America is becoming MORE homophobic (new polls)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:49:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  America is becoming MORE homophobic (new polls)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: America is becoming MORE homophobic (new polls)  (Read 5545 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/its-official-america-suddenly-isnt-comfortable-with-lgbt-people?yptr=yahoo

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »

Perhaps this could be partially chalked up to more people identifying as LGBT, with the non-LGBT population having broadly the same views.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »

I hope Crumpets is correct, but if the results accurately indicate an increasingly homophobic public, then that’s awful. The scenarios provided in that poll shouldn’t make anyone uncomfortable. So, LGBTQ people living their daily life and existing alongside you bothers you? Tough. They have to deal with constant heterosexual displays of affection and few are “uncomfortable” by it like straights are by LGBTQ people. Straight people need to get over it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »

I personally feel more comfortable than ever, though I don't often venture out of big metro areas. Disturbing if true.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »

A part of me wonders if social desirability has been in effect.

It's possible that social conservatives or leaners weren't directly expressing their true feelings but after Trump's win, they're more comfortable admitting that they're not supportive of LGBT.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »

Should we be surprised by this?
We have an Orange Haired Clown as our president, touting a Make America Hate Again campaign.
The US is experiencing all sorts of increased hate/crime against all minority and disenfranchised groups the last year or so.
The Deplorables are making our nation ..... well, deplorable.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »

It's possible that social conservatives or leaners weren't directly expressing their true feelings but after Trump's win, they're more comfortable admitting that they're not supportive of LGBT.

I think so.
Hollywood
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2018, 03:20:18 PM by Hollywood »

The article makes that absurd conclusion that numbers of non-accepting people has increased, because of right-wing (i.e. Trump's) rhetoric, reasoning that this is the first time they've seen an increase in the 4 years of the Study.   This is easily disproven.  The study, numbers, and articles serves as a prime example of the ways Democrats manipulate polls to play identity politics by mistating the information and results.  

First, we have no idea if the numbers are up, because the percentage of change is 2-3% within an particular question. This is within the margin of error of the 2017 poll (1,897 non-LGBT), and well within the margin of error for the 2014-2016 polls (1692-1891 non-LGBT).   The Standard Margin of Error is 2.5%, which means if you asked the same question in 100 polls you would get a difference of 2.5% in each poll.   This is exactly what has occurred.  In this poll, the margin of error could be as high as 5% given the style of questioning and answer choices.  For example, when you consider the “Somewhat comfortable” or “Very Uncomfortable” answer choice, we have no idea if this difference has changed.  It's a big discrepency as 25% out of 29% might have been “very uncomfortable” last go around, but now only 5% of 32% are “somewhat uncomfortable”, marking an enormous improvement.  

Second, in contrast with the above-referenced article, the number of people that “strongly” or “Somewhat” support equal rights is the same as it was in 2016 – 79%.   This makes sense, because its within the 5% margin of error that has verified over the last 3 years.  

Last, let’s address the increase of LGBT respondents that reported discrimination.  This is up 55% from 44% in 2016.   Well at the end of 2016, we had the pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando.  This act was perpetrated by an Islamic terrorist.  It makes sense that the number of reports would go up in the environment after the shooting, as well as media propaganda that focuses on arguments that Trump’s rhetoric is causing “violence”, “racial discrimination”, “anti-semetism”, etc. etc.   As you’d expect, sensitivities are higher since Trump’s election, the rhetoric is racial, and so the numbers of reports are up 2-5% in a variety of categories, in addition to being up 15% in some weird category.   Moreover, we need to take into account that reports of LGBT crimes has been on the rise for a number of years according to FBI statistic, predating Trump.  

In conclusion, the report is overstated.  I think a claim of “non-acceptance on the rise” due to Trump is just being used as a fraudulent political tactic to serve Democrats, and LGBT groups that want to stimulate media attention by highlighting a growing Homophobia problem.   The study is intentionally deceptive with its questions, methodology, and conclusions.  It lacks basic analytical

http://www.glaad.org/files/aa/Accelerating%20Acceptance%202018.pdf (2018 Report)

https://www.glaad.org/files/aa/2017_GLAAD_Accelerating_Acceptance.pdf (2017 Report)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »

November 2017? The Kevin Spacey effect!
Hollywood
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »

I personally feel more comfortable than ever, though I don't often venture out of big metro areas. Disturbing if true.

I agree. Never in my life have people been more accepting of homosexuality, and this sentiment seems to be growing every year.

The number is essentially the same.  The only way to evaluate your theory is to look at the breakdown of "Somewhat" and "strongly" uncomfortable answer choices.  Some of the results are actually lower than 2014, but its generally all in the same range.  

We have an Orange Haired Clown as our president, touting a Make America Hate Again campaign.
The US is experiencing all sorts of increased hate/crime against all minority and disenfranchised groups the last year or so.

This Democrat talking point is total nonsense!

An analysis of FBI hate statistics from 2016 to 2015 tends to disagree.  46.1% of hate crimes were committed by both white non-hispanics and hispanics down from 48.3 in 2015 (AKA 71% of populations that voted 60% for Trump).  African American hate crimes increased from 24.3 to 26.1 (may include some hispanics).  The category of Unknown (AKA usually Hispanic numbers, which corresponds to statistics that actually identify Hispanics) has increased from 16.2 to 18.1.  Interracial groups have committed less hate crimes.  Congrats!

Also, we have no idea whether the increase in non-acceptance within the GLADD poll was by Democrat racial groups: Hispanic or African American.  We have no racial or political breakdown.  The only number we may be able to link to an increase in non-acceptance is white voters (60% Trump) that may have committed hate crimes for a variety of non-Trump reasons.  This also leaves a huge number (40% of Democrats) that may have committed a hate crimes.  I mean the Pulse Nightclub shooter was a Muslim (maybe a Democrat) that just didn't like homosexuals or was uncomfortable with his own homosexuality.  I don't think a Muslim would be compelled to commit a hate crime because of Trump.  

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2016/topic-pages/offenders
Joey1996

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »

Eh, I think Trump/Pence is just making homophobes, racists and sexists more embolden in being honest about their hatred.
Hollywood
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 04:35:26 PM »

Eh, I think Trump/Pence is just making homophobes, racists and sexists more embolden in being honest about their hatred.

But where is the proof? All I get from Democrats is anecdotes.  I only see concrete evidence that the perpetrators of hate-related crimes only increased with minority groups that normally vote Democrat. Hate crimes went down against African Americans and increased for whites and Hispanics by 2%. 

Additionally, polls indicate that most Americans support DACA and citizenship for illegal immigration. Current events indicates that people are becoming socially conscious about sexism, and less emboldened about sexually-motivated crimes. 

The only way one can link Trump/Pence with the emboldening of homophobes, racists and sexism is if you conflate these forms of bigotry with public criticism, such as transgender bathrooms with homophobia; overstated statistic statistics of the gender wage gap, convicting people before trials and disagreement with policy with sexism; and providing citizenship to DACA recipient and Illegal immigrant on condition that a wall is built with racism. 

And Nitpicking anecdotes to support that opinion is like conservatives using Islamic terrorist attacks to support the idea of a travel ban.  Its manipulative and completely driven by political groups, in addition to media organizations like CNN and FOX that want to stoke the flames. 
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »

But where is the proof? All I get from Democrats is anecdotes.  I only see concrete evidence that the perpetrators of hate-related crimes only increased with minority groups that normally vote Democrat. Hate crimes went down against African Americans and increased for whites and Hispanics by 2%. 

Additionally, polls indicate that most Americans support DACA and citizenship for illegal immigration. Current events indicates that people are becoming socially conscious about sexism, and less emboldened about sexually-motivated crimes. 

The only way one can link Trump/Pence with the emboldening of homophobes, racists and sexism is if you conflate these forms of bigotry with public criticism, such as transgender bathrooms with homophobia; overstated statistic statistics of the gender wage gap, convicting people before trials and disagreement with policy with sexism; and providing citizenship to DACA recipient and Illegal immigrant on condition that a wall is built with racism. 

And Nitpicking anecdotes to support that opinion is like conservatives using Islamic terrorist attacks to support the idea of a travel ban.  Its manipulative and completely driven by political groups, in addition to media organizations like CNN and FOX that want to stoke the flames. 

I don't know about hate crimes, but when it comes to anti-gay bigotry there is a decent point about minorities having these views, some of the most hateful anti gay comments I see online are from black women.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

An analysis of FBI hate statistics from 2016 to 2015 tends to disagree.  46.1% of hate crimes were committed by both white non-hispanics and hispanics down from 48.3 in 2015 (AKA 71% of populations that voted 60% for Trump).  African American hate crimes increased from 24.3 to 26.1 (may include some hispanics).  The category of Unknown (AKA usually Hispanic numbers, which corresponds to statistics that actually identify Hispanics) has increased from 16.2 to 18.1.  Interracial groups have committed less hate crimes.  Congrats!

Also, we have no idea whether the increase in non-acceptance within the GLADD poll was by Democrat racial groups: Hispanic or African American.  We have no racial or political breakdown.  The only number we may be able to link to an increase in non-acceptance is white voters (60% Trump) that may have committed hate crimes for a variety of non-Trump reasons.  This also leaves a huge number (40% of Democrats) that may have committed a hate crimes.  I mean the Pulse Nightclub shooter was a Muslim (maybe a Democrat) that just didn't like homosexuals or was uncomfortable with his own homosexuality.  I don't think a Muslim would be compelled to commit a hate crime because of Trump.  

Funny you quote the FBI, but fail to leave out the FBI's findings and recent report just this past November. Does this sound like "total nonsense" to you?
There is a link to the FBI report in this Wall Street Journal article:

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2018, 04:56:49 PM by ProudModerate2 »

But where is the proof? All I get from Democrats is anecdotes.

Your "proof" is in the post directly above this one.
Read it, absorb it and weep.
PS: You sound like a bigot. Seems like we have a white-nationalist Nazi on Atlas, ready to throw Russia-level "alternative facts" to try to confuse the general public.
Hollywood
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »

I don't know about hate crimes, but when it comes to anti-gay bigotry there is a decent point about minorities having these views, some of the most hateful anti gay comments I see online are from black women.

Yeah it happens in all communities, and experienced similar types of comments from every racial group.  I think there's a lot of cross over into the Democrat party of people that dislike homosexuals, but vote Democrats cause its beneficial for their own particular racial/cultural/social group.  The Pew Research poll below indicates that 51% of African Americans support and 64% of white non-hispanics support gay marriage.  

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

Obviously, the Republican Party is going to attract people that genuinely think gay marriage is a sin that should be disallowed by government (perhaps instead labeled as a civil union), and then your going to attract people that truly hate homosexuals.  It would be similar if you were an anti-Israel group.  Your going to attract people that dislike Israeli policies and anti-semites.  
Hollywood
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »

Funny you quote the FBI, but fail to leave out the FBI's findings and recent report just this past November. Does this sound like "total nonsense" to you?
There is a link to the FBI report in this Wall Street Journal article:

Yeah I posted links to the hard statistics behind the Washington Post article.  My arguments still stand.  The number of incidents for Muslims went from 257-307 (50 increase) and 1,053-1,076 (24 increase) between 2015 and 2016.

My point stands.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2015/tables-and-data-declarations/1tabledatadecpdf

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2015/tables-and-data-declarations/1tabledatadecpdf
Hollywood
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2018, 09:21:33 PM by Hollywood »

But where is the proof? All I get from Democrats is anecdotes.

Your "proof" is in the post directly above this one.
Read it, absorb it and weep.
PS: You sound like a bigot. Seems like we have a white-nationalist Nazi on Atlas, ready to throw Russia-level "alternative facts" to try to confuse the general public.

It doesn't really address my statements.  I've responded to it.  Yes and my proof is actual FBI statistics from which the article derives.  

I sound like a bigot?  That's a bigoted statement.  

So I'm a white-nationalist Nazi?  I'm jewish dude.

Yeah keep compounding stupidity with stupidity.  
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »

I'm not surprised at the polls results, and I think there's definitely been some backlash to homosexuality in the last few years. Gay people have appeared with increasing frequency in media and have gained new legal rights with Obergefell. In this country, basically any time something progressive happens (see e.g. Obamacare, Roe v. Wade, civil rights), there's usually a conservative backlash. Two steps forward, one step back.
Hydera

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »

So I'm a white-nationalist Nazi.  I'm jewish dude.

No your Arkansas Yankee.

I'm not surprised at the polls results, and I think there's definitely been some backlash to homosexuality in the last few years. Gay people have appeared with increasing frequency in media and have gained new legal rights with Obergefell. In this country, basically any time something progressive happens (see e.g. Obamacare, Roe v. Wade, civil rights), there's usually a conservative backlash. Two steps forward, one step back.

George Bush's crusade against gay marriage in 2004 made people think consenting gay relationships should be illegal and it took three years for should be legal to be majority again.  Politics does have an impact.
○∙◄☻Ątπ[╪AV┼cVę└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »

So I'm a white-nationalist Nazi.  I'm jewish dude.

No your Arkansas Yankee.

George Bush's crusade against gay marriage in 2004 made people think consenting gay relationships should be illegal and it took three years for should be legal to be majority again.  Politics does have an impact.

But George Bush is a resistance hero now that he doesn't like Trump because he crushed Jeb in the primary.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »

You know what they say about homophobes, right?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »

As someone who is bisexual, I think it could partially be attributed to Trump, but more so to anti-transgender views.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 09:03:56 PM »

It's not surprising. It is a backlash.

You can't force people to love LGBTQ people. Teach acceptance.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 07:19:22 AM »

This is basically entirely a result of the new prominence of the transgender movement.

A lot of people came around to acceptance of gays because they were convinced by arguments that "gays just want the same rights as you, there's no slippery slope"

but now we see that it's a mainstream liberal position that children should be given sex change hormones and puberty blockers.

There obviously was a slippery slope and people feel like they were tricked into supporting gays under false pretenses.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies