Porce News Network: October 2005
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:40:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Porce News Network: October 2005
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Porce News Network: October 2005  (Read 17727 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2005, 05:05:11 AM »

October 4, 2005

Interview with Senator True Democrat
Ebowed News Network interviews Pacific Regional Senator True Democrat, who is running for re-election against Hughento this month as a member of the Constitutional Union Party.

Ebowed:  Senator True Democrat, thank you for joining me today.  My first question is, why do you believe the Pacific should elect you to the Senate this October?

True Democrat:  I believe I best represent the Pacific's interests.  The Pacific needs a Senator who gives them the freedom to control both their personal and economic lives.  The citizens of the Pacific are smart enough to make decisions for themselves.  The government should only act as a guide and protector for the peole.  Furthermore, I am as active as any Senator and will continue to be.

Ebowed:  Your opponent, Hughento, is also libertarian leaning on social and economic issues.  Why do you think you better represent the Pacific?

True Democrat:  I am not one to attack my opponent, so I will instead talk about why I can best represent the Pacific.  As I said earlier, I believe I will be the most active of the two choices.  I can also work extremely well with the citizens of the Pacific and people from both sides of the aisle in the Senate,  Finally, the Pacific needs someone who is committed to balancing the budget and increasing the security of our nation.  I believe I am the best choice to do this, as is shown by my continual tries to balance the budget through social security reform.  This also shows I am working for the longterm, which is an essential part of holding any elected office.  My bills such as the Military Enlargment Bill show that I will not let Atlasia fall to the terrorists.  I will stand up to the evils in this world.

Ebowed:  What is one positive quality about your opponent?

True Democrat:  My opponent is never harsh and never becomes too angry at his opponents.  Like myself, he never blatantly attacks his opponent.  Finally, he willing to speak with citizens of the Pacifc and myself (through a debate).

Ebowed:  How would you sum up your views on foreign policy?  Do you plan on introducing more foreign policy related legislation?

True Democrat:  I will take the first question first.  Frankly, I am a foreign policy hawk, and I am not afraid to admit that.  I completely agree with the War in Iraq because of the stability and freedoms it brings to the people.  Any person who truly cares about personal freedoms would support this war becuase we should not just try to protect our own freedoms, but freedoms of every person around the globe.  I believe we should not necessarily increase military funding, but instead make our military smarter.  We need to move away from the Soviet era style of funding and instead fund more special forces units and other actions to fight terrorism.  As for your second question:  Yes.  I do plan on introducing more foreign policy legislation to help strengthen the military and encourage freedom around the world.

Ebowed:  Some of your recent legislation on forum affairs has met opposition.  What would you say is your basic belief on forum affairs, and how could things be better handled by the current Department of Forum Affairs in your opinion?

True Democrat:  I believe the purpose of the Department of Forum Affiars is to keep the voter registration list updated, run federal elections, and inform the public on elecction law and who is running for federal office.  Things could be better handled by the Department of Forum Affairs if they informed the public more often of election laws and keep an updated list of candidates running for federal office.  Although this has met opposition in the Senate, I believe this will help the citizens of Atlasia make a better informed decision when voting time comes around because they will have ample time to get to know the candidates.

Ebowed:  The sudden and unexplained disappearance of FuturePrez eventually led to an expulsion;  what do you think should happen to him if he ever returns?

True Democrat:  I believe he should first prove himself as an active citizen and then be invited back into Atlasia.  We should try to encourage people to join Atlasia, not shy people away.

Ebowed:  The Pacific seems to be having activity problems lately, what with sudden disappearances or resignations of people like FuturePrez, Immy, Bob, and Mr. Hobbes.  How should the Pacific combat these problems?

True Democrat:  I do not believe there is any way for the Pacific to really help in this regard.  It is the personal choice of every citizen to be active or not be active in Atlasia.  The citizens of the Pacific are certainly welcoming to other citizens, so there is really not that much the Pacific can do about it.

Ebowed:  From your record in the Senate so far, what legislative accomplishment are you proudest of?

True Democrat:  I am proudest of the Social Reform I have put through the Senate in the form of the Reforming Social Security Act.  I believe this will save social security for future generations while at the same time giving citizens choice in how to plan their retirement.

Ebowed:  What is your position on the CAFTA bill currently on the Senate floor?

True Democrat:  I fully support CAFTA, as I do most free trade initiatives.  I believe CAFTA will open our ports, allowing more trade between ourselves and Central America.  This will not only provide more jobs for our people here at home, but also increase the standard of living for those nations in Central America.

Ebowed:  What do you believe is the best way to encourage more newbies to get involved in Atlasia?

True Democrat:  Well, I believe we are already doing our best.  By welcoming people in the Registration thread, explaining how Atlasia works, and what parties there are, we can continue to welcome new people.  One thing Atlasians could improve on is that when new peoople run for office, we should not tell that they shouldn't run just because they are new.  We should honestly listen to their ideas just like any other politician.

Ebowed:  What is your greatest concern for the Pacific?

True Democrat:  First of all, I woud like to state that the Pacific is already in great shape because of great leadership shown by Governor Ford.  The greatest concern for the Pacific is its economy.  The entire nation is coming out a recession, including the Pacific.  We must continue to balance our budget and encourage businesses to grow and create new well-paying jobs.

Ebowed:  Do you support the minimum wage?

True Democrat:  I do support the minimum wage.  I believe a constitutional amendment is needed for the minimum wage to be allowed.  A national minimum wage should be instuted, but each region should also create their own mimimum wage because regions can more easily manage their economies.

Ebowed:  Who do you think you will support in the Presidential race?

True Democrat:  Although I have not publicly announced, I am throwing my support completely behind the Joe Republic/Defarge campaign.  Joe will make an excellent president through his active leadership, great ability to reach to out to both sides of the aisle, and his knowledge of the issues.

Ebowed:  Thank you for your time, Senator, and good luck in the election.

True Democrat:  Thank you for inviting me to this interview, and I will continue to look forward to spirited debates in the Senate.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2005, 07:18:49 AM »

October 4, 2005

Interview with Senate Candidate Hughento
Ebowed News Network interviews former Senator and current Senate Candidate Hughento, who is running against True Democrat for the Pacific Regional Seat.

Ebowed:  Former Senator Hughento, thank you for joining me today.

hugh:  Thanks for having me, mate.

Ebowed:  Why do you consider yourself to be the best candidate to serve the Pacific Region in this election?

hugh:  I'm a known quantity.  People know what I stand for--politically and morally--and they know that next week, it'll be the same.  That's not to say I don't change my views sometimes; occasionally everyone is wrong.  But people know me; they've known me for a long time.  They know what I am capable of, they know that I'll always be honest with them, and they know that I have a genuine interest in improving Atlasia, for Pacificans and all Atlasians.

Ebowed:  What sort of legislation do you see yourself sponsoring if elected?

hugh:  I have a firm belief in equality of opportunity, although not outcome; so I will support 'left wing' social policy.  I am an economic moderate; I believe that people and businesses should have economic freedom as a basis, but that there is also importance in some leftist economics.  I will address each issue as it comes, not using prejudice, yet from the eye of the Pacific and myself, as the elected representative.

Ebowed:  You are running as an Independent.  Will you seek the endorsement of any parties?  (Editor's note:  Hugh has been endorsed by the Social Democratic Party already.)

hugh:  Actively, no; but if I am endorsed, I will thank any party that sees fit to endorse me.  That said, I will feel no obligation to any party that endorses me, as I haven't in my previous terms in office as an Independent.  On that note, I am grateful to the SDP for its endorsement, and would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of that party.

Ebowed:  What is your opinion on the use of the filibuster in the Senate?

hugh:  People elect Senators to represent their interests.  If they vote for a Senator who will be in the minority, one effective way for them to represent their voters is to filibuster.  Do I approve of it as a first course of action?  Of course not.  But I have no problem with its occasional use.

Ebowed:  What is one positive quality about your opponent?

hugh:  He's an eager politician, and as experienced as myself in Atlasian politics.

Ebowed:  The Pacific is currently having severe problems with inactivity.  Many valuable citizens such as Immy, Bob, and Mr. Hobbes have left or disappeared.  How do you think the Pacific should combat these problems?

hugh:  "The Pacific" can't do anything.  But its elected representatives can keep in touch with their positions.  It is my view that if elected officials disappear without reason, it was a mistake voting for them.  I have made that mistake before; it is an easy one to make.  But I promise the voters I will never 'disappear'--I've been on the forum for two years now!

Ebowed:  You have served in the Senate previously.  What accomplishments are you most proud of from your time in the Senate?

hugh:  I am most proud of my sucessful "Death Penalty Abolition Act", although it is no longer in place.  That was a bill that I believed very firmly in, and it was not easy to get the support of my fellow Senators.  But with diligence, debate and a helluva lot of conviction, I was able to get it passed.

Ebowed:  How would you, as a Senator, respond to foreign policy issues that would come before the Senate?

hugh:  I am not a hawk, but I am not a dove.  I hate those terms.  My foreign policy concerns are 1) How does this bill benefit Atlasia and further it's National Interest? 2) How could this potentially harm Atlasia and it's National Interest? and 3) How will this effect the rest of the world?

I aim for the there to be lots of points under 1), few or none under 2), and predominently positive ones under 3).

Ebowed:  Do you think we should employ a more isolationist policy?

hugh:  "A week is a long time in politics" is a very true statement, and was dealing with only one nation.  With about 200 countries in the world, an hour is a long time in international geopolitics.  There is no 'yes' or 'no' answer to that.  In some areas, perhaps yes--I'm not sure that Atlasia should be so involved with Europe militarily.  In some areas, isolationism would be very negative; we should expand trade links, especially with friendly nations like Australia, India, and Thailand.  There's just no clear answer to that question, and anyone who gives one needs to think about foreign policy more closely.

Ebowed:  What is your opinion on counterbalancing civil liberties at times of emergency or war?

hugh:  I don't like it at all.  I really, really don't like it.  But I can see the reason for some of it.  I do NOT support a national ID card, for example; but I think it's reasonable to keep records of people who buy 100 tonnes of C4.  We do need some government 'interference' for the good of the community; but the government can't be allowed to infringe too much--because once the emergency/war is over; they'll rarely give the rights back.

Ebowed:  There are many important issues facing the Senate today, such as increasing the salary for Atlasian soldiers, banning the importation and exportation of asbestos throughout Atlasia, and of course CAFTA.  How do you think you would vote on some of the bills before the Senate currently?

hugh:  I would support increasing the salary of Atlasian servicemen serving abroad, and full-time soldiers currently within Atlasia.

I am unsure on CAFTA. I generally support free trade, but this bill just doesn't sit right with me. At present, I'd probably abstain, but I could be convinced to vote in favour more easily then against

I support a ban on asbestos transportation (except removal, obviously).

Ebowed:  What do you mean by "except removal, obviously"?

hugh:  Well, when asbestos is removed from buildings currently using it, it needs to be transported to secure locations.  That is a necessary exception.

Ebowed:  What is your greatest concern for the Pacific?

hugh:  That it will be ignored.  Have a look at the Presidential candidates--how many come from the Pacific?  Only one, and he is not expected to win.  The Pacific has had the best Senators, historically, of any region, although this did falter recently.  We have had two great Governors in Wildcard and now John Ford.  We've shown we have the depth and the best of Atlasia, but we are often ignored at the federal level. If elected, I hope to fix that situation.

Ebowed:  Who do you believe you will support in the Presidential race?

hugh:  I'm undecided.  I could vote for any of the candidates, except probably Mike Naso.  At present, it seems to be between Joe Republic, Supersoulty and LiberalPA, although Emsworth still has a chance at my vote.

Ebowed:  Do you support a minimum wage?

hugh:  I do, but it is at present a regional responsibility.  Whilst I would like all regions to inact a reasonable minimum wage, it is important for the Pacific to do so now, rather than wait for a constitutional amendment or other federal action.  I will vote in favour of any reasonable minimum wage proposal in the Pacific Legislature.

Ebowed:  How did you feel about the disappearance of FuturePrez, and subsequent appointment of True Democrat to the Senate?

hugh:  I was disappointed in FuturePrez, and pleased that True Democrat took office, as I initially voted for him.  I think it was the appropriate course of action for the Governor to appoint the runner-up in such a tight election.

Ebowed:  Thank you for your time today, Hugh, and good luck in the election this month.

hugh:  No; thank you. It's been a pleasure.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2005, 08:40:43 AM »

October 5, 2005

October 2005 DemoChoice Presidential Poll #1
A Ebowed News Network DemoChoice poll that was open between October 1st and October 5th, 2005.  52 ballots were cast.

Round 1
Dubya (ACA-TX)/htmldon (CU-TN) - 13
Joe Republic (I-OH)/Defarge (IL-NY) - 11
Emsworth (IL-NV)/Q (CU-GA) - 10
Supersoulty (CD-VA)/Frodo (CD-VA) - 7
LiberalPA (SD-PA)/skybridge (I-MI) - 5
Mike Naso (ACA-OH)/Write-in VP - 3
StatesRights (SR-FL)/Write-in VP - 3

Round 2
Dubya (ACA-TX)/htmldon (CU-TN) - 14
Emsworth (IL-NV)/Q (CU-GA) - 11
Supersoulty (CD-PA)/Frodo (CD-VA) - 7
LiberalPA (SD-PA)/skybridge (I-MI) - 5
Mike Naso (ACA-OH)/Write-in VP - 4

Round 3
Dubya (ACA-TX)/htmldon (CU-TN) - 15
Emsworth (IL-NV)/Q (CU-GA) - 11
Supersoulty (CD-PA)/Frodo (CD-VA) - 8
LiberalPA (SD-PA)/skybridge (I-MI) - 7

Round 4
Joe Republic (I-OH)/Defarge (IL-NY) - 17
Emsworth (IL-NV)/Q (CU-GA) - 12
Supersoulty (CD-PA)/Frodo (CD-VA) - 8

Round 5
Joe Republic (I-OH)/Defarge (IL-NY) - 21
Emsworth (IL-NV)/Q (CU-GA) - 14
None of these - 2

Round 6
Joe Republic (I-OH)/Defarge (IL-NY) - 27 (60.0%)
Dubya (ACA-TX)/htmldon (CU-TN) - 18 (40.0%)
None of these - 7
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2005, 10:11:53 AM »

Well at least it comes down to my first and second preferences in the end. Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2005, 02:22:14 PM »

Cool! my poll numbers are on the rise.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2005, 02:34:35 PM »

Running two votes ahead of Mike Naso and StatesRights is nothing to be proud of, imo.  Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2005, 02:37:26 PM »

Running two votes ahead of Mike Naso and StatesRights is nothing to be proud of, imo.  Tongue
better than last polling round % wise. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2005, 09:49:56 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2005, 01:02:15 AM by Senator Porce »

October 5, 2005

Pacific Vote on Minimum Wage Act
Yea: 5
Nay: 3
Abstain: 0

Detailed Voting Results
True Democrat (WA) voted Yea.
hughento (OR) voted Yea.
jfern (CA) voted Yea.
Gabu (UT) voted Yea.
Jesus (WA) voted Nay.
WMS (NM) voted Yea.
Alcon (WA) voted Nay.
AkSaber (AK) voted Nay.

Declared passed by Governor John Ford on 10/12/05.

The original booth can be accessed here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2005, 01:57:08 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2005, 02:03:45 AM by Senator Porce »

October 6, 2005

News Bite:  Jesus Announces Presidential Candidacy
Seattle, WA-- Jesus has just announced his candidacy for President, making him the eighth candidate currently running for the office this month.  Jesus ran without a running mate in June 2005.  It is likely that he will once again run without a vice presidential candidate; it is not known if the Department of Forum Affairs as headed by Secretary Ilikeverin will count tickets without a vice presidential candidate as valid, as the last Secretary did.  If Secretary Ilikeverin does not, three presidential candidates may not wind up on the ballot (Jesus, StatesRights, Mike Naso), unless they find running mates-- and quickly.

Meanwhile the Senate races are heating up, with Akno21 announcing his candidacy yesterday for the Mideast Senate seat currently held by MasterJedi, who is running for re-election.  The Pacific and Southeast Senatorial elections will also be tight races to watch in the coming weeks.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2005, 06:58:08 AM »

It is likely that he will once again run without a vice presidential candidate; it is not known if the Department of Forum Affairs as headed by Secretary Ilikeverin will count tickets without a vice presidential candidate as valid, as the last Secretary did.

Precedent is my friend (?!?) so I'll follow precedent in this case.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2005, 06:28:20 PM by Senator Porce »

October 6, 2005

A Northeast Pre-Election Analysis
Philadelphia, PA-- Our first poll showed Keystone Phil and King winning the Northeast Gubernatorial race by a healthy margin.  Our second poll showed EarlAW and Casey with a slim two-vote lead.  Whether or not the actual election will turn out that tight remains to be seen.

Many were disappointed with the choices in the race, while some were pleased with both and had a hard time deciding.  After an uneventful debate and a series of townhalls and ads, it's possible that this race just might come down to ideology.

If it does, that's not good news for Keystone Phil.  The Northeast Region already has more liberal voters than conservative ones, and adding insult to injury is that two prominent conservatives in the Northeast, J.J. and Andrew Berger, both left Fantasy Politics.

But things aren't all bad for the Keystone Phil/King ticket.  Boss Tweed, a former candidate who dropped out once he could not find a running mate, endorsed Keystone Phil because Earl was running for two offices at the same time.  Although Earl dropped out of those runs to better focus on the gubernatorial race, Boss Tweed never retracted the endorsement.

And some voters might be upset with Earl's recent abstentions on such important issues like the Northeast Minimum Wage Act and the ratification of the Lowering Registration Post Count Requirement Amendment.  If I may, I'd like to express my extreme dismay that opposition to the minimum wage has become an issue to attack the presidential candidate I support-- and in the Northeast, neither of the gubernatorial candidates seem to support the minimum wage act (nor did the lieutenant gubernatorial candidates).  Is something wrong with the Northeast?  People have lost crucial personal endorsements over this issue, but in the Northeast, a proposed minimum wage was voted down!

A high point of Earl's campaign, however, has been the ads.  Although some using a dial-up connection may have had problems (the ad files were 4 MB and 13 MB respectively), these short video ads were relatively well-done, and the first one was particularly effective.  Earl's promise to create a regional Secretary of the Treasury in the Northeast has also been one of the best points in his campaign.

Some voters might not be pleased with Keystone Phil's propensity to attack the MAS117 administration as a substitute for focusing on EarlAW more.  Nobody can deny that Earl has been a really effective Lieutenant Governor for the region.  Others may not be pleased with Earl's continued tirade against Phil's promised "conservative values," which, honestly, aren't even that far-right.  Phil has shown an ability to compromise on the issue of education, for example.

Regardless of all these points, Northeast residents are encouraged by the network to vote early.  Polls open in less than five hours, and we will be providing up-to-date live coverage of the results as they come in.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:25 PM »

Well Done article Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »

OH... Sad

Anybody wanna be my VP?? Cheesy

We'll win, I can feel it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2005, 10:55:55 PM »

October 6, 2005

Statement from Lieutenant Gubernatorial Candidate King
Boston, MA-- Former Senator, Former President Pro Tempore, and Northeast Lieutenant Gubernatorial Candidate King gives us a pre-election statement.

"With the vote just minutes away, I have chosen to prepare a quick statement to the constituency regarding my candidacy for Lieutenant Governor.

I will be the first to say I am disappointed with the lack of interest by the voters for the future of the office.  The Lieutenant Governor is a strong voice who requires strong leadership in the Northeast who presides over the legislature and pushes the agenda of the administration.

I ask that the people of the Northeast elect Keystone Phil and I so we can start enjoying this region and everything it has to offer.  Four months from now, I want us to be proud of this region, which currently sits in the dark.  It is time we begin the process of building a Constitution that is not prone to the abusive tactics of the authority and a smart spending plan to give this region the resource to not only stay alive, but enjoy living.

I wish my opponents the best of luck this weekend and I would like to make in known that, regardless of the outcome, I will continue to work for and hope for a bright future for the Northeast and all that rely on it."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2005, 10:56:52 PM »

OH... Sad

If I lose the election in the Northeast, I'll be your VP just for the fun of it. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2005, 11:00:06 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2005, 01:02:13 AM by Senator Porce »

October 7, 2005

Northeast Gubernatorial/Lt. Gubernatorial Election
Conducted with FPTP voting.

EarlAW (SD-NY)/Max Power (CU-PA) - 12
Keystone Phil (ACA-PA)/King (CU-MA) - 11
Write-in: King (CU-MA)/Max Power (CU-PA) - 1
Write-in: Keystone Phil (ACA-PA)/Max Power (CU-PA) - 1
Invalid - 1

Detailed Voting Results
Keystone Phil (PA) voted for KP/K.
King (MA) voted for KP/K.
MAS117 (NJ) voted for E/CR.
EarlAW (NY) voted E/CR.
danwxman (PA) voted E/CR.
Flyers2006 (PA) voted E/CR.
Smash255 (NY) voted E/CR.
Max Power (PA) voted E/CR.
Old Europe (NY) voted E/CR.
KEmperor (NY) voted K/CR (WI).
Supersoulty (PA) voted KP/K.
nini2287 (PA) voted E/CR.
LiberalPA (PA) voted E/CR.
Hitchabrut (NJ) voted KP/K.
Boss Tweed (NY) voted KP/K.
FezzyFestoon (NJ) voted KP/K.
Siege40 (VT) voted E/CR.
Defarge (NY) voted E/CR.
Ted Stevens (PA) voted KP/K.
Kevin (PA) voted KP/K.
Colin Wixted (PA) voted KP/K.
dazzleman (CT) voted KP/K.
TexasGurl (NH) voted E/CR.
Bullmoose88 (PA) voted KP/CR (WI).
Cashcow (DE) voted KP/K.

Invalid Votes
Winfield (RI) voted KP/K, but he is no longer registered, and therefore the vote does not count.

The ticket of EarlAW/Max Power wins the election, as certified by Governor MAS117.

The original booth can be accessed here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2005, 01:09:36 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2005, 03:59:17 AM by Senator Porce »

October 7, 2005

Interview with Governor MAS117
Ebowed News Network interviews outgoing Northeast Governor MAS117, who is a former Senator and Supreme Court Associate Justice.

Ebowed:  Mr. Governor, thank you for joining me today.

Governor MAS117:  Thanks for having me Senator.

Ebowed:  You, of course, support your Lieutenant Governor in this week's election, in which voting is open right now.  Why do you support Earl/Casey over Phil/King?

Governor MAS117:  Earl Washburn has been a amazing Lieutenant Governor.  When I brought him onto the team as a virtual Atlasian newbie, I didn't know what to expect.  Now, after a few months, I've seen that he has what it takes to succeed me and become the next Governor.  His political philosophies are that of the Northeast.

Ebowed:  What accomplishment are you most proud of as Governor of the Northeast?

Governor MAS117:  I am most proud of the Northeastern National Guard Act, and the Northeastern Stem Cell Act of 2005.  The National Guard Act will provide free college to anyone who enlists for a minimum of one tour of duty.  I hope that the next adminstration will continue to add amendments.

Ebowed:  You have served Atlasia as a Supreme Court Justice, a Senator, and a Governor.  What have you learned from each of these offices?  What were your favorite accomplishments in them?

Governor MAS117:  When I was a member of the Atlasian Senate, I got many good bills passed including my Diplomatic Mission Act, which paved the way for future relations with foreign micronations.  However, as Governor I've taken a different approach to things.  Being Governor I had a chance to really instill the regional programs which needed to be done.

Ebowed:  Do you plan on running for any offices in the near future?

Governor MAS117:  Well Ebowed, that's in the air right now.  I have been in contact with a few candidates running for President about a possible cabinet level position within their respective adminstrations, however I'm not closing the doors on anything at the moment.  I have confidence that the next Governor, EarlAW will lead the Northeast to much success.

Ebowed:  Who do you plan on voting for in the Presidential and Northeast Senatorial elections this month?

Governor MAS117:  In the Senate election I believe that President Pro Tempore Senator Colin Wixted has been doing a great job.  I will again vote for his reelection.  In the Presidential race, as of now my endorsement for the Emsworth/Q ticket still stands with Supersoulty/Frodo in a close second, as well as Joe Republic who will receive my third perference.

Ebowed:  The Northeast Minimum Wage Act failed by a close margin last month-- why do you think the region rejected a minimum wage?

Governor MAS117:  I believe the measure was rejected beacuse people are not ready for that kind of major wage increase.  Staying true to small businesses and trying to increase the wages of hard working men and women are tough.  The current wages in the Northeast are way too low, and barely enough for someone to live on, let alone raise a family on.

Ebowed:  You have been criticized by some people-- most notably Gubernatorial candidate Keystone Phil and Atlasian Conservative Alliance Vice Chairman FezzyFestoon-- for being inept or incompetent.  What do you think of these claims?

Governor MAS117:  I think those claims are ridiculous.  Some claim that I have not "engaged" the voters to vote or debate.  That may be true, and I've tried hard to change my approach.  However, it's a two way street Ebowed.  People have to want to debate and have to want to be apart.  If the topic NORTHEAST BILL DEBATE isn't bold enough I don't know what is.  If members of the Northeast like Fezzy want to be active they are going to need more than a PM from me saying to vote.  As for Mr. Phil, he criticizes me for the lack of voter interaction.  However, I can't help it if the only time people come out to debate is around election time when they're running for something.

Ebowed:  Reflecting on your four months in office, what is one mistake you made?

Governor MAS117:  Hmm, another great question Senator.  I think that the one mistake I made was not giving a stronger defense for my adminstration when being attacked.  Again, like I said earlier it's a two way street when dealing with debates and votes.  If people actively want to particpate, they should need more then a PM from me telling them to vote.

Ebowed:  You recently voted in favor of legalizing euthanasia in your region-- where do you stand on other life issues such as abortion and capital punishment?

Governor MAS117:  On the abortion subject, I am very much in favor of a woman's right to choose.  However, with that comes responsibilty on the side of the woman to know when enough is enough.  That is why I am against partial birth abortion.  I am also for capital punishment or the death penalty.  It's my belief that some crimes are so disgusting that the criminal has therefore given up his rights to live by taking another.  You didn't ask about Stem Cell research but I'm very much in favor of that as well, hence the Northeastern Stem Cell Act of 2005.

Ebowed:  What do you think of the Lowering Registration Post Count Requirement Amendment?  Do you think that the fears of htmldon and his "Raise the Standards" coalition are legitimate?

Governor MAS117:  Yes, the points which are raised by Don are very much legitimate, however I think that this amendment should indeed pass.  The Republic is facing low turnout and hardly any new registrations.  We need to lower the count of posts one needs to register while at the same time continue to be on the lookout for trolls.

Ebowed:  What is your greatest concern for the Northeast?

Governor MAS117:  That the future adminstrations will destroy the work that my adminstration has worked so hard to pass.  Also, the new constitution should be a top priority in the new adminstration, and I fear that it isn't going to be taken heavily.

Ebowed:  What is your greatest concern for Atlasia as a whole?

Governor MAS117:  That great Atlasians will move on with their lives, moving away from the forum and the Republic, and that the nation will eventually die out.  Hopefully that will never happen.

Ebowed:  Thank you for your time today, Mr. Governor.

Governor MAS117:  Again, I'd like to thank the Ebowed News Network for its outstanding coverage of all regional events!  Thanks for having me Senator, I hope to talk to you again soon.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2005, 06:57:22 PM »

Think you can interview Jesus? That would be interesting. Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2005, 07:59:15 PM »

Any candidate that considers giving MAS a cabinet post should say so before hand so I can vote against you.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2005, 08:11:41 PM »

Any candidate that considers giving MAS a cabinet post should say so before hand so I can vote against you.
Well, I already listed my preferred cabinet in an interview with Ebowed, so it should be in this thread.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2005, 08:58:52 PM »

OH... Sad

Ask Mike Naso
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2005, 07:13:23 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2005, 07:23:54 PM by Senator Porce »

October 8, 2005

This Week in the Senate
Nyman, DC-- It was another busy week for the Senate, with the long-lasting filibuster on the Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill finally coming to an end, following the passage of an amendment that did away with the agreement and instead just lifted restrictions on American trade to Central American countries.  Voting on the final passage is occuring now.

The first environmental legislation considered in the Ninth Senate Session, the Forestry (Sustainable Development) Bill, was withdrawn by Senator Al following opposition from Southeast Governor Bono, Senator Ebowed, and Vice President Emsworth.  The looming threat of a Bono v. Atlasia III court case may have prompted the withdrawal.  Early on in the debate when such a possibility was brought up, Senator Al stated "I would hope that the Court refrains from any further attempts to legislate from the bench."  After a speech from Senator Ebowed that encouraged the Senate to explore whether or not the bill would be constitutional, Senator Al rebutted "It is not the job of the Senate to consider whether a bill is or is not unconstitutional.  That is the job of the Supreme Court.  So far the Supreme Court has not commented on this bill.  Vague threats of litigation should not impede the Senate in carrying out its role in government and if they do then the balance of power has clearly shifted too far."  The Vice President then stated "It is the sworn duty of every branch of the government to uphold the Constitution."

The debate ended with Al's withdrawal, where he stated:  "Seeing as this is just going to turn into yet another case of Bono suing over a bill he doesn't like and all that, I sadly withdraw this bill.  I do think it a little odd that the Senate apparently can't legislate for public interest reasons though; or at least can't without the treat of pointless lawsuits from someone who thinks that all government is evil anyway."

Following the withdrawal of the bill, Senator MasterJedi's Atlasian Symbols Bill came to the floor, meeting immediate opposition from Senator Ebowed.

"There are several problems with this bill and I frankly could not support it in its current form.  First of all, the bill provides for the creation of a National Bird symbol, a National Fish symbol, and a National Animal symbol.  Is it permissable to nominate another type of fish or bird in the "National Animal" category?  Why not call it the category National Mammal instead?  I must also comment on the extreme pointlessness of having a national fish-- a national fish-- it makes about as much sense as having a national arachnid or national frog.

Beyond that, there is a serious problem with Section 3 of this bill, which states that a Senator shall submit ten options for each symbol to the Department of Forum Affairs.  Ten options times ten Senators times six new categories is six hundred options that the Department will have to administer a vote on.  Can we expect the public to put up with such a daunting task of going through one-hundred options for six separate categories?  Can we not have some sort of remorse for the Department of Forum Affairs, whose job in this would be potentially hellish if there were some sort of tie or no clear majority in a preferential voting contest where there are one-hundred options for just one category?"

A compromise amendment was offered that reduced the number of categories from six to three, and would instead dictate the Senators to provide one option per category to the Department of Forum Affairs instead of ten.  Senator Ebowed supported the amendment; the bill passed with 8 yeas and 0 nays and was signed by President Siege40 today, October 8, 2005.

Meanwhile the Senate has been considering a bill that would abolish hate crime laws in Atlasia.  Senator Defarge was the only person to state any sort of outright opposition to the bill, claiming, "It appears I shall be the only one voting against this bill.  Pity."

An amendment to the bill that would ensure the government would keep extra data on hate crimes committed based on the victim's race then passed with 5 yeas, 2 nays, and 2 abstentions.  Following this was the introduction amendment to extend the federal keeping of extra data to include crimes committed because of the victim's sex or sexual orientation; a vote on the amendment is expected tomorrow.

Senator Q's Support for Atlasia's Soldiers Bill, which repeals the infamous Solomon Amendment and gives a salary raise to Atlasian soldiers, was also on the floor throughout the week, going through various amendment votes.  The only opposition came from Senator Gabu, who viewed it as an unnecessary pain on the already large deficit.  (The salary raise in the bill could cost the government more than $2 billion.)

Also reaching the floor today was the Asbestos Ban Bill, which appears to be supported by President Siege40.  Senator Al referred to the bill as a "simple public health measure" and urged its passage.  Governors Bono and CheeseWhiz, however, opposed the bill, and Senator Ebowed joined their opposition, calling the bill "authoritarian" and "fascist."  In an emotional plea for support for the bill, Senator Al stated "I have known several people who died or became severely and chronically ill as a result of longterm exposure to asbestos."

Today also saw the return of Northeast Senator Colin Wixted, the President pro tempore, who had been busy with various real-life circumstances for the last week and a half.  He voted on several bills "for the record," including the failed Declaration of Candidacy Bill which he opposed when it was on the floor but missed the final vote due to his unfortunate absence.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2005, 04:16:55 PM »

October 9, 2005

News Bite:  Attorney General Resigns
Nyman, DC-- JohnFKennedy, a former President and current Pope of the Church of PD, resigned today as Attorney General after a brief tenure in the position.  Mr. Kennedy stated, "Work is piling up at the moment and I am afraid I have little time for this.  I am aware that there is very little time remaining [in the position] but in case there is a necessity that I cannot fill, I feel it is right that I resign."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2005, 01:09:19 AM by Senator Porce »

October 9, 2005

Progressive Caucus Chairmanship Election
Round 1
Max Power - 9
Cosmo Kramer - 5
MAS117 - 1

Detailed Voting Results
Ebowed (SC) voted 1. Preston, 2. MAS, 3. Casey;
Cosmo Kramer (AR) voted 1. Preston, 2. Casey, 3. MAS;
TCash101 (TN) voted 1. Preston, 2. MAS, 3. Casey;
Emsworth (FL) voted 1. Casey, 2. Preston, 3. MAS;
LiberalPA (PA) voted 1. Casey, 2. Preston, 3. MAS;
Akno21 (MD) voted 1. Casey, 2. Preston, 3. MAS;
Al (WV) voted 1. Preston, 2. Casey, 3. MAS;
MAS117 (NJ) voted 1. MAS, 2. Casey, 3. Preston;
Wildcard (CA) voted 1. Casey;
Max Power (PA) voted 1. Casey, 2. MAS, 3. Preston;
Frodo (VA) voted 1. Preston;
EarlAW (NY) voted 1. Casey, 2. MAS, 3. Preston;
Defarge (NY) voted 1. Casey, 2. MAS, 3. Preston;
Jas (IA) voted 1. Casey, 2. Preston, 3. MAS;
Peter Bell (IN) voted 1. Casey, 2. Preston.

Max Power is elected Chairman and Cosmo Kramer Vice Chairman, as declared by outgoing Chairman Peter Bell on 10/12/05.

The original booth can be accessed  here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2005, 01:49:31 AM »

October 9, 2005

October 2005 Poll #4 Results
Ebowed News Network’s October 2005 Poll #4 was open for 22 hours between October 8th and October 9th, 2005.  There were 46 responses.

1.) What party are you registered in?
Constitutional Union Party – 23.9%
Atlasian Conservative Alliance – 19.6%
Christian Democratic Party – 15.2%
Independent Liberal Party – 13.0%
Independent/Other – 13.0%
Social Democratic Party – 10.9%
Monster Raving Loony Party   - 4.3%

2.) Who do you plan on first preferencing for President?
Emsworth/Q – 30.4%
Dubya/htmldon – 17.4%
Joe Republic/Defarge – 17.4%
Supersoulty/Frodo – 17.4%
LiberalPA/skybridge – 8.7%
StatesRights/Write-in VP – 6.5%
Jesus/Write-in VP – 2.2%
Mike Naso/Write-in VP    - 0.0%

3.) Who do you plan on second preferencing for President?
Joe Republic/Defarge – 30.4%
Supersoulty/Frodo – 23.9%
Emsworth/Q – 15.2%
No Second Preference – 8.7%
Dubya/htmldon – 6.5%
StatesRights/Write-in VP – 6.5%
Jesus/Write-in VP – 4.3%
LiberalPA/skybridge – 4.3%
Mike Naso/Write-in VP    - 0.0%

4.) Who do you plan on third preferencing for President?
Emsworth/Q – 17.4%
Supersoulty/Frodo – 17.4%
No Third Preference – 13.0%
StatesRights/Write-in VP – 13.0%
Dubya/htmldon – 10.9%
Joe Republic/Defarge – 10.9%
Jesus/Write-in VP – 6.5%
Mike Naso/Write-in VP    - 6.5%
LiberalPA/skybridge – 4.3%

5.)  Southeast Senate Race (15 responses)
Jake – 66.7%
Ben Meyers – 20.0%
StatesRights – 6.7%
Abstain – 6.7%

6.)  Mideast Senate Race (7 responses)
MasterJedi – 71.4%
Akno21 – 28.6%

7.)  Southeast Governor (15 responses) (approval voting)
Bono – 10/15
“Other” (Unspecified) – 6/15

8.)  Southeast Lieutenant Governor (15 responses) (approval voting)
Ian – 12/15
“Other” (Unspecified) – 3/15

9.) Pacific Senate Race (9 responses)
hughento – 55.6%
True Independent – 33.3%
Undecided – 11.1%

10.) Did Supersoulty's choice of Frodo for his running mate make you more likely or less likely to vote for him?
More Likely    - 34.8%
About the Same – 39.1%
Less Likely   - 26.1%

11.) Did Joe Republic's choice of Defarge for his running mate make you more likely or less likely to vote for him?
More Likely    - 39.1%
About the Same – 32.6%
Less Likely – 28.3%

12.) Did Dubya's choice of htmldon for his running mate make you more likely or less likely to vote for him?
More Likely    - 19.6%
About the Same – 37.0%
Less Likely - 43.5%

The results of questions thirteen through twenty-three, the approval ratings, will be up soon!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies