America is becoming MORE homophobic (new polls)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:09:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  America is becoming MORE homophobic (new polls)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: America is becoming MORE homophobic (new polls)  (Read 5546 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »

Why does every thread relating to gays become a debate about trans rights with one person playing the "trans is bad" side? This happened on the damn thread about Nancy Pelosi guest judging on Drag Race, too.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

What I’m actually saying is that most of the 60% of Americans who support gay marriage simply view it as a libertarian issue with the “different strokes for different folks” point of view. They see it as an issue that only affects other people. That doesn’t preclude them from still being shocked and hurt when their own kid comes out. In fact, many parents of LGBT children went through a Kubler Ross phase of their own when they found out.
Hydera

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2018, 09:09:39 PM by Hydera »

Why does every thread relating to gays become a debate about trans rights with one person playing the "trans is bad" side? This happened on the damn thread about Nancy Pelosi guest judging on Drag Race, too.

Because  of 'Famous Mortimer'.

Basically conservatives are giving up fighting gays and turning to fighting transgender people. Because transgender people are a new concept to a lot of people it means that not all of the people who accept gays also accept transgender people and theres also people who have a no-opinion on transgender people. And then you have people who are fine or claim they are but arent, with gay people but against trans rights because to them transgender people are "icky".
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »

This might have something to do with the attacks on religious freedoms of businesses.
Hydera

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 10:45:24 PM »

This might have something to do with the attacks on religious freedoms of businesses.

I Guess muslims should be able to refuse service to non-muslims huh,
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »

No one is refusing service to gays.  Some people think that certain relationships are immoral and they don't want to bake a cake for a ceremony that celebrates such relationships.  They would be fine with baking a birthday cake for a person who is in a gay relationship.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:22 AM »

No one is refusing service to gays.  Some people think that certain relationships are immoral and they don't want to bake a cake for a ceremony that celebrates such relationships.  They would be fine with baking a birthday cake for a person who is in a gay relationship.

isnt it kinda weird that cake bakers are getting into the business of judging the morality of their customers' life choices? why would a baker, religious or not, care who the cake was for? just take their money for christ's sake lol
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »

isnt it kinda weird that cake bakers are getting into the business of judging the morality of their customers' life choices? why would a baker, religious or not, care who the cake was for? just take their money for christ's sake lol

They don't actually care who the cake is for, they only care about the event the cake is for.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2018, 10:26:15 PM »

What do you expect? Donald F****ng Trump is the president.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »

They don't actually care who the cake is for, they only care about the event the cake is for.

that still doesnt make sense. why would a baker care what happens to the cake after they make and sell it? i personally could care less if my cake was served at a satanist's birthday party, not my business.
all these christian bakers judging like hell. what happened to "only G-D can judge me?"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »

No one is refusing service to gays.  Some people think that certain relationships are immoral and they don't want to bake a cake for a ceremony that celebrates such relationships.  They would be fine with baking a birthday cake for a person who is in a gay relationship.

You seem to know a lot about the internal thoughts and feelings that drive these people.  What is their favorite color?  Let me guess...the same as yours...since all you’re doing is projecting your twisted “i don’t hate you, I just hate you” ‘logic’ onto christian cake bakers.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »

I don't think they are homophobic because of gay people themselves, rather the LBGT movement has gotten quite over the top lately. No, there are only 2 genders, and no, we are not referring to you as xi/xir.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »

I don't think they are homophobic because of gay people themselves, rather the LBGT movement has gotten quite over the top lately. No, there are only 2 genders, and no, we are not referring to you as xi/xir.

Where do you think the LBGT movement has gone "over the top?" Why does it matter how many genders there really are? If someone feels it right for them to do something in-between or whatever, what is the problem with just letting them do it? How does that represent a public policy problem? I personally know "women" who have become "men," and are doing just fine, and as far as I can tell, really seem like men. Modern medicine is quite miraculous sometimes.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »

Where do you think the LBGT movement has gone "over the top?" Why does it matter how many genders there really are? If someone feels it right for them to do something in-between or whatever, what is the problem with just letting them do it? How does that represent a public policy problem? I personally know "women" who have become "men," and are doing just fine, and as far as I can tell, really seem like men. Modern medicine is quite miraculous sometimes.

If you are a man, and think you are a woman, you are not a woman. I don't give a crap about what you think you are. And I don't think most of America does either.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »

I don't see "more" in my neck of the woods, mostly because it's bad, always has been bad, and always will be bad.  Sad
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »

If you are a man, and think you are a woman, you are not a woman. I don't give a crap about what you think you are. And I don't think most of America does either.

You didn't answer my question. Rather you made clear that you don't give a damn about the challenges folks unhappy in their own bodies, etc., face. Screw them. Why is it so hard and difficult to just let them do their own thing?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »

I don't see "more" in my neck of the woods, mostly because it's bad, always has been bad, and always will be bad.  Sad

If the hood is 100% homophobic, then it is impossible to get more homophobic, I guess is your little mathematical point. I don't really believe that of course. It is not as if you live in Cambria County or something. I mean even if you don't live in one, wealthy burbs are not very far away from you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »

I don't see "more" in my neck of the woods, mostly because it's bad, always has been bad, and always will be bad.  Sad

If the hood is 100% homophobic, then it is impossible to get more homophobic, I guess is your little mathematical point. I don't really believe that of course. It is not as if you live in Cambria County or something. I mean even if you don't live in one, wealthy burbs are not very far away from you.

I'm just giving you my observations as someone who lives 5 miles from Heinz Field and works in the not so wealthy burbs.  It's not 100% no tolerance and I didn't mean to imply it was.......I just don't see the acceptance increasing in my little bubble.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

You didn't answer my question. Rather you made clear that you don't give a damn about the challenges folks unhappy in their own bodies, etc., face. Screw them. Why is it so hard and difficult to just let them do their own thing?

As someone who sympathizes with LGBT community, the only objection I have against is the demand that we must use the pronoun transgender individual feels comfortable with, something I personally have no problem doing. But no one is morally obligated to call others in a courteous manner.

If LGBT community as a whole decides to form a protest against the person who refused to use the pronoun, I'd be ok with that too.

Speech to me is supposed to be like free market. Know your expectation and results.
I'm against coercion of speech.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »

As someone who sympathizes with LGBT community, the only objection I have against is the demand that we must use the pronoun transgender individual feels comfortable with, something I personally have no problem doing. But no one is morally obligated to call others in a courteous manner.

If LGBT community as a whole decides to form a protest against the person who refused to use the pronoun, I'd be ok with that too.

Speech to me is supposed to be like free market. Know your expectation and results.
I'm against coercion of speech.

I've thought this over, and I've come to a solid conclusion: I haven't the foggiest idea what you're trying to say here. Not trying to be funny, I just have no clue what being "against coercion of speech" means in this context. Does it mean some sort of evil government conspiracy to ban people misgendeirng others like that paranoid Canadian professor worries about?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »

I don't see "more" in my neck of the woods, mostly because it's bad, always has been bad, and always will be bad.  Sad

I'm just giving you my observations as someone who lives 5 miles from Heinz Field and works in the not so wealthy burbs.  It's not 100% no tolerance and I didn't mean to imply it was.......I just don't see the acceptance increasing in my little bubble.

Sewickly is about 8 miles from the field. Just saying. Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2018, 02:05:01 PM »

Sewickly is about 8 miles from the field. Just saying. Smiley

They'd even tolerate you in Sewickley.  We just ignore them.  Tongue
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »

unfortunately science and psychology disagree with u. gender identity is psychological, and studies of brains have shown some areas that are more similar to a trans person's preferred gender than their birth one.

also regarding pronouns, it shouldnt be illegal to use them incorrectly obviously. all lgbt ppl are saying is that it's rude and inaccurate to use the wrong pronouns for someone; you're not being a criminal, just a dick. ppl who dont believe in transgenderism can be rude all they want, all trans are asking is to be treated with respect and acceptance, and at the very least an open mind.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies