Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:05:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 260339 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »

Why should the Pacific be labeling certain acts sins? We are a secular government.

It's pretty commonly accepted that that is the name for this type of tax. You can call it a sumptuary tax or a Pignovian tax or just a sales tax if you want; it doesn't change what it is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1501 on: January 24, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1502 on: January 26, 2011, 03:20:54 AM »

Nay, one of the things that sets the Pacific apart from other regions is its longstanding objection to regressive consumption taxes, including those designed to stimulate social engineering.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1503 on: January 26, 2011, 06:02:59 AM »

Random question : can the councilors vote there too ? Since the assembly is made of every citizen, it also comprises them.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1504 on: January 26, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »

Nay, one of the things that sets the Pacific apart from other regions is its longstanding objection to regressive consumption taxes, including those designed to stimulate social engineering.

Dude, it taxes DRUGS.  DRUGS.  It's not like we're taxing food for needy people.  

If you dislike the term "sin tax" why don't you just amend the bill and send it back to us?  I seriously don't care what it's named. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1505 on: January 27, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »

Random question : can the councilors vote there too ? Since the assembly is made of every citizen, it also comprises them.

No, we can't. Everyone only gets up to one vote on a bill, either in the Council or the Assembly.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1506 on: January 27, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »

Dude, it taxes DRUGS.  DRUGS.  It's not like we're taxing food for needy people.  

If you dislike the term "sin tax" why don't you just amend the bill and send it back to us?  I seriously don't care what it's named. 
You see the problem is that it isn't taxing the Bourgeoisie pigs enough, and it needs to include a provision that the region will not only cover the cost of elective abortions, but we pay people extra to get them. then and only then can we call it a nice progressive bill that it fit for the region
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1507 on: January 27, 2011, 01:22:50 AM »

Not to spoil the great debate going on, but the Council has now passed three bills awaiting approval by the People's Assembly:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1508 on: January 27, 2011, 04:46:31 AM »

Dude, it taxes DRUGS.  DRUGS.  It's not like we're taxing food for needy people. 

Surely, you would acknowledge that such a tax will disproportionately affect the poor in relation to their income and savings.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1509 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2011, 05:23:54 AM by Ebowed »

You see the problem is that it isn't taxing the Bourgeoisie pigs enough, and it needs to include a provision that the region will not only cover the cost of elective abortions, but we pay people extra to get them. then and only then can we call it a nice progressive bill that it fit for the region

The fact that you somehow see abortion as connected to anything else is a testament to the extremities attracted by the questionable introduction of a two-tiered legislature in the Pacific.  Perhaps your logically disturbing arguments and crass baiting go over well with the members of your council, but they will receive further scrutiny here.

The need for you to mischaracterize our views also demonstrates a lack of intellectual honesty which speaks for itself.

I am not here to rubber stamp your council's thoughtless tax increases and silly abortion regulations (banning partial-birth abortion?  I'm sorry, you may as well ban flag burning while you're at it).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1510 on: January 27, 2011, 05:05:58 AM »

nay
nay
nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1511 on: January 27, 2011, 05:09:29 AM »

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act: Nay.
Amendment to the Public Funding of Abortion Act: Nay.
Taxation of Prostitution Act: Nay.

Is there some sort of epidemic of intact D&X that warrants this prohibition, or is this just pointless gesturing that doesn't actually do anything to cut down on the number of abortions performed?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1512 on: January 27, 2011, 07:15:03 AM »

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act: Nay
Amendment to the Public Funding of Abortion Act: Nay
Taxation of Prostitution Act: Aye
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1513 on: January 27, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »

banning partial-birth abortion?  I'm sorry, you may as well ban flag burning while you're at it.

Unlike flag burning, partial-birth abortion is an extremely violent, disgusting, and destructive procedure that involved literally decapitating a child as it is being born and vacuuming out the remains. Not only that, but it is specifically protected by Pacific Statute in section four of the Public Funding of Abortion Act.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1514 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »

Unlike flag burning, partial-birth abortion is an extremely violent, disgusting, and destructive procedure that involved literally decapitating a child as it is being born and vacuuming out the remains.

Intact D&X is not performed as the child is being born, but rather involves inducing labor following the death of the fetus.  The alternative that late into the pregnancy is usually destroying the fetus in utero and then removing the parts individually, which can be riskier depending on the exact circumstances of the pregnancy.

Any conversation we are going to have about any kind of abortion performed in the late second and third trimesters will involve 'violent' and 'disgusting' connotations, and I am convinced that legislation of this nature is an overreaction to a procedure that is uncommon and generally only used when medically necessary.  You've left in a provision allowing this procedure if the continuation of the pregnancy constitutes a 'grave' threat to the life of the mother (hardly a parameter with any leeway), and I would be more comfortable with doctors being able to determine that they will not be dealing with serious legal problems for performing one type of abortion over another when the outcome is identical.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1515 on: January 27, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »

Unlike flag burning, partial-birth abortion is an extremely violent, disgusting, and destructive procedure that involved literally decapitating a child as it is being born and vacuuming out the remains.

Intact D&X is not performed as the child is being born, but rather involves inducing labor following the death of the fetus.  The alternative that late into the pregnancy is usually destroying the fetus in utero and then removing the parts individually, which can be riskier depending on the exact circumstances of the pregnancy.

Any conversation we are going to have about any kind of abortion performed in the late second and third trimesters will involve 'violent' and 'disgusting' connotations, and I am convinced that legislation of this nature is an overreaction to a procedure that is uncommon and generally only used when medically necessary.  You've left in a provision allowing this procedure if the continuation of the pregnancy constitutes a 'grave' threat to the life of the mother (hardly a parameter with any leeway), and I would be more comfortable with doctors being able to determine that they will not be dealing with serious legal problems for performing one type of abortion over another when the outcome is identical.

Being born was probably a bad way of putting it, but I suppose that's irrelevant. There is some variation on the methods used, however.

Obviously, not much will change on this issue.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1516 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2011, 09:37:40 PM by Pacific Councilor Mr. Fuzzleton »

The fact that you somehow see abortion as connected to anything else is a testament to the extremities attracted by the questionable introduction of a two-tiered legislature in the Pacific.  Perhaps your logically disturbing arguments and crass baiting go over well with the members of your council, but they will receive further scrutiny here.

The need for you to mischaracterize our views also demonstrates a lack of intellectual honesty which speaks for itself.

I am not here to rubber stamp your council's thoughtless tax increases and silly abortion regulations (banning partial-birth abortion?  I'm sorry, you may as well ban flag burning while you're at it).

Yes, how horrible, people will die off in droves now because of our tax on harmful drugs which they don't have to buy.  And the worst part, the money which is collected (from the poor, middle class and rich alike) goes to underfunded hospitals in low income areas and public college grants for aspiring medical practitioners.  We are such bastards. Tongue
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1517 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »

Why should the Pacific be labeling certain acts sins? We are a secular government.

Oh yes, just like the Jesus Christ Party!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Maybe the name of the bill was meant to be silly too.  Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1518 on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »

If I don't like Coldplay, does that mean I should try to tax the sale of Coldplay albums and concert tickets, and then devote the revenues to music programs at schools? Tongue
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1519 on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »

If I don't like Coldplay, does that mean I should try to tax the sale of Coldplay albums and concert tickets, and then devote the revenues to music programs at schools? Tongue

Is Coldplay a primary cause of illusions and lung conditions? 
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1520 on: January 28, 2011, 12:09:39 AM »

I believe it is a cause of a brain damage Tongue

But more seriously, this is similar to what I mentioned earlier--I think I could support a tax that goes towards funding the associated health care costs with drug use, etc. But if it just goes to the hospitals in general, I don't really think that's fair.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1521 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:07 AM »

Is this a reference to The Bieber-Cobain act? Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1522 on: January 28, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »

The answer is, of course, yes. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1523 on: January 28, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

The answer is, of course, yes. Tongue

Hmm...
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1524 on: January 30, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2011, 11:44:27 PM by Pacific Councilor Mr. Fuzzleton »

I believe it is a cause of a brain damage Tongue

But more seriously, this is similar to what I mentioned earlier--I think I could support a tax that goes towards funding the associated health care costs with drug use, etc. But if it just goes to the hospitals in general, I don't really think that's fair.

Well many hospitals already have high costs due to being understaffed or under equipped, this bill would be aimed at fixing both those problems.  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies