The Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:54:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38
Author Topic: The Romney Administration  (Read 104826 times)
PRESIDENT STANTON II
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: September 01, 2018, 04:55:41 AM »
« edited: September 01, 2018, 05:24:34 AM by PRESIDENT STANTON II »

Portman is in a similar situation to how GHWB was in 1988, but stronger. I missed the Bruce Rauner option, but being a midwesterner as is the case with Portman, he brings nothing to the table. So my money is still on Baker or Haley, Portman is likely going to wait until after the DNC in St. Louis until he makes a vice presidential choice. Republican National convention location at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, you know it's open roof. You better hope there's no rain around the time. Wouldn't the stadium be ideal for the acceptance speeches? Actually the Izod Center would be preferable for the actual convention itself. Also I presume there will be debates, if so, any idea on locations and date's?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #751 on: September 01, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2018, 11:44:05 AM by Old School Republican »

How the hell did the Republicans win three consecutive gubernatorial races in Virginia and an indicted senator was re-elected?

They had Good candidates, not joke ones like they had in 2013 OTL or didn’t have Trump there to destroy the state party like in 2017 OTL . Also the year the Democrats really started to come back was in 2018 so the gop got lucky as if the gubernatorial election was held in 2018 they lose

And McDonnell was indicted due to his actions as Governor which took place in  2013 which doesn’t happen here since he wasn’t Governor in 2013 .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #752 on: September 01, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »

Portman is in a similar situation to how GHWB was in 1988, but stronger. I missed the Bruce Rauner option, but being a midwesterner as is the case with Portman, he brings nothing to the table. So my money is still on Baker or Haley, Portman is likely going to wait until after the DNC in St. Louis until he makes a vice presidential choice. Republican National convention location at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, you know it's open roof. You better hope there's no rain around the time. Wouldn't the stadium be ideal for the acceptance speeches? Actually the Izod Center would be preferable for the actual convention itself. Also I presume there will be debates, if so, any idea on locations and date's?

I wouldn’t say stronger than HW in 1988 unless your talking about polling during this date during that cycle .

I would say it’s similar to 1960,1988,2000 where fundamentals say the incumbent is favored  but the opposition can win if they run a very good campaign or the incumbent runs a bad one and they make the election more about the future than the current
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #753 on: September 02, 2018, 12:21:20 AM »

Rob Portman's Potential Running Mates(The Favorites)

Nikki Haley:

Marco Rubio:

Charlie Baker:

Bruce Rauner:

Brian Sandoval:

John Thune:

Jeb Bush:

Kelly Ayotte:

Portman/Baker or Portman/Sandoval
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #754 on: September 02, 2018, 01:01:37 AM »

Romney holds Press Conference after meeting with World Leaders to Discuss a Potential Climate Change Agreement

Media Member: What did you discuss in the meeting with world leaders

Romney: We talked about ways we can ensure that we can make affording Alternative Energy Cheaper, and better at the same time. We also talked about how we can implement policies in ways that encourage research and innovation in this area as well.

Media Member 2: What about setting emission limits

Romney: No we didnt bring it up

Media Member 2: Why

Romney: Because that wont do anything to actually solve the problem. The fact is if you want to reduce emissions you have to do this: implement policies which foster innovation, and reduce the prices of Alternative Energy. The reason Energy Companies continue to use traditional sources for energy is not because they want to make the Climate Change problem worse or because the Government hasnt placed a meaningless regulation against it it is because there is consumer demand for it. So the solution to changing that is not by placing a Government regulation against it , it is by making demand for Alternative Energy more than Traditional Sources and do that you will need to make Alternative Energy cheaper than Traditional Sources of Energy and more effective at the same time as well.

Media Member 3: Why wouldnt creating this regulation help

Romney: Because all that would do is increase the overall price of energy which would negatively impact the economy.
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #755 on: September 02, 2018, 02:55:23 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2018, 02:58:26 AM by SCOTUS Sherpa Kelly Ayotte »

who would win?

dozens of “Media Members” with journo degrees from prestigious universities

or

one mitt boi
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #756 on: September 02, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »

Gretchen Whitmer's Official VP Shortlist

Steve Bullock:

Strengths: Would put Montana in play and turn Oregon from Tossup to Lean D,  and his history of fighting money in politics could increase turnout among liberal and working-class voters.

Weaknesses: Would not help in the suburbs which are important in winning important swing states such as PA and VA

Claire McCaskill :

Strengths: Would help Whitmer win Missouri and potentially put more upper south states in play. Also would help the ticket among centrist voters

Weaknesses: Could reduce turnout among the Liberal Base

Natalie Tennant:

Strengths: Would help Whitmer do very well in Appalachia which could help her in many swing states.

Weaknesses: Only been in Senate for 3 and a half years , so she could be too much of a wildcard.

Anderson Cooper: so Paul Begala what do you think about this shortlist

Paul Begala: Its an excellent short list in my opinion as all three candidates all are the 3 candidates would help Governor Whitmer the most this November and all would make excellent Vice Presidents.

Cooper: What about other candidates that were left out Such as Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand and Deval Patrick.

Begala: They would make great VP as well but to be Vice President you have to win the election and I dont think any of them would help them win. In the case of Kirsten Gillibrand yes she would help in Pennsylvania but I really dont see how she would help in other swing states, and same with Cory Booker yes he would help secure NJ and maybe PA but you could argue hurt him in the Border states and Appalachia while not helping excite the base.

For example, if Mr.Portman sweeps the Interior West even with the exception of Nevada, Sweeps the South and The Border states and then wins Ohio and New Hampshire that puts him at 270 votes. Lastly with Governor Patrick yes he would also be a great VP but remember he wasnt that popular of a Governor and was succeeded by a Republican in Massachusettes, one of the most Democratic states in the country. So I think these picks are great and I hope we can see many of these other potential VP picks in the cabinet as for example, Governor Patrick would make an excellent Attorney General.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #757 on: September 02, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »

Vice President Portman has to pick a Woman as his Running Mate otherwise the Gender Gap gets too big.

I'm guessing Haley as VP and Rubio with his Hawkish Foreign Policy Credentials gets the Secretary of State Job if Portman is elected.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #758 on: September 02, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

Lightning Round: Make your bets on which of those 3 gets the Democratic VP slot!

I think McCaskill.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #759 on: September 02, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »

Lightning Round: Make your bets on which of those 3 gets the Democratic VP slot!

I think McCaskill.

I say Bullock. Whitmer will not opt for an All-Woman Ticket.
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #760 on: September 02, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »

Tennant would help Whitmer make inroads into Appalachia.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #761 on: September 02, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »

I think McCaskill.
I want Bullock. No idea who gets it tho.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #762 on: September 03, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »

Whitmer/McCaskill is undoubtedly the best; Whitmer needs someone with experience (check), a more moderate person (check), and could use someone from a rural place geographically close to the South (check).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #763 on: September 06, 2018, 02:46:09 AM »

Whitmer Selects Former Montana Governor and Current Senator Steve Bullock as her running mate:

Whitmer: Thank You, Thank You. One of the most important decisions a Presidential Candidate must make is selecting their running mate because that person could potentially be our nation's next Vice President. While there were many potential candidates that would have been a great Vice President, there was one who I believe stood above all of them and that person is Senator Steve Bullock. As Attorney General and Governor of Montana he has had a record of fighting against big money special interests in our politics and in support of reforming our campaign finance system so we can give power back to the people instead of it being controlled by special interest groups. Along with his record of standing up for the working class Americans is why I believe he would be a great Vice President of our nation. Now it is my honor to introduce to you the next Vice President of the United States Steve Bullock.

Bullock: I want to start of by thanking Governor Gretchen Whitmer for giving me this honor of having the chance of representing this great party of ours as its Vice Presidential Candidate in November and potentially having the honor of serving our great nation of our next Vice President. I also want to thank Governor Whitmer for repealing Michigan's right to work law which would have decimated working class people of Michigan and fighting for those people during her last 6 years as Governor of the state and that is why in November we must elect Governor Whitmer as our 46th President. It is time we move away from policies which neglect people just because of job type and instead embrace policies that would improve the lives of all our workers in this nation not just those in the top one third of the income spectrum and while yes they are important so is the other 2/3. To do that we must reform our campaign finance systems to give power back to the people, invest more in our nation's infrastructure to create jobs and improve our trade deals to benefit workers  Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #764 on: September 06, 2018, 04:02:44 AM »

Seems like a good choice.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #765 on: September 06, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »

Called it that Whitmer would select Bullock.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #766 on: September 06, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »

Congress overwhelmingly passes Ron Wyden's Wildfire Protection Bill and President signs it

Main Details:

- Allows the US Forest Service to use emergency funding for firefighting while protecting money for forest fire prevention work.

- Requires FEMA to help communities affected by forest fires.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #767 on: September 08, 2018, 02:27:16 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2018, 02:33:59 AM by Old School Republican »

2020 DNC: Steve Bullock's and Gretchen Whitmer's Acceptance Speeches

Excerpts from Steve Bullock's Speech:

Bullock: Thank You , Thank You. It is a great honor for me to be nominated as the Vice Presidential Candidate for this great party (Applause) and I accept your nomination(Applause). The reason our party has been so great is because of the tradition it has for fighting for the common man and proof of that is almost every law which passed to benefit the common man has been passed by our party such as Child Labor Laws, the Minimum Wage, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid(Applause) while the people who fought for special interests have almost always been the Republicans(Boos). In this election our nominee Governor Gretchen Whitmer has fought for the working people in our nation throughout her political life and that is why we must elect her as our next President.

Being Governor of Michigan gave Governor Whitmer the experience in dealing with these types of issues and that is the experience we need(Applause) in our nation. As governor, she helped repeal the terrible right to work law passed by the GOP(Boos) and also is in support of campaign finance reform which will take power away from the lobbyists and give it back to the people as its our people who should be deciding our election.(Applause). Another thing Governor Whitmer and I believe in is the idea that all Americans regardless of job title should have the chance to succeed and I can pledge to you we will work our hardest to make sure we can achieve that goal.

On the other hand the Republicans continue to claim the economy is doing greater than ever despite the fact that people are being left out of its growth(Boos) and continue to put policies of the 1/3 over the policies which benefit all of us(Boos). It is time that we come together in this moment and tell them no your wrong America does well when all of us does well and it is time that we move in a direction where we put policies in place tat do so(Applause). Yes that means expanding Medicaid, improving Free Trade Deals , improving antitrust laws and returning political power back to the people(Applause). Than You , May God Bless you and May God Bless America

Excerpts from Gretchen Whitmer's Speech:

Whitmer: Thank You , Thank You . Mrs.Chairwomen, delegates, and Democratic Primary Voters it is been an honor of receiving this great parties nomination for President and I accept your nomination (Applause). Over the past 244 years, our nation has made so much progress and that progress is what has made our nation so great over all these years(Applause) and we must not stop now(Applause). The first step to solving any problem is by accepting the fact that yes there are problems we must overcome and the problem we face is millions of blue collar workers and other workers in traditional industries getting pushed out of good-paying jobs due to automation, unions becoming less infleuntial and the bad parts of our free trade agreements and many more(Applause).

Now while the President and the Vice President may not be willing to confront this problem due to their belief that our nation is in better shape than it ever has been , it does not mean they arent problems(Appluase). The jobs of the President and Vice President is to represent all of us just not those who make up your voting base and I pledge to you that is exactly what I will do if I am elected President(Applause). While currently neglecting blue collar workers may seem to not negatively impacting the economy it will, because the more of them who lose jobs or become underemployed also means the less disposable income our nation will have meaning demand overall will decrease thus negatively impacting our economy.Now sure many of the jobs being replaced will not come back but we can still give those workers good paying jobs by Infrastructure  Projects, getting rid of terrible anti-union laws, increasing the minimum wage and that is what we must do as a nation(Applause).

Abroad we must finally start dealing with the issues in both Iran and North Korea as our current policies towards them arent working. To do that we must work with all our world allies to make sure we can denuclearize North Korea as if we come together both at home.

This is why this election is more than about ideology it is about can your do as you preach which many politicans have failed in for so many years.

Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #768 on: September 08, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »

Yeah, Whitmer/Bullock!! Both FFs. Curious to see some polling Wink
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #769 on: September 09, 2018, 01:54:19 AM »

Polls after DNC:

Gretchen Whitmer/Steve Bullock 238 49%
Rob Portman 204 46%

Key State Polls:

Florida: Portman 49%, Whitmer 46%
Pennsylvania: Whitmer 51% Portman 44%
New Jersey: Whitmer 47% Portman 45%
Virginia: Whitmer 48% Portman 46%
Missouri: Whitmer 50% Portman 45%
Wisconsin: Whitmer 49% Portman 46%

Kentucky: Portman 48% Whitmer 48%
Kansas: Portman 46% Whitmer 46%
Oregon: Whitmer 48% Portman 43%
Nevada: Whitmer 48% Portman 47%
West Virginia: Whitmer 48% Portman 47%

Montana: Whitmer 45% Portman 44%

John King: There has been a pretty healthy convention bounce for the Democrats and the fact is if you add up the states they are leading in currently they will win with 291 electoral votes as they are currently also leading in Maine's 1st district as well and Nebraska's 2nd.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #770 on: September 09, 2018, 11:45:27 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2018, 04:14:59 PM by Old School Republican »

Rob Portman's Official Vice Presidential Shortlist:

Nikki Haley:

Strengths: Could help the ticket do better with women and Asian voters, and do better in states such as FL, and VA,

Weaknesses: Does not help the ticket in Appalachia

Charlie Baker:

Strengths: Help ticket do better among moderate and even some liberal voters , would put NJ in the bag for the GOP and potentially put other North Eastern States in play.

Weaknesses: Could Alienate Conservative Base

Bruce Rauner:

Strengths: Could make IL more competitive, help ticket win states such as WI and MN.

Weaknesses: Adds no regional balance to the ticket
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #771 on: September 09, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »

Prediction: Nikki Haley
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #772 on: September 09, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »

Portman/Baker
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #773 on: September 09, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »

How would Nikki Haley help in WI?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #774 on: September 09, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2018, 01:40:23 PM by Old School Republican »

Solidify the WOW counties which could make a difference in the state if its close.

[author=Unbeatable Kevin Stitt link=topic=283155.msg6402790#msg6402790 date=1536515294]
According to OSR any Republican would help win Wisconsin.

Haley will almost certainly get the nod.
[/quote]

not really I think that choosing most of the other potential VP picks on the original list would not have helped
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies