Pacific Legislature Official Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:36:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 261736 times)
CultureKing
United States

« on: October 20, 2007, 06:50:34 PM »

Guaranteed Minimum Income Bill
-Nay

Free Our Prisons Bill
Nay

Metric System Bill
Aye

Local Restrictions Bill
Aye

Affirmative Action Restoration Bill
Aye

Income Tax Increase Bill
Aye

Selective Education Bill
Nay
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:31:50 PM »

I'd like to propose these two new bills. I'll wait a day or so before signing them so anybody can comment or make suggestions.

MENTAL INSTITUTION BILL
1) The Pacific Region shall construct a state-of-the-art facility to house the region's most dangerous mentally ill patients.
2) The facility will be located on Treasure Island.
3) The facility shall be named the John D. Ford Regional Mental Institution, in honor of the Pacific's second Governor.

PACIFIC CAPITOL BUILDING BILL
1) The Pacific Region shall purchase the San Francisco City Hall from the city of San Francisco, using eminent domain if necessary.
2) The San Francisco city government shall have until February 4th, 2008 to relocate. Following this date, the Pacific Regional Government shall move into the building.
3) The city hall shall be renamed the Pacific Capitol Building.
4) The building will serve as the meeting place of the Pacific Legislature, and house the offices of the Pacific Governor and Pacific Senator.
5) The building will include a safe drug-injection site. This will help in preventing the spread of diseases such as AIDS.
In regard to having a capitol building why don't we just create our own new one instead of creating ill-will by seizing San Francisco's?

Oh and is San Francisco the official capital of the region?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:28:15 PM »

I'd like to propose these two new bills. I'll wait a day or so before signing them so anybody can comment or make suggestions.

MENTAL INSTITUTION BILL
1) The Pacific Region shall construct a state-of-the-art facility to house the region's most dangerous mentally ill patients.
2) The facility will be located on Treasure Island.
3) The facility shall be named the John D. Ford Regional Mental Institution, in honor of the Pacific's second Governor.

PACIFIC CAPITOL BUILDING BILL
1) The Pacific Region shall purchase the San Francisco City Hall from the city of San Francisco, using eminent domain if necessary.
2) The San Francisco city government shall have until February 4th, 2008 to relocate. Following this date, the Pacific Regional Government shall move into the building.
3) The city hall shall be renamed the Pacific Capitol Building.
4) The building will serve as the meeting place of the Pacific Legislature, and house the offices of the Pacific Governor and Pacific Senator.
5) The building will include a safe drug-injection site. This will help in preventing the spread of diseases such as AIDS.
In regard to having a capitol building why don't we just create our own new one instead of creating ill-will by seizing San Francisco's?

Oh and is San Francisco the official capital of the region?

Yes, SF is the capital.

As for creating our own capitol building, what are we going to do, draw crappy designs in paint ?

Or copy the design from another capitol building elsewhere in the world
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:16:08 PM »

Mental Institution Bill
-Aye

Pacific Capitol Building Bill
-Aye

Resolution Concerning the View of the Pacific Region on Capital Punishment
-Nay
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »

Here is some legislation I'm proposing:

Electroshock Weapons Restrictions Bill
1) The use of electroshock weapons (including but not limited to tasers) by law enforcement within the Pacific Region is hereby banned.

Abstain Bill
1) When one votes "abstain" in the Pacific Legislature, it shall not be counted when determining if the legislation being voted on has received a majority of votes cast. This will prevent voting "abstain" from counting as a de facto nay vote.

Comments?

Regarding the electroshock weapons restrictions bill, is it illegal for police in the pacific region to use pepper spray/bullets or batons?   (bsically what methods of containment would be left to the police force?)
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:02:54 PM »

Regarding the electroshock weapons restrictions bill, is it illegal for police in the pacific region to use pepper spray/bullets or batons?

Yes. This bill only prohibits electroshock weapons. They kill dozens of people every year.

so it IS illegal for police to use pepper spray and batons?
(sorry maybe my brain is not quite working today)
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »

Electroshock Weapons Restrictions Bill:  Nay
Abstain Bill:  Aye
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:05:09 AM »

Nay

Aye

Aye
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »

Prison Diet Bill
1) Whereas meat is a financially and environmentally expensive luxury that humans can live healthily without.
2) Whereas there is no compelling reason to reward criminals in prisons with this expensive luxury.
3) Therefore all prisons and jails within the Pacific Region shall feed their inmates a strict vegetarian diet.

X Governor Bgwah

Forcing a diet on a population? That seems a bit extreme/authoritarian... Also a vegitarian diet can be difficult to maintain on a healthy level (getting all your needed proteins and AA's), I really don't see how it would cost that much more to give them meat and we would probably have prison riots break out throughout the region.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »

Prison Diet Bill: NAY

Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill: NAY

I would like to add that the disrespect for individual rights in the first bill is astounding even if we are talking about prison imates, it still doesn't change the fact that they are HUMAN. I shutter to think of what would happen to this great region if more authoritarian bills such as this were to be enacted.

For the other bill I just don't like anything that resembles a cult. (except for the Rocky Horror Picture show of course)
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »

I would like to add that the disrespect for individual rights in the first bill is astounding even if we are talking about prison imates, it still doesn't change the fact that they are HUMAN. I shutter to think of what would happen to this great region if more authoritarian bills such as this were to be enacted.

The prisons already pick and choose what food their inmates eat. How is this anymore authoritarian than putting them in prison in the first place? And how is this inhuman!?

I never realized how illogical you were.

And naming something after someone is resembles a cult? Does our state name resemble a cult? Or most of our county names? Or Seattle?

Most of our county names come from great leaders of the nation, Grant (president), Lewis and Clark (the explorers). I just would rather wait 50-100 years to name such a large feature after a person, this helps to let us have a more distanced view on things.

And some of this is not about logic, you still have not explained to me how it is worth it to strictly limit a population's diet against their will (we all know it would be) simply to same a small amount of money. Just let the inmates have their meat it is not that big of a deal.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2008, 10:40:22 PM by CultureKing »

The Prison Diet Bill passes 3-2.

X Governor Bgwah

The Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill passes 4-1.

X Governor Bgwah

didn't Friz vote? I could have sworn that I saw a post with him voting.... 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act

1. All prices for gasoline displayed at gas stations must be rounded up to the nearest cent.
2. If a station is found noncompliant, the company operating the station shall be fined 10% of the earnings at that station during the period of noncompliance.

I approve this law, personally I hate seeing the $3.49.99 at gas stations, why can't they just say $3.50?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »

Smoking Rights Amendment
1) The right of owners of private establishments, such as but not limited to restaurants and bars, to determine whether or not their establishments allow the smoking of tobacco by those of legal age shall not be infringed upon.
X Governor Bgwah

hmmm... while I oppose this bill I think there are some amendments that could be added to make it better if it did indeed pass. Possibilities:
-An amendment that calls for all private establishments that do allow the smoking of tobacco to provide a non-smoking area for patrons who prefer a smoke-free environment.
-An amendment that adds funds to education programs that stress the health risks of smoking.
-An amendment that invests funds in programs that help smokers quit (the funding could easily come from the money saved from medical expenses that smokers would have otherwise used).

Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space
1) The people of the Pacific Region demand that the first planet to be permanently colonized by human settlers be named after Rocky Dennis.
X Governor Bgwah

Could we also add on there anything about the planet being a functioning part of the Pacific Region (as well as possibly being settled by Pacificans?)

Also with the regional motto: "In Rocky we trust" are we free to interpret this to mean any rocky? For example Rocky Balboa:
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

Smoking Rights Amendment
1) The right of owners of private establishments, such as but not limited to restaurants and bars, to determine whether or not their establishments allow the smoking of tobacco by those of legal age shall not be infringed upon.
X Governor Bgwah

hmmm... while I oppose this bill I think there are some amendments that could be added to make it better if it did indeed pass. Possibilities:
-An amendment that calls for all private establishments that do allow the smoking of tobacco to provide a non-smoking area for patrons who prefer a smoke-free environment.
-An amendment that adds funds to education programs that stress the health risks of smoking.
-An amendment that invests funds in programs that help smokers quit (the funding could easily come from the money saved from medical expenses that smokers would have otherwise used).

No thx Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm afraid that may be unreasonable---who knows what will be of our fine region in the future in the first place. We just need to make sure Rocky gets the honor he deserves by having an important planet named after him.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Certainly!

hmm... Well could we include funding to build an intergalictic transporter or star ship in order to ensure that the Pacific is the first region to discover a habitable planet?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 10:18:45 PM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act:  Aye
Regional Motto Bill:  Aye
Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II:  Aye
Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space:  Aye
Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill:  Aye
Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship:  Aye
Smoking Rights Amendment:  Nay (think of the children!  Wink   )
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »

Infant Abandonment Bill

1. Any woman who gives birth may abandon the infant to medical personnel without financial or legal penalty up to one week after birth, or when she leaves the hospital as a result of the pregnancy, whichever occurs later.

Mothers' Rights Bill

1. No local law may be enacted to restrict the right of a mother to breastfeed her infant in public.
2. No public establishment may discriminate on the basis of public breastfeeding.

These both sound good to me, though isn't there already a law much luch the abandonment bill?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »

For the next round I would like to propose:

DMV Music Enjoyment Act
1. During its hours of operations the DMV must play The Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner and the entire soundtrack to Yentl with Barbara Streisand in its waiting rooms.
2. The music may be temporarily paused only for announcements.
3. If a DMV so chooses they may play the movie Yentl in place of the soundtrack.
4. The music is not to be any lower than 90 dB.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »

aye
nay
aye
nay
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »

Nay.
It sounds too much like Swaziland and I don't want the Pacific to turn into a backwards region...

I offer up this idea:
Regional renaming amendment

1) The Pacific Region shall be henceforth known as Pacifica.
2) All references to the Pacific Region shall be changed to Pacifica in the current constitution.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »

aye
aye

Bgwah would you like to draw up a map of the revised Turkey so I can introduce the measure to the senate and actually take some action?
By the way Byzantion is an awesome name, though I prefer Constantinople.

Oh and what happened to my proposal to rename the Pacific as Pacifica?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »

Aye

I would also like to propose the following:

The Awesome Recognition Act:
1) In recognition of his great achievements for the city of Seattle and the Pacific Region a 300+ foot statue will be constructed in the likeness of Paul Allen.
2) The statue will be awesome.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 12:51:05 PM »

I would like to offer up the following amendment to the Reduction of Regressive Taxation Act:

Strike section 1.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »

I would like to offer up the following amendment to the Reduction of Regressive Taxation Act:

Strike section 1.

What is the benefit of sin taxes?

Those who choose to use such substances as nicotine end up costing the government money for health care, this is a way for them to help pay for their cost to society. Also it usually helps to pay for prevention and quitting plans.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 03:06:20 PM »

Oh:

Aye on the amendment
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies