How Should People Decide to Vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How Should People Decide to Vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should we vote based on what is good for ourselves, or what is good for society?
Good for ourselves

Good for society

Compromise

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: How Should People Decide to Vote?  (Read 977 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

This is something of a false dichotomy, particularly in the long term. If one focuses on just oneself, and damn the community at large, as community life deteriorates, your life might be negatively impacted, and how about your descendants, who might not end up in the same situation as you? No man is an island. We all live in communities, and depend upon such communities.

Agreed
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »

This is something of a false dichotomy, particularly in the long term. If one focuses on just oneself, and damn the community at large, as community life deteriorates, your life might be negatively impacted, and how about your descendants, who might not end up in the same situation as you? No man is an island. We all live in communities, and depend upon such communities.

Agreed

Yeah this is the most correct answer.  Even people who claim to have altruistically voted for the betterment of the whole society have concluded that it is still in their best individual interest to do so.

Nonetheless, I voted option 1 just because I'm not sure that there's any interest that exists that isn't self-motivated....
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »

What a lovely discussion Cheesy
I agree with the false dichotomy of it. We should strive for both, and when voting hopefully we think of the well-being of others as well as ourselves. Though if I was given the choice to lose my job and being poor, in order to make 1 million other people have a job and live middle class, I'd probably take it out of selflessness.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies