Protests in Iran (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:02:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protests in Iran (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protests in Iran  (Read 2602 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« on: December 31, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »

I think people are reading too far into this. They are protests. Protests happen all the time everywhere. The Iranian government is probably safe for now. This is something I would keep an eye on though because it could escalate. Hopefully not, because anyone who thinks the Iranian government will fall and then there will be a modern, democratic, peaceful Iran is mistaken. The Iranian government remains with a lot of public support. Rouhani was just re-elected by a very strong landslide. There is also Syria, Hezbollah, the Iraqi PMU who have benefited from years of Iranian support and may want to return the favour.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »

This thread is full of pro-regime hacks.

Just read through and didn't find any pro-regime comments. Is there something I'm missing?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

I think people are reading too far into this. They are protests. Protests happen all the time everywhere. The Iranian government is probably safe for now. This is something I would keep an eye on though because it could escalate. Hopefully not, because anyone who thinks the Iranian government will fall and then there will be a modern, democratic, peaceful Iran is mistaken. The Iranian government remains with a lot of public support. Rouhani was just re-elected by a very strong landslide. There is also Syria, Hezbollah, the Iraqi PMU who have benefited from years of Iranian support and may want to return the favour.

Rouhani is a moderate reformist. His opponents he beat in a landslide were the hardliners.

I think thumb's point is that the election had a decent turnout giving the regime a bit of 'legitimacy'.
Kinda.

My point is that a president who just won an election with 57% of the vote with 73% turnout is not a president who is about to be rebelled against, even if some of that support was for a lesser of evils.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2017, 05:43:39 PM by thumb21 »

Rouhani is a moderate reformist. His opponents he beat in a landslide were the hardliners.

I think thumb's point is that the election had a decent turnout giving the regime a bit of 'legitimacy'.
Kinda.

My point is that a president who just won an election with 57% of the vote with 73% turnout is not a president who is about to be rebelled against, even if some of that support was for a lesser of evils.
Their election had more legitimacy then ours, because while ours had 60% turnout theirs had 73% turnout and while our leader won 46% of the vote (Trump lost the popular vote and only won because of the undemocratic electoral college) their leader won 57% of the vote so who’s really spose to lecture who about Democratic elections?

American election candidates don't have to be approved my a bunch of clerics.

Also the Iranian elections are less important because the unelected Ayatollah has the final say.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies