Question regarding Africa on "Wer wird Millionär?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:04:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Question regarding Africa on "Wer wird Millionär?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: See below.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Question regarding Africa on "Wer wird Millionär?"  (Read 2026 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »

On Monday, there was a question about the African continent on Wer wird Millionär?, the German version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?.

The question was as follows:

How many African countries have both an Atlantic coast and one adjacent to the Indian Ocean?

Answers: A: one | B: two | C: three | D: four

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

eins? right?  S.Africa....but it's so obvious I fear it must be a trick question.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »

eins? right?  S.Africa....but it's so obvious I fear it must be a trick question.

Some people on FB say the editors gave a wrong answer...
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »

How so?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »

How so?
This is a map showing the Atlantic Ocean:

And this is a map showing the Indian Ocean:

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »

eins? right?  S.Africa....but it's so obvious I fear it must be a trick question.

How so?
This is a map showing the Atlantic Ocean:

And this is a map showing the Indian Ocean:

Did they say two, including Egypt as well as South Africa? Or three, including France (Mayotte) as well as Egypt and South Africa? Can't think of a country that would make it four, but there are clearly multiple reasonable (if tricky) answers.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2018, 12:18:22 PM by Ἅιδης »

Did they say two, including Egypt as well as South Africa? Or three, including France (Mayotte) as well as Egypt and South Africa? Can't think of a country that would make it four, but there are clearly multiple reasonable (if tricky) answers.

"One" was supposed to be the correct answer, which the candidate eventually chose.
Mayotte is definitely wrong; it only has coasts adjacent to the Indian Ocean.

Edit: Now I know why you included France. However, France is a European country, and in the question they explicitly referred to African countries only.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2018, 12:37:05 PM by Tintrlvr »

"One" was supposed to be the correct answer, which the candidate eventually chose.
Mayotte is definitely wrong; it only has coasts adjacent to the Indian Ocean.

Edit: Now I know why you included France. However, France is a European country, and in the question they explicitly referred to African countries only.

I think France is at least arguably also an African, South American and Oceanian country, in addition to being a European country. After all, Turkey and Russia are both European countries and Asian countries. The one way to distinguish it is that Mayotte is not on the mainland so not really part of Africa, although I think most people would consider Madagascar, Comoros and Seychelles to be African countries.

Edit: Or I guess you could say the question is really asking whether you have an Atlantic coast in Africa, which France does not have, even if France is an African country and has both an Atlantic coast (but outside of Africa) and an Indian Ocean coast (within Africa).

I think "one" is a totally fair answer, excluding the Mediterranean Sea from the Atlantic Ocean, but there are at least subtle assumptions involved such that the question is not precise enough to have a definitive answer, where they would have had to count both "two" and "three" as technically correct answers to this particular question also (but it didn't come to that because the candidate chose the answer they intended).
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »

I think "one" is a totally fair answer, excluding the Mediterranean Sea from the Atlantic Ocean, but there are at least subtle assumptions involved such that the question is not precise enough to have a definitive answer, where they would have had to count both "two" and "three" as technically correct answers to this particular question also (but it didn't come to that because the candidate chose the answer they intended).

But why should one exclude the Mediterranean Sea from the Atlantic Ocean?
Egypt must be one correct answer.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »

What an "ocean" is is not defined in any way other than by convention. It seems reasonable to me to say that the Mediterranean Sea is not part of any ocean or is its own ocean, at least as reasonable as to say that it is part of the Atlantic Ocean.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »

Both the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are marginal seas, and those aren't usually included in the oceans. in a quiz you should be asking about the conventional definition that normal people learn in school and have a chance to know, not some "technically correct" trickery.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »

What an "ocean" is is not defined in any way other than by convention. It seems reasonable to me to say that the Mediterranean Sea is not part of any ocean or is its own ocean, at least as reasonable as to say that it is part of the Atlantic Ocean.

What about the Red Sea? Do you consider it a part of the Indian Ocean?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »

Both the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are marginal seas, and those aren't usually included in the oceans. in a quiz you should be asking about the conventional definition that normal people learn in school and have a chance to know, not some "technically correct" trickery.

But we learned it that way at school! Tongue

The North Sea, the Bay of Biscay and the Caribbean Sea are marginal seas of the Atlantic Ocean.
The Baltic Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are inland seas of the same ocean.

The Red Sea is not a marginal sea, btw, but rather an inland sea, like the Persian Gulf is.

EPG
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »

All the relevant seas and oceans were conceptualised in opposition to each other by dead white-ish men 2500 years ago, with the only exception being that Herodotus thought maybe some guys had sailed from the Med to the Red Sea the wrong way.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »

What about the Red Sea? Do you consider it a part of the Indian Ocean?

Again, plausible either way. The Red Sea is somewhat more open to the Indian Ocean, as a percentage of its surface area, than the Mediterranean Sea is to the Atlantic Ocean, but it wouldn't be crazy to distinguish them both from their respective oceans, or even to distinguish one but not the other, because there is no agreed upon definition of "ocean" other than convention.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »

But we learned it that way at school! Tongue

The North Sea, the Bay of Biscay and the Caribbean Sea are marginal seas of the Atlantic Ocean.
The Baltic Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are inland seas of the same ocean.

The Red Sea is not a marginal sea, btw, but rather an inland sea, like the Persian Gulf is.

are you saying they teach you that the Med is part of the Atlantic Ocean?  That's weird, but if that's true, then the answer should be two if asked in Germany (or anywhere that teaches the Med is part of the Atl).

France can't be an answer because it's European not African.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

are you saying they teach you that the Med is part of the Atlantic Ocean?  That's weird, but if that's true, then the answer should be two if asked in Germany (or anywhere that teaches the Med is part of the Atl).

Well, the Wikimedia map I embedded shows the definition by the International Hydrographic Organization. Thus what we were taught at school couldn't be that wrong...
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »

2 - Britain and France since this is all their rightful territory.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 07:59:24 AM »

I think you'll find that Tanzania and Namibia should actually be German
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 05:07:23 AM »

Did you know that "Tanzania" is a portmanteau?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »

Did you know that "Tanzania" is a portmanteau?

Yes.

Tanganyika and Zanzibar.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 03:42:19 PM »

Hm, most of you seem to have a different opinion of the correct answer than me. Undecided
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

LOL what? The Mediterranean Sea is not part of the Atlantic. That's ridiculous.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

Do you consider it an ocean?
Maybe it is really a cultural thing.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »

Not really, as Wikipedia says: "Although the sea is sometimes considered a part of the Atlantic Ocean, it is usually identified as a separate body of water."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Sea

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies