People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Strongly Disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly Agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce?  (Read 14846 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: September 08, 2005, 12:08:22 PM »

Strongly agree. That is of course if the disability is SERIOUS as the question says.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 12:32:23 PM »

I really don't care if they want to reproduce or not - it's not up to me or the government to decide.

For the people who agree with the statement, if you're worried that the inheritable diseases will lower the quality of the gene pool or somesuch, you have little to worry about.  Natural selection will eventually filter out these diseases.

I'm not necessarily saying it's the governments role to prevent such things but its definately a strong personal belief of mine. Why should two people who themselves are suffering from some crippling disease reproduce and create another human who will be born in suffering or suffer shortly after birth? Is that fair to put a new life into the world who will do nothing but suffer?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:38:32 PM »

You're correct in saying it's not fair on that child, because it's not fair in the slightest.  But like I said, natural selection will eventually put a stop to that particular bloodline's continuation.

Thats why this test is so flawed. You could give like 4 different answers to the same question on each choice.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 12:49:12 PM »

Are we talking about heriditary neurological diseases, like Huntington's Disease (where children have a 50-50 chance of inheriting it if one parent is afflicted),

That runs in my family as well and is what killed all my grandfathers & his brothers other siblings. Their were about 12 siblings if I recall and only my grandfather and his brother never got Huntingtons. A genetic counselor told me I'd never have to worry about getting it though I'm not sure whether to believe her or not.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:45:27 AM »

Would bipolar disorder and body dysmorphic disorder be considered inheritable disabilities?

Ah, I reckon so....

The question says "SERIOUS" inheritable disabilities.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »

I really don't care if they want to reproduce or not - it's not up to me or the government to decide.

For the people who agree with the statement, if you're worried that the inheritable diseases will lower the quality of the gene pool or somesuch, you have little to worry about.  Natural selection will eventually filter out these diseases.

I'm not necessarily saying it's the governments role to prevent such things but its definately a strong personal belief of mine. Why should two people who themselves are suffering from some crippling disease reproduce and create another human who will be born in suffering or suffer shortly after birth? Is that fair to put a new life into the world who will do nothing but suffer?

So should they be aborted if their disease is detected in the womb?

No, I don't believe in murder or "mercy" killings.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »

The question says "SERIOUS" inheritable disabilities.

"SERIOUS"......like homosexuality?

No, Homosexuality is more likely a mental illness although genetics may have some influence.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 11:31:12 AM »

sigh.

I think this is a stupid thread.

Wow! Thanks for the great insight.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length