The dollar is crashing under Trump, BTW
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:51:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The dollar is crashing under Trump, BTW
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The dollar is crashing under Trump, BTW  (Read 1893 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »

Not sure people have noticed, but the dollar has been falling steadily against the euro all year. It has dropped from $1.05 to the Euro to $1.25. Against decades of precedent whereby the administration says the U.S. favors a strong dollar, whether or not it does, Steve Mnuchin said in Davis that a weak dollar is good for America.

Could you imagine Fox News if this were happening under Obama?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »

Is the dollar chrashing or is the euro rising?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »

Is the dollar chrashing or is the euro rising?

The dollar has declined against most other major currencies as well (pound, Swiss franc, yen, etc.)
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »

TBH the Pre-Trump GOP obsession with a strong currency and paranoia over inflation was always an outdated relic from the 70s/80s and makes absolutely no sense in the 21st century, so Trump has probably done the GOP a favour in this regard.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2018, 10:09:41 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

This is quite obviously a good thing...this is exactly what the agricultural sector that swung massively towards Trump wanted. How smart are the people of Iowa, huh!

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-called-mike-flynn-about-us-dollar-at-3-am-2017-2

Michael Flynn should have charges dropped for giving such incredible advice when he received this dire call!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »

I agree it's not necessarily a bad thing, but as with the deficit this is something that Fox News and the Republican base supposedly really, really cared about and something where the Trump administration broke decades of precedent without anyone noticing.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »

Good for US exporters.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 12:22:44 PM »

This is good for me in the short term, since I still have a fair amount of money in Australia, and I've been waiting for a good time to repatriate it.  Looks like that time may well come soon.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »

I agree it's not necessarily a bad thing, but as with the deficit this is something that Fox News and the Republican base supposedly really, really cared about and something where the Trump administration broke decades of precedent without anyone noticing.

It is a bad thing if it is a precursor to considerably higher inflation, and one considers that a bad thing.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »

This is good for me in the short term, since I still have a fair amount of money in Australia, and I've been waiting for a good time to repatriate it.  Looks like that time may well come soon.

Good on you for waiting. I just converted all my Canadian money after getting tired of waiting.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 11:32:59 PM »

This is quite obviously a good thing...this is exactly what the agricultural sector that swung massively towards Trump wanted. How smart are the people of Iowa, huh!

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-called-mike-flynn-about-us-dollar-at-3-am-2017-2

Michael Flynn should have charges dropped for giving such incredible advice when he received this dire call!

I guess ag commodities are up big then?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:49 PM »

It is a bad thing if it is a precursor to considerably higher inflation, and one considers that a bad thing.

True, but when was the last time inflation was a problem in the U.S., much less inflation driven by currency? I don't think the inflation rate has been more than a curiosity since around 1990, and has not been a serious economic threat since Volcker slew the dragon 10 years earlier. Over that time the dollar has gone up and down, but this has never triggered noticeable inflation. Much of the Republican base, of course, remembers the 1970s.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:23:51 AM »

It's not "just" inflation. A weaker currency represents a lower real income for americans as their income will now buy less foreign produced goods. A weaker currency might be beneficial overall when unemployment is high, but that is not the case in the US. It might also be beneficial when there is a vast trade deficit which IS the case. However, overall, I wouldn't say that this is great for americans.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »

True, but when was the last time inflation was a problem in the U.S., much less inflation driven by currency? I don't think the inflation rate has been more than a curiosity since around 1990, and has not been a serious economic threat since Volcker slew the dragon 10 years earlier. Over that time the dollar has gone up and down, but this has never triggered noticeable inflation. Much of the Republican base, of course, remembers the 1970s.

Yeah, and I have been somewhat surprised. So I did a google to educate myself a bit better on this, and found this little morsel. And the answer is that it is complicated, with exchange rates being in the mix, along with a lot of other stuff and noise. So there you go.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »

A weak dollar is good for the US economy...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »

In most times this is true, but we are now close to overheating and we are loading on the Keynesian stimulus while draining the labor force.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 11:43:09 AM »

In most times this is true, but we are now close to overheating and we are loading on the Keynesian stimulus while draining the labor force.
Yeah inflation will probably be going up... which will lead to interest rate hikes and given where the stock market is, that’s not good.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »

Yeah inflation will probably be going up... which will lead to interest rate hikes and given where the stock market is, that’s not good.

In addition, wages still haven't really adjusted for inflation as it is. More inflation will cause those wages to feel even lower.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies