Who are poople gonna blame for the shoutdown?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:24:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who are poople gonna blame for the shoutdown?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who are poople gonna blame for the shoutdown?  (Read 1861 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »

I think it will be on both sides
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:34:39 AM »

The other side, because everything is the scary other side's fault and nothing is my side's fault.
hunter gatherer
rascalking
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:10 AM »

honestly I think the democrats will get blamed for this. personally I really blame dick Durban/Donald trump for this whole thing. earlier this week trump sat down had a meeting the dems basically gave them everything they wanted on dacca provided that they fund his boarder wall. dick Durban for what ever reason leaked to the press that that trump made his famous sh**thole comment, and then for the whole next week all the press did was cover sh**tholegate and stormygate and dacca was basically forgotten about. I don't know what dick Durban thought he would accomplish by doing that
everyone already knows that trump is a racist and has the temperament of a little kid.

so predictably shumer went to trump saying will give you the boarder wall if you give us dacca and trump thew a hissy fit and didn't want to work with them. now the government is shut down and the democrats will get blamed for it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 01:49:25 AM »

First deplorables, now poople? Democratic arrogance.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 02:10:21 AM »

From early polling it looks like Republicans.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:30:47 AM »

None of the polls so far have included poople.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:48:01 AM »

The GOP of course. The GOP will always get blamed if there is any controversy.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:51:13 AM »

The GOP of course. The GOP will always get blamed if there is any controversy.

Usually because they're the ones to blame.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:41:03 AM »

"Discontent hurts only the party in power."-Elihu Root
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »

Have a feeling in my gut that the Republicans will keep pointing fingers and shifting the blame, and the Democrats will f--k up the messaging, so they'll suffer the consequences.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »

Have a feeling in my gut that the Republicans will keep pointing fingers and shifting the blame, and the Democrats will f--k up the messaging, so they'll suffer the consequences.

When has that happened in the last ten years though? Everything the GOP does is branded either a conspiratorial plot or a failure. The Dems can do basically whatever they want and not get bad press, aside from Fox of course.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »

When has that happened in the last ten years though? Everything the GOP does is branded either a conspiratorial plot or a failure. The Dems can do basically whatever they want and not get bad press, aside from Fox of course.

What? Dems get bad press in plenty of ways - Obamacare and its subsequent roll out, ISIS, Ebola (god knows why), Clinton emails, some news sites are putting dems for blame in the shutdown, etc.

Just because it's the press you don't want doesn't mean dems never get bad press lmao.

God I wish the Republican base was less dense so I could rejoin the party. Unfort they're going to keep nominating terrible people because of their weird persecution complex.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »

The other side, because everything is the scary other side's fault and nothing is my side's fault.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »

Democrats caused the shutdown, they shut down the government over DACA. So they will get the blame
Hydera

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »

Democrats caused the shutdown, they shut down the government over DACA. So they will get the blame

People said the shutdown wont be a big deal because the GOP rebounded in 2014 and won. Whn prior to November the stories about Obamacare rollout made people forget about the shutdown plus enthusiasm went up for the republicans prior to the election because they were the party not in the White House.

Then if you remember the 1995 Shutdown rather than helping the GOP, that along with the Oklahoma city bombing events made Clinton's popularity revive for him to win in 1996.

I fear that if the shutdown lasts longer then it will be '1996' for Trump instead of '2014'.

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »

As a party, we're talented at f-king up messaging, so I'm fearful/predicting this will happen. Republicans are already starting their "Democrats shut the government down over illegal immigrants" messaging.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »

GOP of course, which bodes for the Dems chances in 2018
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 11:09:11 PM »

I think over time the blame will shift to Democrats, since they literally are saying they did this for DACA.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »

Polls indicate that a significant amount of people will blame the Republicans.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 11:57:19 PM »

Honestly, nothing will wash away the fact that the vast majority of Americans hate Donald Trump and that the shutdown happened under his party, which controls all three branches of government. The blame will stay on them.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 12:55:02 AM »

Changed my mind.

1. It's easier for Ds to make their case than Rs. Rs have to explain the filibuster and how they couldnt just pass a bill even if they have a trifecta. If people understood the filibuster more, 2010 would have been better for Democrats.

2. We had a DACA deal. It was a bipartisan compromise. Then Trump blew it up with his sh*thole countries comment. Therefore the blame for the shutdown rests on Trump's shoulders.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 01:04:20 AM »

Is that what you call people who are from sh!thole countries?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 01:08:38 AM »

I'm sure it has been said before, but a lesson to draw from 2013 is that its effects will probably be overshadowed by some new drama relatively soon after it ends - especially since the Trump presidency is far more volatile, fast-paced and negative than the Obama presidency. I mean, even if it ends up blowing back on Democrats, it's highly likely that by April or May, people will have long forgotten as they are too busy being distracted by some new scandal and/or indictments from Mueller.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2018, 08:24:13 AM by Arkansas Yankee »

It seems that the AP, NYT, AND WP did not receive the Democrat playbook with talking points. They each stated the Democrats caused the shutdown. On the Senate floor McCoonell phrased it that the “AP had pinned the tail on the donkey.”

https://www.redstate.com/bradslager/2018/01/20/gop-not-scorched-entirely-government-shutdown/

It would seem obvious that those who voted against the resolution keeping the government open should be blamed for the shutdown.  The contorted argument that the GOP was responsible since it controls the Executive and Congress is pure sophistry.  You all know the GOP did not control the necessary 60 votes in the Senate.

I was honest when I blamed the GOP for the previous shutdowns.  I made calls to urge them not to do it.  Some of you need to develop backbones, drop the hypocrisy, and tell your Democrat Senators to open the government back up.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies