The Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:10:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 38
Author Topic: The Romney Administration  (Read 102687 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »

A popular President Romney and a Trump-free GOP. Great TL so far! Romney would've won in 2012 if he didn't chose the then-inexperienced Paul Ryan as running mate.

Yah I don’t get why he chose Ryan as VP

Ryan was just a congressman who never won a statewide election and his views on Social Security and Medicare was pretty far right and that hurt Romney a lot in Florida and the Rust Belt
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »

CNN- Election Night in America 2013:

7:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9xY_CoC_M

Wolf Blitzer: Welcome to CNN's coverage of the 2013 off year election. The Polls have just closed in Virginia and CNN can project its too close to call. Lets go to John King for an update

John King: Our exit polls show that Gillispie is performing around where Senator McDonnell did last year in Northern Virginia and thats bad news for the McAuliffe camp.

8:00

Wolf Blitzer: The polls have closed in New Jersey and CNN can project that Governor Christe will be reelected by a comfortable margin. Now lets go over to John King who will give us an update on the Virginia Senate Race

John King: Its still almost tracking exactly like last year's Senate Race, except this time Gillispie is doing even slightly better than McDonnell was doing at this point one year ago. In New Jersey Christe won in almost every Demographic there is , and the only Demographic he did lose, African Americans, he easily outperformed his numbers from 2009. One last thing though, this big win means that if Governor Christe can remain reasonably popular over the next 4 years, he easily could be a strong contender for the 2020 Republican Nomination if he wanted it.

Wolf: 2020 is still a long way out but I agree , if he remains popular he could make a case to the GOP then

9:00

Wolf Blitzer: The polls have closed in New York City and we can project Bill De Blaiso will be the next mayor of New York City. He also will be the first Democratic Mayor in 20 years

John King: So Far that looks like the only win the Democrats will have tonight because Mr. Gillispie vote totals are still tracking exactly like Senator McDonnell did a year ago. The only way the Democrats win is if the Democrats manage to greatly outperform exit polls in Northern Virginia.

10:15

Wolf Blitzer: CNN can now project that former chair of the RNC Ed Gillespie will be the next Governor of Virginia.

OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »

Fantastic timeline bro
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »

Thanks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »

President Romney gives an Oval Office address on the issue of Healthcare Reform:

Romney: My Fellow Americans, as you may know the issue of Healthcare Reform has been debated for decades now , and everytime the issue comes up for debate in Congress it either fails to pass entirely or Congress decides to pass a temporary fix to the problem, and is never able to pass a long-term solution. Due to the failure of passing a long-term solution, the problem instead of getting fixed gets worse and worse , and now after decades of short-term solutions we have reached a point where we no longer can afford to kick the can down the road any further, and it is imperative that we pass a long-term solution. Due to this, I have decided I will veto any bill which offers just a temporary fix to the problem and doesn't do anything to control costs and improve the quality of healthcare as well.

The first thing we must do to control costs is we must change the nature of our healthcare system from a system which just responds when people get really sick or need surgeries to a healthcare system which is designed to help prevent those things in the first place. As you can see from this chart over here, healthcare is most expensive during treatments and surgeries,  and it's only getting more and more expensive as time goes by. As a father, I would rather have my kids talk to their doctor more frequently, and have symptoms treated when they are mild rather than when they are severe and I am sure all the fathers and mothers in America would rather see that as well. Due to this I believe we should provide incentives to healthcare providers to improve their primary care services.

The Second thing we must do to control costs is to allow Medicare to negotiate the prices of prescription drugs, as in my belief it makes no sense for the taxpayer to subsidize overpriced medicine when we can get the same medicine for a lower price. Once this is done not only will it reduce the costs of Medicare, which then we can use the extra savings to help more people get covered, we also reduce the price of prescription drugs in general which will make it much easier for people to afford them, and stay healthy due to being able to afford them.

The last thing we must do is increase competition because the best way to improve quality and reduce costs is through competition. The first thing we will do in that regard is open up state lines so people have more choices in which health insurance plan they would like to buy, and the second thing we will do in that regard is incentivizing health insurance companies to enter counties which only currently have carrier on the exchange, to create more competition, lower costs and improve quality. The reason this will help reduce prices and increase quality is simple, when a company has less competition to worry about that company would not be as incentivized to reduce costs and increase quality than the company who does have competition to deal with.

I hope everyone as a great Thanksgiving Weekend, and may God Bless you and May God Bless America.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2018, 12:04:25 AM by Old School Republican »

Romney's Approval Ratings, and Polls on Healthcare Reform(11/27/13)

Romney's Approval Rating

Approve: 63(+2%)%
Disapprove: 30(-3)%
Dont Know: 7%(+1%)

Polls on Healthcare Reform

Do you support reforming the Healthcare system where the primary purpose of it is Prevention :

Yes: 59%
No : 26%
Dont Know: 15%

Do you support allowing Medicare to Negotiate Prescription Drug Prices:

Yes: 79%
No : 18%
Dont Know: 3%

Do you support Opening Up State Lines:

Yes: 43%
No: 42%
Dont Know: 15%

Do you support giving incentives to Health Insurance Companies to move into counties where there is currently only one provider:

Yes: 41%
No: 41%
Dont Know: 18%

Do you support making it illegal for someone to be denied because of Preexisting conditions:
Yes: 77%
No : 21%
Dont Know: 2%

John King: Since the President's Oval Office Address a couple days ago on this issue many people have moved from the Dont Know Column to many of these polls to the Yes Column. The fact is though the parts of his proposal which deal with increasing competition remain controversial and you can expect a pretty large battle over it in the Senate.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »

House Passes Healthcare Reform Bill

Summary of Bill

- Promotes health care plans which have a good record on preventive health care, and on treating symptoms when they are mild rather than when they become severe by giving those companies tax credits and have Medicaid funding go to those types of plans.

- Allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices, and allowing the importation of prescription drugs from Canada

- Bans denying someone coverage due to a preexisting condition

- Allows Americans to buy health insurance plan across state lines

- Giving Tax Deductions to Health Insurance Companies who move into counties where there is currently only one provider
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:45 PM »

Breaking News: Fallujah falls to a Radical Islamic Terrorist Group

Wolf Blitzer: Earlier today a terrorist group named the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria captured the city of Fallujah. Fallujah was also the city in Iraq where the bloodiest battle in the Iraq War took place. Now here is International Correspondent Arwa Damon to talk more about this situation.

Arwa Duncan: This terrorist group, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria is a group which broke apart from Al-Qaeda and is even more radical than Al-Qaeda was really first started fighting the Iraqis last year has plunged the country of Iraq back into civil war and the future of Iraq now comes into doubt.

Wolf Blitzer: Do you know where this group came from

Duncan: Its a mix of being a spillover from the Syrian Civil War and remnants of the Iraqi Insurgency

Wolf Blitzer: Does the President have a plan to deal with this

Duncan: He is meeting with his national security advisor, defense secretary currently and then the President and the Secretary of State will talk to the Iraqi Government on what steps the US can take to help them defeat this terrible group. One thing what is sure is that ground troops wont be used at this moment as neither the Iraqis want the US to use them or the US public wants to use them so they are discussing some other solutions they can take to defeat this terrible group.

BigVic
Australia

« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »

Fantastic timeline

I'd rather be living in this world than a President Trump timeline. Who won the OH-Senate Special Election after the resignation of VP Rob Portman.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:29 AM »

Breaking News: US to send Air Support to Iraq to help the Iraq defeat ISIS

Ridge: We have decided to send air support to Iraq to help  Iraq defeat ISIS. It is our belief that with our air support the Iraqi government will be not only able to stop ISIS from capturing anymore territory but also recapture lost territory and destroy ISIS as well
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2018, 03:57:03 AM »

Fantastic timeline

I'd rather be living in this world than a President Trump timeline. Who won the OH-Senate Special Election after the resignation of VP Rob Portman.

Thanks

The Special Election will take place during the 2014 midterm elections, but Mary Taylor was appointed to fill Portman's Senate Seat until then.

https://ballotpedia.org/Filling_vacancies_in_the_U.S._Senate
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »

Photos from President Romney's tour of the nation to promote Healthcare Reform

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:50 AM »

I obviously disagree with the healthcare reform, though it's better than the current situation ITTL. But anyhow, I'd probably be pretty supportive of Romney here because of the foreign policy.

Actually, it's funny- in 2012 I was a diehard Romney supporter (as diehard as an Israeli kid who doesn't really understand the American system can be), so I do wonder what would've happened to my own political views had Romney won. Would I still tack hard to the left (I was pretty far-right then, on foreign policy issues at least), or would I float to the center-right and stay there? Hm.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2018, 02:03:53 AM »

I obviously disagree with the healthcare reform, though it's better than the current situation ITTL. But anyhow, I'd probably be pretty supportive of Romney here because of the foreign policy.

Actually, it's funny- in 2012 I was a diehard Romney supporter (as diehard as an Israeli kid who doesn't really understand the American system can be), so I do wonder what would've happened to my own political views had Romney won. Would I still tack hard to the left (I was pretty far-right then, on foreign policy issues at least), or would I float to the center-right and stay there? Hm.

I think if Romney won and if he governed like he does in this TL you probably would be a Republican(Though still only the ones of the Romney kind and not the true conservative types) , but on the other hand if he governed like a Paul Ryan Type Republican your political views would still move to the left (though your opinion of the GOP would be higher due to Romney being way better than Trump)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:22 AM »

Former Presidents Obama, Bush and Clinton all endorse Healthcare Reform Plan, and call for bipartisianship to help fix this issue

Romney: As you may all know, the issue of healthcare reform has been discussed and debated for many years and decades but never was able to pass due to partisan divides on both sides of the aisle. Due to this any attempt at long-term reform would fail to pass and due to that, the problems in our healthcare system would get worse and worse. In my opinion, it is time that we address these issues now , and really the only way we can do that is by working bipartisanly to solve this issue and for that Reason, I want to thank Presidents Obama , Bush and Clinton for coming down here to help.

Obama: Thank You Mr.President for inviting me here , and I also want to thank you for your commitment to bipartisanship. While there may be many parts of this proposal I disagree with , the negatives, in my opinion, are not enough to outweigh the positives of making our prescription drugs more affordable, making sure someone with preexisting conditions can't be denied insurance due to that condition and improving our nation's primary care system to keep Americans more healthy in general .  Since this proposal would improve our nation's healthcare system overall, I will support this proposal and ask on members of both parties to do as well.

Bush: I also want to thank the President for inviting me back here today and it sure brings back old memories (Laughter). The reasons I fully endorse this bill are simple: 1 it improves primary care system so people dont get sick as often meaning that the costs of insurance wont be that high, 2. it increases competition which lowers prices and increases quality.  I also agree that we should come together as a nation to solve this issue because when we come together there is nothing we cant achieve.

Clinton: Thank You Mr.President for the Invitation. As you may know, all 3 of us tried to get major long-term healthcare reform passed in our presidencies, and even though we all got some reform passed, CHIP getting passed in 1997, Medicare Part D in 2003, and the Medicaid Expansion in 2010 , we all failed to get full reforms passed. This bill, in my opinion, will greatly improve the healthcare system , by making health insurance more affordable and more accessible in the long run. Due to this I am also endorsing this bill, and I call on members of both parties to do so as well, and even though there are parts where I disagree, the benefits outweigh the costs and for that reason I support this reform.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:25 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2018, 08:16:17 PM by Old School Republican »

Senate Also Passes Healthcare Reform Bill :

Changes from House Bill:

- Does not open up state lines

- Allows kids to stay on their parents health insurance plan till they turn 26

- Expands Health Coverage Tax Credits
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:01 PM »

President Romney Gives his State of the Union Address:

Romney: Thank You, Thank You. Mr. Vice President, Mr.Speaker, and members of Congress: the constitution prescribes that a President give a report about the state of the union and I am here to report to you that the state of our union is strong(Applause). Over the past year our economy has added 2.8 million new jobs(Applause) which was higher than the amount forecasts believed would be possible at the beginning of 2013(Applause). The person responsible for that number though isnt me , or anybody here in Congress, it is buisnesses all across America and consumers all across America responsible for that number(Applause). Like I said last year in this chamber, it was not Washington what made America so great it was the American people(Applause). Over the past year we have begun the process to give more power back to the people by giving individuals and small buisnesses tax cuts and by making it more difficult for harmful regulations to be implemented(Applause).

While we are making progress the job is not completed,as we still have many reform to make for our nation to be fully prosperous once again. Currently, our healthcare system is broken with people being denied healthcare due to pre-existing conditions, costs of prescription drugs increasing year after year, having a system which is mainly reacting to when people get very sick instead of a system which prevents people from getting sick in the first place, and due to that the costs of health insurance has gone up. After years of short-term solutions and partisan fights ,  I am pleased to know that both the house and senate have passed bipartisan bills which fix these issues for the long term, and if any of those bills come to my desk I will sign it(Applause). I also want to thank former Presidents Obama, Bush, and Clinton for publically supporting this reform as it makes it easier for a bipartisan solution to pass(Applause).

For this upcoming year some other goals our administration has is to reform our education system as our nation's future will be decided not by how well we do but how well our kids do(Applause). In today's globalized economy, our kids must not only compete with other kids in our own nation but around the world as well and do that we must reform our education system to deal with today's changing economy(Applause). High schools across the country must not only teach the subjects of Math, English, Social Studies and Science but Engineering and Technology, as well as those are the jobs of the future and our students should have basic knowledge of the content in those fields as well when they graduate high school(Applause).

The next thing we must reform is our higher education system because it is becoming more and more expensive year after year to attend college and for our kids to be successful in today's world. The first thing I propose we do is to give students who graduated in in the top 20%  of their class a full ride scholarship to any public university in their own state(Applause). The 2nd thing we must do is we will require all public universities to be transparent about career prospects of each of their degree programs, and in my belief any degree that does not meet the minimum standards for career prospects should have funds redirected from those programs to trade schools as even in today's economy we need people who are plumbers, electricians and it makes more sense for us to invest money in those areas than in areas which dont improve a person's career prospects(Applause).The last thing I propose we do is incentivize universities against raising tuition by rewarding public universities who work to lower tuition costs(Applause). These types of changes are needed to improve the quality of our universities and at the same time lower prices(Applause).

Now while we may be successful our entire domestic agenda passed , the number one job of a president is to keep Americans safe and I will do everything in my power to make sure that happens  (Applause) . For nearly the past 12 and a half year our nation has been fighting a war on terror to make certain that something like what happened on 9/11 never happens again(Standing Ovation) and I want to thank the brave members in our uniform who have kept our nation safe for all these years(Standing Ovation) .  Unfortunately, the job is not yet done, and recent developments in Iraq have shown that , as a terrorist group which is even more radical that Al-Quaeda and the Taliban is gaining a foothold there, and that makes our world unsafe. The more territory  they get means there will be a larger safe haven of terrorism in the world and I will do all in my power to destroy them. The first actions we have taken is to send our airforce there to help the Iraqi Government destroy this terrible group(Standing OVation).

I want to end tonight by praying for their safety and success, and let them know we are all praying for them(Standing Ovation). May God Bless our men and women in uniform , and may God Bless America(Applause).

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2018, 03:13:10 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2018, 03:20:56 AM by Old School Republican »

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Gives the Democratic Response to Romney's State of the Union :

Gillibrand: Good Evening, today I would like the speak to you about what my thoughts were about the President's speech tonight. As an American first , and a Democrat second I like the vast majority of Americans do want to see the President succeed as if he succeeds our nation will succeed and that means praising him when he takes the right actions and so far I do want to praise the President for not pursuing a partisan agenda so far and working with both Democrats and Republicans on the various issues facing our country, and one such issue is healthcare reform.

The President has worked bipartisanly to get health care reform passed but the solution he has proposed still only would solve the problem temporarily and not for a long term basis like the president says. Even if this bill passes many Americans in the country still will be unable to afford health insurance and in my opinion, until we get a bill passed which covers every American. In my opinion the best way to that is through a public option in where we can offer American a choice to opt in to a public plan and the advantage is the public plan unlike the private plan does not need to make a profit for it to work so the public plan will be able to cover people regardless if they have the money to pay or not.

Another issue the President talked about was the education and how we do need to fix it , and hes correct in our education system is broken but his solution is wrong. Instead of throwing high school level kids to learn college-level engineering in high school, we should change it so there math, science and English skills as studies show that unless students can show mastery in subjects such as math they wont be able to succeed in classes like engineering so in my belief it would be better if we focused on improving that first.

Lastly, I want to talk about is the state of our economy and while the President is right that the economy is improving its misleading just one year in for the current President to take all the credit , and then leave out areas where things arent improving. Currently, in the US Women dont make the same money as Men for Equal Work which is disgraceful and harms single mothers and their kids the most. Due to that the single mother has to work longer hours to get a good enough wage to take her of her kids , and that means she has less time to spend with her son our daughter which could impact their future negativity as well. Due to this I believe the President should endorse an equal pay for equal work law so half our nation doesnt get left out of the economic growth.

Thank You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2018, 03:37:15 AM »

Conference Committee Agrees to an agreement on Healthcare reform and Both House and Senate Pass It:

Details of the American Healthcare Reform Act of 2014:

- Promotes health care plans which have a good record on preventive health care, and on treating symptoms when they are mild rather than when they become severe by giving those companies tax deductions and have Medicaid funding go to those types of plans.

- Allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices, and allowing the importation of prescription drugs from Canada

- Bans denying someone coverage due to a preexisting condition

- Makes it Easier for people to buy Health Insurance across State Lines

- Giving Tax Deductions to Health Insurance Companies who move into counties where there is currently only one provider

- Allows kids to stay on their parents health insurance plan till they turn 25

- Expands Health Coverage Tax Credits for individuals

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2018, 02:06:58 PM »

This timeline is written very very well. Although I disagree with most policies like the healthcare reform, it reads realistic. Keep it going!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2018, 02:43:16 AM »

This timeline is written very very well. Although I disagree with most policies like the healthcare reform, it reads realistic. Keep it going!

Thanks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2018, 02:59:05 AM »

President Romney Signs Healthcare Reform Bill

Romney: Today is a historic day(Applause), as after decades of partisan battles, fierce debates on the issue of healthcare reform, and after decades of either failing to pass any reform or only getting minor reforms passed , we have finally successfully passed a long-term healthcare reform bill, and today we will officially turn that bill into law(Applause) . Thanks to this bill, no longer will people be able to be denied insurance due to a preexisting condition, have symptoms go untreated until you become really sick , and prices of prescription drugs and insurance itself getting more and more expensive year after year(Applause). I want to thank members of both parties in Congress who worked tirelessly to get this reform passed over the past 4 months and I also want to thank former Presidents Obama, Bush and Clinton for helping bring both parties together on solving this problem(Applause). Now we have spent enough time waiting for me to go sign this bill , so I am going to head over to the small desk there and sign the bill
(Romney signs bill)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »

Romney Approval Rating and other polls:

Romney's Approval Rating:

Approve: 65%(+4%)
Disapprove  29%(-3%)
Dont Know: 6%(-1%)

House Generic Ballot:

Republicans 54%(+2)
Democrats 42%(-1%)
Third Party/Dont Know 4%(-1%)

Do You Approve Of Healthcare Reform Bill:

Yes : 69%
No : 24%
Dont Know: 7%

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »

2014 Midterm Elections :  Donald Trump announces Gubernatorial Run

Donald Trump : What a great crowd we have here today. Thank You for coming to Trump Tower which is one of the greatest building in New York for this important announcement. Over the past 8 years New York has been run by the Democrats and let me tell you these 8 year have been a disaster for New York and if we allow the Democrats to have even one more term in office they will undo all the progress George Pataki and Rudy Giuliani made when they controlled things. Now our economy sucks compared to the rest of the nation , and unlike the rest of the Nation which is becoming great again due to Romney's great presidency so far , our state isnt becoming great due to disasters such as Cuomo destroying our state. Cuomo and the Democrats have brought crime, and corruption to this state and must be stopped. Unfortantunly my friend Rudy Giuliani decided not to run for Governor, who by the way would make an excellent governor if he ran , and also win means that our party has no one who can beat Cuomo this year so I have decided to run for Governor to Make New York Great Again.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »

Trump is going to lose big.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to: