Is it wrong to dislike kids?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:44:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is it wrong to dislike kids?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, children are the future you terrible misanthrope

No, kids are dumb and obnoxious and act like drunk little adults

Other opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Is it wrong to dislike kids?  (Read 1490 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »

Discuss.

As an antinatalist and someone who tries to look away from small children and even finds babies gross-looking (call it a character flaw if you wish), I gotta vote option 2.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »

as a parent of four I can tell you that option 2 is the correct answer.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:26:03 AM »

I'm not an antinatalist but I don't particularly like small children and don't want any of my own. I would possibly consider adopting a slightly older (perhaps ~4 or 5 yo) child once I have a good job and a partner but that's so far in the future. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So no, it's not wrong to dislike kids.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 01:33:29 AM »

what is antinatalism? a quick google search seems like it doesnt make any sense.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 02:41:17 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2018, 02:49:21 AM by Scott🌲 »

what is antinatalism? a quick google search seems like it doesnt make any sense.

Read this.

(As a side, I personally wouldn't consider myself a 'hard' antinatalist because there is a point where antinatalism and Christianity become completely irreconcilable, but I find the arguments for it compelling nonetheless.)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 02:47:12 AM »

Basically it's a philosophical position that it's preferable to never have existed, and thus bringing somebody into the world is causing them harm, and is therefore unethical. The gist of it is that any life is guaranteed to have some positive and negative experiences, while never living denies one neither. Since a person can't miss a positive experience they've never had, the argument goes, you can only count the negatives, and so never having been born is always preferable.

There are also some people who argue the position from an environmental standpoint, but that's stupid.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »

Antinatalism is evil, and I say it's wrong to dislike children as a principle (but it's perfectly reasonable to be irritated by children of course)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »

Antinatalism is evil, and I say it's wrong to dislike children as a principle (but it's perfectly reasonable to be irritated by children of course)

Care to explain why antinatalism is "evil?"  Or at least make an argument against it?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2018, 07:28:33 PM by Cath »

Care to explain why antinatalism is "evil?"  Or at least make an argument against it?

(I’m going by SWE’s definition here) My mind always goes back to what I call the “existential” argument on this: that I’m a choice between life and death, where that thing considering the options is only in said position because they are alive, the choice is obvious. The “joke on the human race” argument, while perhaps entertaining and good fodder for a certain television show, is in its realization horrific. If you truly despise what you are enough—and that is a living thing—that is a sign of (and I won’t say “sickness” primarily because of my audience) something pretty dark. Fear of overpopulation? That’s something we can discuss in material and empirical terms. Disgust with life—and hatred for children as a class? I don’t know what to say that wouldn’t sound deeply personal.

I realized after I posted this that I missed my main point: if you disavow all morality or attempts at meaning in life as mere superstition, you arrive at a single binary where life is the only positive.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »

If you have them.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »

Care to explain why antinatalism is "evil?"  Or at least make an argument against it?

(I’m going by SWE’s definition here) My mind always goes back to what I call the “existential” argument on this: that I’m a choice between life and death, where that thing considering the options is only in said position because they are alive, the choice is obvious. The “joke on the human race” argument, while perhaps entertaining and good fodder for a certain television show, is in its realization horrific. If you truly despise what you are enough—and that is a living thing—that is a sign of (and I won’t say “sickness” primarily because of my audience) something pretty dark. Fear of overpopulation? That’s something we can discuss in material and empirical terms. Disgust with life—and hatred for children as a class? I don’t know what to say that wouldn’t sound deeply personal.

I realized after I posted this that I missed my main point: if you disavow all morality or attempts at meaning in life as mere superstition, you arrive at a single binary where life is the only positive.

That's not antinatalism, though.  That's nihilism.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:01 PM »

That's not antinatalism, though.  That's nihilism.

They're pretty hard to tell apart.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »

If adults continue to use the maturity card, they actually need to possess the maturity card - something the vast majority are lacking. Good try though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »

Yes, I believe it is somewhat wrong to "dislike all kids."
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »

It might be useful here to draw a distinction between entirely personal preferences, and what makes for good public policy.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »

I am often annoyed by kids, but then again my intense introversion leads me to be annoyed in the presence of people in general (especially ones who act irrationally and energetic without regard to me--which is the standard setting for small children).

I don't "dislike all kids" and find babies adorable, but I can very much see where you're coming from. And I don't think there's anything morally wrong with the stance.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »

No. I don't really like young kids (past baby stage until kindergarten or so) and wouldn't want to have any of my own.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »

As an antinatalist and someone who tries to look away from small children and even finds babies gross-looking (call it a character flaw if you wish), I gotta vote option 2.
Ow the edge
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »

To dislike their presence and seek to avoid them, no. To dislike them as a class and oppose their interests, yes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »

Is it wrong to dislike adults? Just Jewish children?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »

No, kids are gross little monsters who make me cry.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »

If I were to encounter a kid which is half as terrible as I were at this age, I'd probably jump from the top floor.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

To dislike their presence and seek to avoid them, no. To dislike them as a class and oppose their interests, yes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYOHzAAwaW4
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom