SingleTxGuyForFun redistricts the entire US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:52:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  SingleTxGuyForFun redistricts the entire US
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SingleTxGuyForFun redistricts the entire US  (Read 752 times)
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »
« edited: January 18, 2018, 11:25:37 PM by Singletxguyforfun »

The final result on my redistricting every state. Seats based off PVI sort out as 278 R, 154 D, 3 even . Any seats that are LIGHT BLUE, PINK, OR GRAY (Such as the 2 NH seats and the Syracuse, NY seat) can be considered as not totally locked down for either party with a PVI of 4 or less. I made a map showing the strength of each party in intervals of 1-4, 5-9, 10-14, 15-19, and 20+, and the other showing which party is likely to control it. (Unless a Roy Moore type runs) Feel free to comment and give me feed back. This project took well over 2 weeks and I can say that I will never have to use DRA for California ever again lol. This is essentially the best Republicans could do, given that there are only a few slight D seats (NH-2 RI-2, CT-2, CT-4, and IL-10)

West

South

North (now updated with 2 Reps in Massachusetts)

Individual States

Alabama: 6 Republicans, 1 Democrat
Alaska: 1 Republican
Arizona: 7 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Arkansas: 4 Republicans
California: 18 Republicans, 35 Democrats
Colorado: 5 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Connecticut: 1 Republican, 4 Democrats
Delaware: 1 Democrat
Florida: 18 Republicans, 9 Democrats
Georgia: 11 Republicans, 3 Democrats
Hawaii: 2 Democrats
Idaho: 2 Republicans
Illinois: 8 Republicans, 9 Democrats, 1 Even
Indiana: 7 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Iowa: 3 Republicans, 1 Democrat
Kansas: 4 Republicans
Kentucky: 6 Republicans
Louisiana: 5 Republicans, 1 Democrat
Maine: 1 Republican, 1 Democrat
Maryland: 4 Republicans, 4 Democrats
Massachusetts: 2 Republicans, 7 Democrats
Michigan: 10 Republicans, 4 Democrats
Minnesota: 6 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Mississippi: 3 Republicans, 1 Democrat
Missouri: 6 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Montana: 1 Republican
Nebraska: 3 Republicans
Nevada: 2 Republicans, 2 Democrats
New Hampshire: 1 Republican, 1 Democrat
New Jersey: 6 Republicans, 6 Democrats
New Mexico: 2 Republicans, 1 Democrat
New York: 11 Republicans, 15 Democrats, 1 Even
North Carolina: 10 Republicans, 3 Democrats
North Dakota: 1 Republican
Ohio: 13 Republicans, 3 Democrats
Oklahoma: 5 Republicans
Oregon: 3 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Pennsylvania: 14 Republicans, 4 Democrats
Rhode Island: 2 Democrats
South Carolina: 6 Republicans, 1 Democrat
South Dakota: 1 Republican
Tennessee: 8 Republicans, 1 Democrat
Texas: 26 Republicans, 10 Democrats
Utah: 4 Republicans
Vermont: 1 Democrat
Virginia: 8 Republicans, 4 Democrats
Washington: 5 Republicans, 5 Democrats
West Virginia: 3 Republicans
Wisconsin: 6 Republicans, 2 Democrats
Wyoming: 1 Republican
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:26:21 AM »

Is this a GOP gerrymander?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:28:12 AM »

Pretty certain Texas violates the VRA as well.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:53 AM »

Oh yeah. Big time. This was originally part of my maxed out GOP seats project, but i scaled it back a bit to provide minority districts and cleaner shapes to draw given I only have MS paint on my computer. I wasnt as aggressive as I could have been but I just wanted to see what the end result of a 50-state GOP gerrymander would look like
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:05:25 AM »

That Colorado map makes me physically ill and I'm confident that some of these districts, especially in TX, FL, and GA, violate the VRA, but this looks like a fun project, even if it is a fairly egregious gerrymander. I would do something similar (in favor of the Democrats, of course, given my general hackish nature) were it not for the fact that my computer has a hard time handling any state with over 20 electoral votes.

Dem gerrymadering is pretty hard to do if you want to get them on a map like I did because of all the thin bacon strips. I tried it once for a 6 seat Oregon and it didnt look too pretty. But it'd be cool to see just to see how wildly the seat count could swing in very obvious R vs D gerrymanders
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:47 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2018, 10:41:21 AM by Oryxslayer »

While a bunch of people are gagging at such a map, I always find it nice to explore hypothetical situations. So I am going to try and make your map better:

- I'm fairly certain you can make ME-02 more conservative, but you would probably need to cut more counties - your choice

- You didn't try and get a R PVI seat out of MA? That one is easy, and you can do it without cutting towns.

-I cannot tell from this distance if the red bit next to Staten island is an additional part of the island seat, or its own thing. If it isn't it's own seat - you can fit a conservative seat into the Flatbush using the white ethnics and Hasidim neighborhoods.  

- Unfortunately, you cannot kill the Kentucky dem seat. I recall reading that the state requires counties over the pop of the district (only Jefferson) to have the district based entirely within the county. This means no extraneous cuts. The best you can probably do is cut the urban core from the seat (since the county is like 40K over if my memory serves me) and put the conservative inner suburbs that are presently not in the seat inside the district.

- I am reasonably confident you could cut the lakeshore dem seat in Indiana using 2016 PVI. OFC, Trump probably got stronger margins than expected in the state though since Pence was his running mate, so perhaps cuting the seat isn't the best. Your call.

- Georgia is required to have 4 BVAP seats. You could however easily make the 2nd into a extreme dem pack taking in a whole lot more of the black belt than it does currently.

- I am 100% certain you could get away with cutting the KC seat in Missouri - it wouldn't be on the table for discussion in 2020 if it wasn't a possibility. However, having never played with this situation, it map just end up being a whole bunch of strips since the city you are cutting in at the far end of the state.

-Presently, every dem seat in TX is a VRA protected seat. The 'fajita stips' in South texas are also required by the courts, in order to prevent hyper-packed of Hispanics on the border. That said, you could probably get away with making some of these VRA seats like TX-23 now, with hispanic majorities but Republican PVIs due to hispanic under-registration.  I know for a fact you could get a McCain seat in Houston that is HVAP, and you could also make a Corpus Christi seat have a strong hispanic majority but still vote right due to how much of the rurals you include. Perhaps you could also do one with the SA-Austin seat since there is a bunch of precincts in the northeast of SA that have strong hispanic minorities but only voted clinton but a handful of points.

- I understand what you are going for in Iowa, preferring the 3-1 to the 4-0. However, if you are doing the 3-1, you should probably make the 1 a better pack. Something like this which is able to get Des Moines, Ames, and Iowa City all in one seat. Too many trump curious areas stuck in your present seat.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2018, 10:42:17 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

Splitting up the KC seat is easy. Uber pack MO-01, Give MO-02 all of St. Charles to make it safe R, and the rest of the state goes McCain by about 9-10 points. Then produce 6 seats that went McCain by around that margin.
Don't be afraid to have a seat running from Arkansas to Kansas City.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »

Splitting up the KC seat is easy. Uber pack MO-01, Give MO-02 all of St. Charles to make it safe R, and the rest of the state goes McCain by about 9-10 points. Then produce 6 seats that went McCain by around that margin.
Don't be afraid to have a seat running from Arkansas to Kansas City.

I might try that one later along with a few other states like TX and try to get a R district in MA. I was thinking about it since there are 5 Super-Republican seats just laying around outside of KC. I think I tried the AR-KC one but got snagged around Joplin or some other city down there, but i think that was before the updated version with PVI came out
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »

Oh man, do you think there's any chance they could be given 14 more seats to get a supermajority?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »

Oh man, do you think there's any chance they could be given 14 more seats to get a supermajority?

If I’m that close I might try it lol. I can probably squeeze 3 out of MA, 1 more out of CT, maybe 1 in each Illinois, Ohio and Nevada. Idk if it’s possibke unless I make it really ugly and do a bunch of R+1s
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »

If I’m that close I might try it lol. I can probably squeeze 3 out of MA, 1 more out of CT, maybe 1 in each Illinois, Ohio and Nevada. Idk if it’s possibke unless I make it really ugly and do a bunch of R+1s
I have a .drf of a ME-02 that would have leaned Republican in 2008. Would you be interested in me emailing it to you?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »

I have a .drf of a ME-02 that would have leaned Republican in 2008. Would you be interested in me emailing it to you?

Wow I didn’t know there could’ve been a R+ district in Maine that year lol. Yeah definitely send me it!! Thank you!!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »

Is there any way to slice up RI to create an R-leaning district?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 10:38:03 PM »

no
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 10:52:40 PM »

Nah, but you can easily get a clean looking D+2 or an ugly D+1
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »

How did you get California to load?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »

How did you get California to load?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »

Just allocate enough memory by clicking the button under "tools." Seriously, I have had two instances of CA open at one time while having a youtube video in the background. And my PC isn't special.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies