If you were rich, would you honestly use it to help people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  If you were rich, would you honestly use it to help people?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If you were rich, would you honestly use it to help people?  (Read 6297 times)
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »

Considering that most people who get very rich do so by being inventive, innovative, or particularly effective at what they do, they have already helped people in the process.

I don't buy the whole idea of the rich needing to "give-back" to society. Often, they're the ones creating the jobs, paying the workers, and making society better off.

This is not some attempt to just brown-nose the rich. Obviously some people acquire wealth through immoral or unlawful means, but overall, the beautiful thing about capitalism is that one person's gain doesn't have to be another person's loss.

This is inherently false, because no one gets something for nothing, somebody pays the price and looses something.

Created jobs? What's the quality of those jobs?

Paying the workers? Is it enough for workers to even afford the merch, let alone living?

And is society really better off if people are so overworked and lacking in mobility to turn other sectors of the economy?

At least if things were given back to those lower, one could alleviate these issues.

I unequivocally disagree. When people engage in the free market system, they're not all fighting for the same scraps of the economic pie; the pie itself gets bigger.  I'm not sure what you mean by quality of jobs, but if someone starts a new service or industry and people willingly choose to be employed within said service/industry, that means those jobs are what those individuals consider their best option and thus are quality.

If you're concerned of over-working and inadequate pay, then you should want to see even more entrepreneurship and free enterprise, as new products and services make our lives easier and raise wages as workers become more productive.

We see evidence of this in the fact that in the 1800s, the average American adult worked nearly 70 hours a week in laborious agro-jobs, and as industrialism and merchant capitalism rose, the average work week fell to now being around 40.

https://eh.net/encyclopedia/hours-of-work-in-u-s-history/
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »

I literally have no use for more than, say, 5 millions so yes, I'm pretty sure I'd put at least 95% of it to some kind of altruistic use.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »

Considering that most people who get very rich do so by being inventive, innovative, or particularly effective at what they do, they have already helped people in the process.

I don't buy the whole idea of the rich needing to "give-back" to society. Often, they're the ones creating the jobs, paying the workers, and making society better off.

This is not some attempt to just brown-nose the rich. Obviously some people acquire wealth through immoral or unlawful means, but overall, the beautiful thing about capitalism is that one person's gain doesn't have to be another person's loss.

This is inherently false, because no one gets something for nothing, somebody pays the price and looses something.

Lolwut? That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. Wealth isn't a fixed pie to be divided up. It can grow with economic activity.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »

I stand by the what I said in an argument I had with my aunt and uncle when I was 9. 
Aunt and Uncle: The purpose of money is to help people
Me: The purpose of money is to make more money
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »

I stand by the what I said in an argument I had with my aunt and uncle when I was 9. 

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »

Reminds me of an argument I had with my mom at age 5:

TJ: I think everyone should get paid the amount.
TJ's Mom: But some people work harder then others and no one would have a reason to if everyone got paid the same.
TJ: Who works just for the money?!
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 12:45:32 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2018, 12:50:08 AM by Cynthia »

I'd donate a portion, but definitely not all of it. If I get 100M out of nowhere I'd put probably 20M in RE and lease them out as affordable units, open a hotel with 20M, put 40M in hedge funds, donate 10M to those who cannot afford housing and medical care and spend 10M for the rest of my life.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2018, 09:49:44 AM by Cory Booker »

Yes, but entertainment industry based everything on looks and glamour, they forget about where they come from and help others who are like them. Like athletes not going to inner city schools like in 80's and 90's and go to suburbs where ball camps are played at, today
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:02 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2018, 12:04:31 PM by Celes »

I'd probably donate a certain percentage of my wealth to causes I thought would help people or that I cared about and not really think about it much beyond that. It's difficult to quantify considering where I am financially now, but the percentage would be progressive based on my income level.

Campaigns, religious organizations, outright charities. I'd probably start a 501(c)4 if I were truly wealthy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »

My wealth belongs to alma mater. My duty in life is to bring the bacon home to her.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »

Sure. It will trickle down Smiley
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 12:17:56 PM »

I would give away at least 30% of my wealth if I had $100 million dollars.

Then with the rest - I would save, invest and spend it on my self and family.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »

End of the day it doesn't really matter as philanthropy is never, can never, be an effective way to address inequality. So sure,I would give some away to feel good about myself, but assuming my priority was redistribution and  addressing inequality, I would be far better served using it to try and influence public politics than in giving it to charity.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »

I am supporting many worthy causes in my home town, including the local library, on which I am now on the board of directors. I hope to do more as time goes on. It gives me great personal pleasure that I am able to do this. In that sense, I am receiving far more, than I am giving out.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 10:53:46 PM »

I'd give nothing to charity for 20-30 maybe 40 years, grow this into hopefully like 4 billion dollars and then give 3.5 billion to charity and live out my life on a yacht. Die at the age of 110 by being shot in the back by a jealous husband.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 01:33:33 AM »

I would probably split it roughly evenly between charity and reinvestment, keeping a chunk of a couple mil for my own use. I’d do the same with whatever I made on the reinvestment
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 04:20:08 AM »

I'd set up an econmically moderate, socially liberal party and run for chancellor and pursue policies that benefit everyone.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies