Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:34:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 46
Author Topic: Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)  (Read 33368 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »

It's also worth pointing out that most multi field primaries narrow out after Iowa and New Hampshire; I mean I can't think of any primary since what, 1992, where there were more than 2-3 obvious choices for the nominee.

Politicians are generally craven, and cowardly when it comes to endorsements; unless you're really good friends they're not going to endorse a no hoper.

Lumine has rejected probably about 5-10 of my endorsements, and I'm the front runner Tongue Makes the game more challenging

Oh, Lumine has rejected dozens, if not scores, of my endorsement requests.

Indeed, I prefer being cautious when it comes to endorsements. I learned that lesson on the first election game I played, a 2008 Game hosted by Spamage (and a truly wonderful experience) in which too many endorsements were granted at the start and realism seemed to be broken for a moment.

One of the downsides to choosing little known candidates is that endorsements will be harder to grant, as there may be very few links with other politicians or little incentive for them to endorse (for example, sitting officeholders would find it hard to endorse General Clark because of their desire not to lose influence in their current parties).

And without meaning to sound harsh, I tend to get the impression players put too much focus on endorsements at times. They help, but a well made schedule or a set of speeches have a much bigger impact on the game.

Wait...was the Spammage '08 game the one where I was Giuliani? Did we cut our teeth in the same election game?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #801 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »

Wait...was the Spammage '08 game the one where I was Giuliani? Did we cut our teeth in the same election game?

Not sure, I think you may be referring to the NHI 2004 Game were Giuliani was elected President. This is the game I'm referring to, all the way back to 2012:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=165005.0

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #802 on: February 19, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »

Not sure, I think you may be referring to the NHI 2004 Game were Giuliani was elected President. This is the game I'm referring to, all the way back to 2012:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=165005.0

Riiight, I was thinking of my 2008 re-elect in NHI's game. Oops Tongue
adamevans
United States

« Reply #803 on: February 19, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »

I tend to pick endorsements that may have a closer political relation to Fletcher like Huckabee, Pence, Perdue, or Blunt all of which had close political relations to him and similar views. Newspapers are a nice touch to endorsements too.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #804 on: February 19, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »

I tend to pick endorsements that may have a closer political relation to Fletcher like Huckabee, Pence, Perdue, or Blunt all of which had close political relations to him and similar views. Newspapers are a nice touch to endorsements too.

Lately, I've been trying to pick endorsements among Democrats who didn't endorse Hillary in 2008, like Harry Reid (that hasn't worked yet...maybe because Hillary won, Nevada), politicians with bad relationships with Hillary, like Al Gore, or endorsees of Feingold like Bernie Sanders and Sherrod Brown.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #805 on: February 19, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »

Umm...people are posting this turn right? So far, we've only had Biden, Clinton, Carolla, and Jones's exit from the race...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #806 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:19 PM »

Turn will end Tuesday night, in exactly 24 hours. If players really need more time I may grant a final extension.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #807 on: February 19, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »

Turn will end Tuesday night, in exactly 24 hours. If players really need more time I may grant a final extension.

We probably need a serious one. Of players still playing, only DKrol, Jaguar4life, and I have posted anything, and Spiral has dropped out.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #808 on: February 19, 2018, 11:03:44 PM »

We probably need a serious one. Of players still playing, only DKrol, Jaguar4life, and I have posted anything, and Spiral has dropped out.

Fair point, I may not have time to update myself. Let's make it 48 hours from now on.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #809 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:06 PM »

I posted my schedule..
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #810 on: February 19, 2018, 11:30:15 PM »

I posted my schedule..

There's a debate too... did you forget about that, or is everyone skipping it?
adamevans
United States

« Reply #811 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »

I posted my schedule..

I've been researching Ernie's policy on a couple of issues as well as some good talking points.

Also I don't know why you made a speech about Fletcher being against Climate Change. He endorsed the 25x'25 plan and was the first Kentucky Governor who had a comprehensive energy plan that supported Renewable Energy. Most Republicans supported Climate Change Action at this point in history too.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #812 on: February 20, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »

I posted my schedule..

I've been researching Ernie's policy on a couple of issues as well as some good talking points.

Also I don't know why you made a speech about Fletcher being against Climate Change. He endorsed the 25x'25 plan and was the first Kentucky Governor who had a comprehensive energy plan that supported Renewable Energy. Most Republicans supported Climate Change Action at this point in history too.

To be fair, that generalization probably applies more to Paul or Carolla, but Republicans have historically been the party of climate deniers...in this country more for religious reasons, which is Fletcher's strength.

Also, I was in Florida, I had to say something about Climate Change. In many ways, it's aimed more at Rubio (who is mentioned) and Rick Scott (who isn't).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #813 on: February 20, 2018, 03:26:09 AM »

I'm going to post all my stuff today
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #814 on: February 20, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »

Okay I hate doing this but I'm going to have drop out. I've got the last 3 weeks of uni coming up, and I don't have the time to devout the amount of energy/time that I'd want to give to make the game work well.

Have really enjoyed it though.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #815 on: February 20, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Blair, and thank you for playing.

Now that we've lost both Spiral and Blair though we're in a bit of a problem, I might say. Since there's just six players left (Clinton, Biden, Clark, Carolla, Fletcher and Paul), I'd like to put the question to the surviving players: should the game continue?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #816 on: February 20, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »

Now that we've lost both Spiral and Blair though we're in a bit of a problem, I might say. Since there's just six players left (Clinton, Biden, Clark, Carolla, Fletcher and Paul), I'd like to put the question to the surviving players: should the game continue?

I don't see why it shouldn't.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #817 on: February 20, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »

I agree with me not seeing why it shouldn't but if a 2000 Election Game may happen from this then, I would be down for it.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #818 on: February 20, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »

Now that we've lost both Spiral and Blair though we're in a bit of a problem, I might say. Since there are just six players left (Clinton, Biden, Clark, Carolla, Fletcher, and Paul), I'd like to put the question to the surviving players: should the game continue?
I don't play but I don't see how this survives
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #819 on: February 20, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »

Now that we've lost both Spiral and Blair though we're in a bit of a problem, I might say. Since there are just six players left (Clinton, Biden, Clark, Carolla, Fletcher, and Paul), I'd like to put the question to the surviving players: should the game continue?
I don't play but I don't see how this survives

Technailly speaking, at this point in primaries, there are relatively few Candidates so this could be exactly like OTL. (Also, IDK how to spell Tongue)
adamevans
United States

« Reply #820 on: February 20, 2018, 05:27:58 PM »

Looks like the race is effectively Fletcher vs. Paul unless someone else joins
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #821 on: February 20, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »

Quick, someone drop in as Ex-Governor Don Sundquist
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #822 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »

Maybe Christie endorses Carolla and then this race will really get crazy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #823 on: February 20, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »

Quick, someone drop in as Ex-Governor Don Sundquist Mitch McConnel

Maybe Christie endorses Carolla and then this race will really get crazy

Interesting though that may be, I don't see it happening.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #824 on: February 20, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »

Carolla is basically a more mainstream friendly version of Ron Paul.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies