PA-18 Special Election - Lamb by a nose (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:00:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-18 Special Election - Lamb by a nose (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA-18 Special Election - Lamb by a nose  (Read 201837 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 02, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »

BRD Polling - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rlBtiNl6sz02e1WvEy5vNTMm9AtfeyCLe7jvcYyq9RY/edit

Lamb - 47
Saccone - 46
Undecided - 6

Undecideds lean Lamb 50-46 when pushed.

Trump approval above water 50-44
Casey approval below water 38-45 (yikes)
Toomey approval above water 41-34

Looking at the crosstabs, Lamb is in trouble. Trump is above water in this district. All it would take is for him to make a few visits and Saccone got this in the bag.

Oh god. A third person in the Limo-Lear circle jerk.

Btw, very impressive numbera for Casey.
Numbers aren't circle jerks. Trump being at 50 means that all he has to do is reinforce that a vote for Saccone is a vote for him, and presto, Lamb will have to run in the new district and wait his turn.
I doubt it will be that easy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:32:07 AM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 02:34:22 AM »

A LimoLiberal phone-banking story

Voter: Hello?
LimoLiberal: Good evening ma'm, do you have a moment to talk about the ongoing Congressional special election and why Lamb is the best candidate for your district?
Voter: Well, sure, for a minute anyway.
LimoLiberal: Lamb has only been leading in one poll, so I doubt he can win.
Voter: Wait, what?
LimoLiberal: Especially after the Texas primary completely blew up the wave narrative, Saccone is unfortunately going to win.
Voter: Aren't you supposed to be convincing me to vote for Lamb?
LimoLiberal: I am. Just because I don't believe Democrats are getting a wave in 2018 doesn't mean I'm not trying to convince you to vote for Lamb.
Voter: Ok, I have to go. Take care, or something...
LimoLiberal: Alright, just FYI though, tomorrow morning, Gravis is going to release a poll showing a total collapse for Lamb, but it's important you go to vote for him.

hangs up

Of course, there may be a massive blizzard that day, so you may not even want to leave the house.
Not to mention lots of rain.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »

A few months ago, when Murphy resigned and the special election was called, I remember Sean Trende tweeting that "here is another chance for the Democrats to lose another race by 5-6 points and claim moral victory afterwards".

I guess things went a little differently than he anticipated.

To be fair, at that time it looked like a long shot.

Alabama senate looked like a no shot last August.
Yet Bill effing Kristol predicted that Jones would win.
To be fair, that was the pattern at the time - Democrats failing to win special after special election.
One needs to keep in mind the context and circumstances.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »

Note that the parts of new PA-14 not in the existing PA-18 are, under normal circumstances at least, considerably more D than the parts in the present PA-18. Worth seriously contesting for the Ds, no matter how badly Clinton bombed there.

I mean it's not just Clinton - Obama lost the district by 18 points in 2012. Sure, there are districts Obama lost by 15-20 points that can still be won by the right Democrat at the right time (especially in Appalachia), but it's not exactly a prime target. If Democrats want to make a play for a deeply WWC district in Pennsylvania, PA-16 would be a much better choice.
It includes all of Fayette County, which Wolf won in 2014.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »

Note that the parts of new PA-14 not in the existing PA-18 are, under normal circumstances at least, considerably more D than the parts in the present PA-18. Worth seriously contesting for the Ds, no matter how badly Clinton bombed there.

I mean it's not just Clinton - Obama lost the district by 18 points in 2012. Sure, there are districts Obama lost by 15-20 points that can still be won by the right Democrat at the right time (especially in Appalachia), but it's not exactly a prime target. If Democrats want to make a play for a deeply WWC district in Pennsylvania, PA-16 would be a much better choice.

He still lost Westmoreland by 14 points, despite being ahead by 10 statewide.
Wait, are we on the same page here? I am talking about new PA-14.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »

He still lost Westmoreland by 14 points, despite being ahead by 10 statewide.
Wait, are we on the same page here? I am talking about new PA-14.

...yes? The new PA-14 includes almost all of Westmoreland County.
Evidence points to most statewide D nominees losing it by high single digits.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=42&year=2016&f=0&off=8&elect=0
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies