the Shahs crimes:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/watching-torture-94887%3famp=1
http://www.ghandchi.com/14-Savak.htm
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1979/12/6/life-under-the-shah-pit-was/
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »

Everything is Trump's fault! The protesters would be loved by the Iranian state media and the government if not for Trump's statement!

You people are deranged.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »

I think people are reading too far into this. They are protests. Protests happen all the time everywhere. The Iranian government is probably safe for now. This is something I would keep an eye on though because it could escalate. Hopefully not, because anyone who thinks the Iranian government will fall and then there will be a modern, democratic, peaceful Iran is mistaken. The Iranian government remains with a lot of public support. Rouhani was just re-elected by a very strong landslide. There is also Syria, Hezbollah, the Iraqi PMU who have benefited from years of Iranian support and may want to return the favour.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 08:41:42 AM »

I agree 100%. The Shah of Iran was one of the most infamous and brutal dictators of the 20th Century. Some of the more notable crimes committed by the Shah include his killing of 160,000 innocent Iranians between 1963 and 1978, ordering agencies such as SAVAK to bayonet any woman caught wearing the Hijab or other religious attire, suppressing freedom of speech, torturing thousands of political prisoners using the most heinous methods imaginable, and forming alliances with enemy nations such as the US, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UK. As such, the Shahs overthrow was logical, justified, and came 100% from the Iranian people without any outside intervention.

There are no countries that are objectively enemies of another country. If you form an alliance with a country its no longer your enemy. It may in some cases be an untrustworthy ally, but its not an enemy.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »

This thread is full of pro-regime hacks.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »

This thread is full of pro-regime hacks.

Just read through and didn't find any pro-regime comments. Is there something I'm missing?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2017, 09:35:07 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Everything is Trump's fault! The protesters would be loved by the Iranian state media and the government if not for Trump's statement!

You people are deranged.

Yeah the American commentary on the protests has been horrible from all sides. Either evil Trump will discredit the protests/go full neocon and bomb Iran or the liberal media is refusing the cover the protests and Trump is so much better than Obama in 2009 blah blah blah. They can only seem to interpret the events in terms of their own domestic politics, it's totally narcissistic.  
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »

you say that as if they were not painted that way in 2009.  Not everything is Trump's fault or made worse by him.  Again, he's a horrible President, doing and saying horrible things on a daily basis, we shouldn't waste a second making up sh**t about him.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »

You people are deranged.

Yeah the American commentary on the protests has been horrible from all sides. Either evil Trump will discredit the protests/go full neocon and bomb Iran or the liberal media is refusing the cover the protests and Trump is so much better than Obama in 2009 blah blah blah. They can only seem to interpret the events in terms of their own domestic politics, it's totally narcissistic. 
I completely agree with this as well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »

I think people are reading too far into this. They are protests. Protests happen all the time everywhere. The Iranian government is probably safe for now. This is something I would keep an eye on though because it could escalate. Hopefully not, because anyone who thinks the Iranian government will fall and then there will be a modern, democratic, peaceful Iran is mistaken. The Iranian government remains with a lot of public support. Rouhani was just re-elected by a very strong landslide. There is also Syria, Hezbollah, the Iraqi PMU who have benefited from years of Iranian support and may want to return the favour.

Rouhani is a moderate reformist. His opponents he beat in a landslide were the hardliners.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »

Rouhani is a moderate reformist. His opponents he beat in a landslide were the hardliners.

I think thumb's point is that the election had a decent turnout giving the regime a bit of 'legitimacy'.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »

There are no countries that are objectively enemies of another country. If you form an alliance with a country its no longer your enemy. It may in some cases be an untrustworthy ally, but its not an enemy.
The US, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UK have always been against the interests of Iran and have sought to subjugate the Iranian people for decades, so I consider them to be the true enemies of Iran.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies