0% of USA's 100 largest churches affirm LGBT people.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:48:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  0% of USA's 100 largest churches affirm LGBT people.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 0% of USA's 100 largest churches affirm LGBT people.  (Read 935 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »

https://www.churchclarity.org/100

0% are also led by women (1 is co-led with his husband)

Fascinating stuff.

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »

Not very surprising.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2018, 12:01:57 PM by Senator Scott🎄 »

I'm hopeful that the Millennials and Gen Z-ers who haven't abandoned Christianity will change this, even modestly.  Sadly I don't see America becoming more Christian in the future, and the rising number of people identifying as religious 'nones' will be a challenge for progressive High Church folks like myself.

Even the LGBT-affirming church I was baptized in was 90% olds when I attended and did volunteer work there.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »

Although if "largest churches" means megachurches (aka concert halls), I can't say I feel too bad.  But that's just me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »

this tells us nothing other than the kind of people that want to go to mega churches....which only a tiny fraction of church goers attend....right?  I actually have no idea.  I'd just assume it would be a small chunk of Christians.  Any ideas on how to Google such a thing?  I can find information on them, as a group (they are boring, not evil or racist), and really rough estimates on how many Americans attend.....which I guess I can use to sort of figure out what I'm looking for.

40% (~100M) of Americans SAY they go to church every week
20% (~50M) actually do

ABC news tells me there are 2-5M Americans go to megachurches...so somewhere between 2 and 10% of church goes go to a megachurch.

I don't even remember what my point was and I've lost all interest....so, here ya go.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »

Yeah, I suspect this is the sort of situation where size doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. There certainly seem to be plenty of large denominations that welcome LGBT people.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »

Yeah, I suspect this is the sort of situation where size doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. There certainly seem to be plenty of large denominations that welcome LGBT people.

The site has many churches listed if you want to search the Database. People themselves are submitting reviews. What it does is it lays out whether a particular church is affirming, non affirming or evasive. Evasive churches tend to be the most problematic. Like one church in Edinburgh/Glasgow I've crossed swords with will never be pinned down on what it advocates, but the site states 'Its actively enforced policy is not listed on the website’s primary pages, but embedded in an audio sermon from October 2017. The sermon contains transphobic statements and states that being gay itself isn't a sin but acting on it is.'

From my days being involved with LGBT advocacy and seeking out affirming churches, this sort of thing is much needed.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »

The site has many churches listed if you want to search the Database. People themselves are submitting reviews. What it does is it lays out whether a particular church is affirming, non affirming or evasive. Evasive churches tend to be the most problematic. Like one church in Edinburgh/Glasgow I've crossed swords with will never be pinned down on what it advocates, but the site states 'Its actively enforced policy is not listed on the website’s primary pages, but embedded in an audio sermon from October 2017. The sermon contains transphobic statements and states that being gay itself isn't a sin but acting on it is.'

From my days being involved with LGBT advocacy and seeking out affirming churches, this sort of thing is much needed.

The site and the database are still quite small. Like just looking at it it has to have less than 1% of churches listed. I count a whopping total of 30 scored in Minnesota, and only 2 outside the Twin Cities metro area. It's an interesting resource, but not one that I'd put much stock in for total information.

Interestingly despite the small size my own church DOES appear on the site (As "Unclear: Affirming")
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 10:59:14 PM »

👍
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:45:23 AM »

The site and the database are still quite small. Like just looking at it it has to have less than 1% of churches listed. I count a whopping total of 30 scored in Minnesota, and only 2 outside the Twin Cities metro area. It's an interesting resource, but not one that I'd put much stock in for total information.

Interestingly despite the small size my own church DOES appear on the site (As "Unclear: Affirming")

Is your church listed here?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »

Is your church listed here?

No. I should email a pastor about applying for that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »

My UU church only last year became an officially "affirming" church. The primary reasons it took so long was a combination of inertia and concerns on the part of some members that affirming one group would indicate that it was more valued than others.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »

Here's something else I don't like about that site, I can't find any way to search by geographic proximity. Only by state. So searching for churches specifically near me or some other location basically requires looking through the whole state. What a mess.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:37 PM »

Yawn. News at 10
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »

Looks like Matthew Vines has his work cut out for him...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies