cops in NYC pissed a tiny bit of their corruption has been slightly slowed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:08:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  cops in NYC pissed a tiny bit of their corruption has been slightly slowed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: cops in NYC pissed a tiny bit of their corruption has been slightly slowed  (Read 683 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
the fact that they think they deserve this corruption is the most disturbing part.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 02:56:41 PM by The Arizonan »

There are corrupt cops out there?! I don't think this is exactly a new story.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »

This is surreal. I would compare it to third world countries, but even they very rarely codify their corruption into literal cards to hand out as freebies to their associates.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »

How the hell is this even legal?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

I cant believe this is real.
Are they serious? Are these cards truly legitimate?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »

Yes they are, I had 2 uncles who were NYC cops, They handed them out at family gatherings.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 04:46:26 PM »

And then the "Blue Lives Matter" people say all cops are flawless and beautiful.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »

I wonder how counterfeit-resistant these cards are?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »

The law enforcement officers honestly do not see any moral issue with this???   How in the hell do they have these things with a good conscience?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »

The law enforcement officers honestly do not see any moral issue with this???   How in the hell do they have these things with a good conscience?

The NYPD is a criminal organization themselves
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »

Too bad pigs, more should be shown.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 05:44:50 PM by Tintrlvr »

Yes they are, I had 2 uncles who were NYC cops, They handed them out at family gatherings.

Yeah, this is real. It's not unique to NYC, though of course the NYPD is much bigger and more institutionalized than a random ten-guy police department in a suburban town in New Jersey. These are common in all police departments in the Northeast at least (and I'd guess they probably exist elsewhere in the country, too; you just don't know about it). They're not "get out of jail free" cards precisely. Basically, you show one to the cop who pulled you over for speeding or whatever and the cop (probably) lets you off as a "friendly" gesture. It's not technically illegal because cops have discretion to implement penalties or not for things like traffic violations. They wouldn't literally get you out of jail (most of the time). Definitely vile, though.

The law enforcement officers honestly do not see any moral issue with this???   How in the hell do they have these things with a good conscience?

"All of my family and friends are good eggs. It's those slightly darker bad eggs who we need to worry about."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »

I find this personally very shocking. I was aware of cops letting off cops (including DUI raps), and their relatives, a practice that was common in the county in which I live at one time (rural places can be just as corrupt if not more than urban places - who knew?), but that practice has been cut way back, and if a cop is caught doing that, the cop is subject to punishment now. The gentry that have moved into the county in such large numbers has kind of upset some traditions, and that is one of them. It is great having a contractor who grew up in Hudson, along with his parents, whose wife is a sheriff, who knows all the dirt going back to when rocks cooled.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »

Yeah, this is real. It's not unique to NYC, though of course the NYPD is much bigger and more institutionalized than a random ten-guy police department in a suburban town in New Jersey. These are common in all police departments in the Northeast at least (and I'd guess they probably exist elsewhere in the country, too; you just don't know about it). They're not "get out of jail free" cards precisely. Basically, you show one to the cop who pulled you over for speeding or whatever and the cop (probably) lets you off as a "friendly" gesture. It's not technically illegal because cops have discretion to implement penalties or not for things like traffic violations. They wouldn't literally get you out of jail (most of the time). Definitely vile, though.

The law enforcement officers honestly do not see any moral issue with this???   How in the hell do they have these things with a good conscience?

"All of my family and friends are good eggs. It's those slightly darker bad eggs who we need to worry about."

I assure you it is most definitely illegal, if the discretion is exercised based on possession of a card, the purpose of which is to give you special treatment.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:43 PM »

This is surreal. I would compare it to third world countries, but even they very rarely codify their corruption into literal cards to hand out as freebies to their associates.
Joey1996

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »

The NYPD is the same organization that was exposed for edited Wikipedia pages about police brutality
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 10:57:04 PM »

I assure you it is most definitely illegal, if the discretion is exercised based on possession of a card, the purpose of which is to give you special treatment.

Then theoretically there would be some disciplinary action for this, no?  The scandal isn't that less cards are being distributed (as the article in the OP seems to suggest), it's the fact that the cards exist at all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 11:03:38 PM »

Wow, I never knew "get-out-of-jail-free" cards literally existed.

Me neither. I thought a bribe would be required. I had heard of special cards NYPD officers made where the cop who made the card and the cop who pulled them over would split the bribe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »

...seriously. That's a disgrace.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 11:46:36 PM by Tintrlvr »

I'm pretty sure police discretion on traffic violations is viewed as basically "any reason or no reason" in the courts. Some things might be illegal if they could be proven (such as "I chose not to give her a ticket because she's white") but of course are not provable. Moreover, there is no procedural posture imaginable for a case where the court is saying, "A penalty should have been implemented on this person but was not, and we now find a penalty appropriate and implement that penalty."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure police discretion on traffic violations is viewed as basically "any reason or no reason" in the courts. Some things might be illegal if they could be proven (such as "I chose not to give her a ticket because she's white") but of course are not provable. Moreover, there is no procedural posture imaginable for a case where the court is saying, "A penalty should have been implemented on this person but was not, and we now find a penalty appropriate and implement that penalty."

When discretion is exercised based on possession of the card it is illegal. Period.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »

These are certainly not a thing in Indiana, although it is common for family of police to get out of speeding tickets.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »

I know quite a few people who own these--they think of them as basically excuses to drive as recklessly/aggressively as possible, since they know New Jersey cops won't give them the full fine/sentence/etc. It's horrendous
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »

Why do you guys let them get away with this sh**t?  I wonder if that lady 2 of them raped a couple of months ago wouldn't have gotten raped if she had a Magic Card of Law Breaking.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies