Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2018  (Read 9321 times)
FairBol
United States

« on: March 13, 2018, 06:28:46 AM »

Campus Free Expression Act of 2018

IN THE HOUSE OF DELEGATES

Mr. FairBol, for himself (with thanks to the General Assembly of the State of Missouri), introduces

A BILL

To secure free speech rights in the South's public institutions of higher education.

Be it enacted by the House of Delegates:

SEC. I - BILL DESIGNATION

A. The provisions of this section shall be known and cited as the "Campus Free Expression Act of 2018".  

SEC. II - PROTECTED ACTIVITIES

A. Expressive activities protected under the provisions of this bill include, but are not limited
to, all forms of peaceful assembly, protests, speeches, distribution of literature, carrying signs,
and circulating petitions.

SEC. III - OUTDOOR AREAS

A. The outdoor areas of campuses of public institutions of higher education in this state shall be
deemed traditional public forums.

B. Public institutions of higher education may maintain and enforce reasonable "time, place, and manner" restrictions in service of a significant institutional interest only when such restrictions employ clearly published content, and viewpoint-neutral criteria.

C. Any "time, place, and manner" restrictions shall provide for ample alternative means of expression, as well as allow for members of the university community to spontaneously and simultaneously assemble.

SEC. IV - PERSONS PERMITTED TO ENGAGE IN ACTIVITY

A. Any person who wishes to engage in non-commercial expressive activity on campus shall be permitted to do so freely, as long as the person's conduct is not unlawful; and does not, materially and substantially, disrupt the functioning of the institution, subject to the requirements of sub-sections B and C of section three.  

SEC. V - POTENTIAL CONFLICTS

A. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as limiting the right of student expression elsewhere on campus.

SEC. VI - LAWSUITS AND LEGAL ACTIONS

A. The following persons may bring an action in a court of competent jurisdiction to enjoin any violation of this section; or to recover compensatory damages, reasonable court costs, and attorney fees:

(1) The Southern attorney general;

(2) Persons whose expressive rights were violated through the violation of this section.

B. In any action brought under subsection A of this section, if the court finds a violation, the court shall award the aggrieved persons no less than five hundred dollars for the initial violation, plus fifty dollars for each day the violation remains ongoing.

C. A person shall be required to bring suit for violation of this section not later than one year after the day the violation takes place.

SEC. VII - EFFECTIVE DATE

A. This bill shall be enacted into law when passed by the House of Delegates, and signed by the Governor.  

Bill proposed this thirteenth day of March, in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eighteen.  
FairBol
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »

Just in case we need this.  

Continuing Appropriations Act of 2018

IN THE HOUSE OF DELEGATES

Mr. FairBol, for himself, introduces

A BILL

To keep the Southern government funded through June of 2018.

Be it enacted by the House of Delegates:

A. The provisions of this section shall be known and cited as the "Continuing Appropriations Act of 2018".  

SEC. II - GENERAL APPROPRIATIONS

A. For the period beginning in April 2018 and ending in June 2018, all government departments shall be funded at the levels indicated in the previous budget.  

SEC. III - EFFECTIVE DATE

A. This bill shall be enacted into law when passed by the House of Delegates, and signed by the Governor.  

Bill proposed this twentieth day of April, in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eighteen.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 02:15:34 PM »

(A representative of the Governor enters the Chamber)

GOVERNOR'S REP: I hereby lay before the Chamber a communication and executive order from the Governor.  :: hands a document to the Clerk, then exits stage left ::

CHAMBER CLERK:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Note: I figured Beamer's birthday was too close to Thanksgiving to be a regional holiday, so I went with the date of his marriage instead)
FairBol
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »

I'm not sure what the correct procedure would be on that.  I think I have the authority to designate regional holidays by executive order, but I'd have to defer to parliamentary procedure regarding this. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »

I've done some research on executive orders, and it seems that I have erred in terms of procedure.  According to my research, the proper form of my order is not an executive order, but a proclamation. 

"The difference between (an executive order and a proclamation) is that executive orders are aimed at those inside government, while proclamations are aimed at those outside government" (Wikipedia)

According to further research, a proclamation can "designate special observances or celebrate...holidays" (Wikipedia).  Such directives appear to not have the force of law, meaning they must be approved by the legislative branch.  As such, please consider my order to be a governor's proclamation, rather than an executive order.  And to answer your question, Mr. Speaker....yes, this is now filed as an action for the Chamber's consideration.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »

Southern Budget Act of 2018

IN THE CHAMBER OF DELEGATES

Governor FairBol, on behalf of the people of the Southern Region, introduces

A BILL

To fund essential programs and services of the Southern Government, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Chamber of Delegates:

A. The provisions of this section shall be known and cited as the "Southern Budget Act of 2018".  

SEC. II - GENERAL SPENDING AND APPROPRIATIONS

A. For the fiscal period beginning in June 2018, the departments of the South Government shall be funded at the following levels:

• Pensions
Base: $65.00 billion
Total: $65.00 billion (100%)

• Healthcare
Base: $200.55 billion
Total: $193.53 billion (96.5%)

• Education
Base: $115.00 billion
Total: $115.00 billion (100%)

• Defense
Base: $0.80 billion
Total: $0.80 billion (100%)

• Welfare
Base: $38.39 billion
Total: $38.39 billion (100%)

• Protection/Security
Base: $25.47 billion
Total: $25.09 billion (98.5%)

• Transportation
Base: $30.20 billion
Total: $30.20 billion (100%)

• General Government
Base: $15.50 billion
Total: $14.96 billion (96.5%)

• Other/Discretionary
Base: $65.92 billion
Total: $63.61 billion (99.4%)

Total Regional Spending: $566.68 billion

SEC. III - TAXATION AND REVENUE

A. For the fiscal period beginning in June 2018, taxes and collected revenue shall be as follows:

• Income Tax
Base: $13.60 billion
Total: $19.04 billion (4% tax)

• Social Security Tax
Base: $204.38 billion
Total: $204.38 billion (0% tax)

• Additional/Ad-Valorem Tax
Base: $277.41 billion
Excise/Marijuana Tax: 20.0% ($3.70 billion per year)
Total: $283.71 billion

• Fees and Charges
Base: $82.25 billion
Total: $82.25 billion (0% tax)

• Business and Other Revenue
Base: $57.84 billion
Total: $57.84 billion (0% tax)

Total Regional Revenue: $647.22 billion

Balance: +$80.54 billion

SEC. IV - EFFECTIVE DATE

Bill proposed this seventeenth day of May, in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eighteen.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:23:13 PM »

Protecting Our Region's Flag (PORF) Act of 2018

A BILL

To prohibit desecration of the South Regional Flag.

A. The provisions of this section shall be known and cited as the "Protecting Our Region's Flag (PORF) Act of 2018".  

SEC. II - CRIMINAL DESECRATION

A. Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, or burns any flag of the South Region shall be fined under this title, imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting any conduct consisting of the disposal of a flag when it has become worn or soiled.

C. As used in this section, the term "flag of the South Region" means any flag of the South Region, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, in a form that is commonly displayed.

D. Nothing in this section shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of the Southern Government to deprive any State of jurisdiction over any offense over which it would have jurisdiction in the absence of this section.

Bill proposed this eighteenth day of May, in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eighteen.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »

Just in case you guys missed it, check this

Also, I have reluctantly vetoed the Regional History and Government Testing Act. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »

A brief statement from the governor.  Smiley
FairBol
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »

Student Rights Regarding Search And Seizure Act of 2018

A BILL

To protect student rights regarding official searches and seizures.

A. The provisions of this section shall be known and cited as the "Student Rights Regarding Search And Seizure Act of 2018".  

SEC. II - CONSENT TO SEARCH

A. Upon reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, any educational personnel may request consent to search any student's belongings and/or property. 

B. The student that would be searched may, if they see fit, refuse consent to any such search.  Such a refusal is not to be construed as insubordination.

C. The taking of any disciplinary action by any educational official, as a response to refusal of consent to a request to search, is hereby prohibited. 

D. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the right of an educational official to acquire a warrant for any search, or to search when a warrant is possessed. 

E. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting "probable cause" based searches. 

Bill proposed this eighteenth day of June, in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eighteen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies