FT 5-1: Metric System adoption Resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:03:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 5-1: Metric System adoption Resolution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 5-1: Metric System adoption Resolution  (Read 641 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:16:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Cashew
DFL

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »

Thank you for the resolution, First Minister.

I'm fully in support of this. Could this possibly be submitted into the Public Consultation and Legislation Submission thread to be debated directly by congress?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »

Well, this is exciting.
DFL

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »

What would you say is the best course of action on this, Truman?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »

What would you say is the best course of action on this, Truman?
I think you both have a point. As far as the substance of this proposal goes, transition to the metric system would be a positive development from my perspective, and one I would support were I still a member of Congress. Of course, adoption of a uniform system of weights and measures is a federal prerogative, so any proposed change will need to win Congressional approval; but I don't see why parliament can't take the first step by resolving their support for this policy. I'm reminded of what was the common practice of state legislatures prior to passage of the Seventeenth Amendment to issue "instructions" to their states' senators bidding them to advocate for a particular issue. Reviving that tradition strikes me as a boon for the legislative process and the regional system alike; so I would suggest amending the last line of the resolution to specifically call on Fremont's senators to introduce legislation to this effect.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2018, 06:01:44 PM by MP Koopa »

I approve of this legislation. For waaaay too long, our nation has been using an inferior standard of measurement. This has caused communication errors between Atlasians & non-Atlasians. Not to mention, the Metric System is superior to the Imperial System. The Metric System is based on base 10. For example, 11.57 centimeters is also 115.7 millimeters, as well as being 1.157 meters. The Imperial System isn't this easy to teach to our nation's students. I believe that we should slowly transition into an 100% Metric Atlasia, and this resolution is a great place to start. I approve.
DFL

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:07:36 PM »

I propose this amendment for Section 2-5, the Resolved Clause

5. RESOLVED, that the legislators of Fremont call upon both Senators of Fremont to introduce legislation into the Atlasian Senate to align Atlasia with the international standards of measurement.
DFL

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »

Given no dissent, the amendment is hereby adopted as per Section 10 of Article III in the Standing Orders.

I'll give another 24 hours for any objections on the resolution before moving to a vote.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »

Wouldn't substantial fiscal expense and effort would be needed to shift all of the many institutions in this country which employ customary measurements? I question whether this is worth saving the relatively minimal amount of time and effort that it takes to just convert from customary measurements to metric and vice versa.

I'm leaning towards opposing this legislation, but I would like to propose an amendment to add the following clauses.

DFL

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »

Wouldn't substantial fiscal expense and effort would be needed to shift all of the many institutions in this country which employ customary measurements? I question whether this is worth saving the relatively minimal amount of time and effort that it takes to just convert from customary measurements to metric and vice versa.

I'm leaning towards opposing this legislation, but I would like to propose an amendment to add the following clauses.

Would Section 5 still exist with this amendment? It appears 5 and 7 call for similar things, if I'm not mistaken.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:06:22 PM »

Would Section 5 still exist with this amendment? It appears 5 and 7 call for similar things, if I'm not mistaken.

They call for similar things, but they are different -- while 5 says what we want them to do, 7 basically just requires you to send it to them by PM or something, since I doubt they regularly read the Regional Governments board Tongue
DFL

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:45 PM »

They call for similar things, but they are different -- while 5 says what we want them to do, 7 basically just requires you to send it to them by PM or something, since I doubt they regularly read the Regional Governments board Tongue

Ah ok that makes more sense, lmao. Amendment looks good to me!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »

Ah ok that makes more sense, lmao. Amendment looks good to me!

Agreed.
DFL

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »

[/quote]

This amendment has passed.

If there are no objections to the bill within the next 24 hours we’ll move to voting procedure.
DFL

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

We are now moving into final voting procedure on item 5-1, the Metric System Adoption Resolution. The final version of this act reads as follows:

You may begin voting.
DFL

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »

Aye.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »

Nay
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »

Aye.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 02:07:32 AM »

ABSTAIN
DFL

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »

With a vote of 2-1-5 abstaining, this Resolution PASSES.

I will be messaging Pericles, Siren, and Truman about this soon, as the resolution says.
DFL

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »

The official transcript of the message sent to Siren, Pericles, and Truman:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies