I think we should try this again...but this time...different...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  I think we should try this again...but this time...different...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I think we should try this again...but this time...different...  (Read 1199 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:46:04 AM »

Different how so, you ask?

Well, here are the main features:

-We have a unique concept for a setting and run it to either some sort of "conclusion" or just for a certain length of time--possibly we run it indefinitely but with the understanding we switch to a new one when we get bored. The idea is that we keep it fresh and can try different ideas.

-Like the last edition which fizzled out (I think it's long enough to declare that one dead, right?) but unlike Atlasia, elections will be simulated by the GM team.

-While not being able to vote, all players in the game can influence elections via lobby organizations or PACs, along with media coverage. These will also have effects on the game as calculated by the GM team, just like campaigns and government actions.

-We all play fictional characters we can make up--so not like RL people, but also not playing ourselves like in Atlasia.

It's not fully fleshed out, but yeah.

Any interest in that?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »

I would be interested.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »

I was just thinking this earlier today—great minds think alike, I guess. Wink

If we do try this, I strongly suggest adopting the format used by Lumine for the last revival (with set turns, elections run by a GM, players doing the work of party leadership and backbenchers played by the GM). I agree with Leinad that it would be better to play as characters than as ourselves—for one thing, that would help to mitigate some of the nastier personal drama that is sometimes a problem in Atlasia. Personally, my preference would be for characters based on real-life people, but fictional characters could work so long as people are creative and we don't end up with a dozen handsome, charismatic billionaires.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »

If we do try this, I strongly suggest adopting the format used by Lumine for the last revival (with set turns, elections run by a GM, players doing the work of party leadership and backbenchers played by the GM). I agree with Leinad that it would be better to play as characters than as ourselves—for one thing, that would help to mitigate some of the nastier personal drama that is sometimes a problem in Atlasia. Personally, my preference would be for characters based on real-life people, but fictional characters could work so long as people are creative and we don't end up with a dozen handsome, charismatic billionaires.

I agree. I would prefer to restrict it to actual people full stop, though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »

Same.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

Same.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »

Any thoughts on setting? Personally, I think it would be better to go with something familiar to start, contemporary Canada or the United Kingdom being the two most obvious choices; anything too exotic and we risk going the way of the South America game and spending more time researching the scenario than actually playing. Once things get off the ground, we could then experiment with more creative scenarios if we wanted (a federal Europe or British Republic being two possibilities).
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »

Any thoughts on setting? Personally, I think it would be better to go with something familiar to start, contemporary Canada or the United Kingdom being the two most obvious choices; anything too exotic and we risk going the way of the South America game and spending more time researching the scenario than actually playing. Once things get off the ground, we could then experiment with more creative scenarios if we wanted (a federal Europe or British Republic being two possibilities).

I vote Canada. Parliament all too often equals the UK, so why not shake it up a bit? Also, having the Bloc and the NDP would be neat options.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2018, 08:54:41 PM by Joe Sestak 2020 »

the United States of Europe and the Americas. With a 2000 seat megaparliament.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »

the United States of Europe and the Americas. With a 2000 seat megaparliament.
I'll admit, a supranational NATO parliament is an intriguing possibility, though it might be a bit too much world-building for our inaugural setting.

I vote Canada. Parliament all too often equals the UK, so why not shake it up a bit? Also, having the Bloc and the NDP would be neat options.
I like Canada as well—would we want to start with the 2015 elections?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:55 PM »

I'm fine with Canada if I can play Kevin O'Leary.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2018, 03:04:01 PM by Ted Bessell »

I agree that Canada would be great. Post-2015 would be a fantastic place to start.

EDIT: Also, dibs on Jagmeet Singh
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »

If we do things, I would prefer Irwin Cotler.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »

If we do Canada, I would like Andrew Scheer. Also, I agree that post-2015 or the 2019 election is the best place to start.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »

Shall we start, then? I've been reading up on Canadian politics and would be willing to GM the first round, unless someone more knowledgeable wanted to take the helm.

Either way, we ought to get started sooner rather than later; I'd hate to see this idea wash down the drain for want of attention.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 02:45:10 AM »

Shall we start, then? I've been reading up on Canadian politics and would be willing to GM the first round, unless someone more knowledgeable wanted to take the helm.

Either way, we ought to get started sooner rather than later; I'd hate to see this idea wash down the drain for want of attention.

I’m ready to go if y’all are
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »

Me too.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »

Me too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies