The Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 05:10:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38
Author Topic: The Romney Administration  (Read 105294 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: September 17, 2018, 01:11:53 AM »
« edited: September 17, 2018, 01:57:23 AM by Old School Republican »

Key Moments of the 1st Presidential Debate

Important Moment 1:

Chris Wallace: As you both may know over the past 8 years we have signed numerous Free Trade Agreement Agreements such as LAFTA, TPP , US-Indian Free Trade Deal and some others. Due to past experiences with free trade deals such as NAFTA most Americans are skeptical about the fact that it could benefit the American economy in the long run and are worried in the long run could lead to more outsourcing. Vice President Portman if you are elected how would you ease the fears

Rob Portman: Well the American people are right to be skeptical due to past failures, so it is our job to continue to prove to them that they will work. One reason why these free trade deals unlike our past deals will be more skeptical is because we have put in provisions in the trade deals that dont allow our workers to be undercut by cheap labor and unfair trade practices. An example of this is in our trade deal with India we required them to increase their minimum wage by 10%, end not only our trade barriers we have had against them but also require them to remove any trade barriers they have had against us and require any product which is imported from India to follow US-style trade laws. This along with the fact that unlike last time we have more trading partners so we are not dependent on countries like China on trade as much as we were before which gives us more leverage when it comes to trade.

Wallace: Governor Whitmer

Whitmer: Well the American people are right that we do need to improve our free trade deals and while the Vice President says that they have added more provisions in the deals to make sure our workers dont get undercut is only partially true and that was only done with the Free Trade Deal with India and partially with LAFTA not with the TPP. Second, he brings up the fact that India were required to raise their minimum wage by 10% , and while that is still a good thing it still leaves us with a massive disadvantage as their daily minimum wage is only barely above our hourly still and in my opinion we should require it to have their daily rate by a half our even a third of our daily rates. Second, the Vice President brings up the fact that the trade deal bans child labor and the fact is it doesn't, it impose a 100% tariff on it. While that does double the price of the product there are still some products where despite the fact the price has been doubled its cheaper than the American made product so in my opinion, we should have made it clear that we would ban those types of imports.

Wallace: Vice President Portman

Portman: Well the fact is in trade negotiations you dont get everything we want and if we went by that standard we would have either had to have protectionist trade policies which leads to trade wars which negatively impacts our economy or we would have trade with countries like India but with their minimum wage being 10% lower and no restrictions agaisnt child labor instead of pretty strict ones we imposed.

Whitmer: Well, of course, we wouldn't get everything we wanted but we should have gotten those provisions we passed and in turn agreed to invest more money into their economy and their infrastructure.

Wallace: Moving on

Important 2:

Wallace: Moving on to our next topic which is Energy. If either of you are elected what would be your plan regarding our nation's energy policies. Governor Whitmer for example what would you differently than the President has done and Vice President has done, and Vice President why should we continue the President's energy policies. Governor Whitmer you first

Whitmer: While I 100% agree that we would move towards a path to energy independence, I also believe we should aggressively try to tackle the issue of climate change and I believe we can do both just not one of them. The fact is Alternative Energy is our future so it is my belief we should invest in Solar , Wind and Hydropower and other alternative energies along with help transition areas who are dependent on coal to alternative energy. While that transition would not be completed even if I serve a full 2 terms in office I believe it would put those areas on path that once we hit a time when coal is no longer needed their areas dont see their economies get hurt by that , while on the other hand if we dont do anything it would cause many people to lose their jobs. So the fact is we can move on a path of energy independence, tackle issue of climate change, improve the economy of Appalachia and the nation all at the same time.

Wallace: Vice President Portman

Portman: Well the fact is the Romney administration and if I win my administration has and will do that to. For example, we have increased funding for green infrastructure in Appalachia to help them with the transition, we have increased funding for research on how to make alternative energy more affordable for the average America and currently the President is meeting with world leaders to make this a world effort and if a deal is not passed by the time the President has left office I will make sure to get such a deal he is currently working on passed. The fact is we have done all of that along with rapidly moving on reaching the goal of North American Energy Independence . The fact is we dont need policies such as a Carbon Tax which all they do is increase the tax burden on working families in our nation which then hurts our economy overall.

Whitmer: The goal of a Carbon tax is to incentivize the use of alternative energies, and we can use the funding we receive from a Carbon Tax to do things like investing in green infrastructure and use to help areas with the transition away from traditional forms of energies.

Portman: The problem is a Carbon Tax wont persuade anyone to buy a car which is significantly more expensive than the car they have right now, or one which has less mileage. Second, it is impossible to help Appalachia transition if you are imposing a carbon tax now unless you want to give special exemptions which is unfair and wrong. The fact is the answer to every problem we face is not another tax or regulation, the answer is creating more affordable products and more taxes and regulations do the opposite.

Wallace: Moving on

Important Point 3:

Wallace: An important thing for the President to deal with is dealing with crises so if our nation falls into a recession which may happen as this economic period of growth is already the longest in history and eventually that will end so if either of you are elected how will you deal with that.

Portman: Well the first thing I would do is assess how severe is the recession and what were the underlying causes of the recession. If a recession is mild like the one we faced in the early 2000s I think the best action for the government is to pass a middle-class tax cut to spur growth to end the recession. If the recession is not mild we need to do that while also finding what the underlying cause of the recession was and immediately pass legislation to fix it. Then after some actions are taken I would propose legislation that would fix the underlying causes of the recession.

Wallace : Governor Whitmer

Whitmer: I think the best solution is to increase the amount the government is investing in the economy as the best way to end a recession is by putting people back to work which then will spur and increase in consumer demand and thus improve our economy. Along with a tax cut to the working families in this nation then I think we should deal with a potential recession just dine

Portman: Well the fact is when we took office in 2012 we faced a worse problem than what would confront us a few years from now and we solved it by reforming our broken tax code and making our regulatory state more efficient . That worked in both the Reagan and Romney years and will continue to work despite failures from their predecessors.

Whitmer: Well our plan worked in the FDR, Truman and Clinton years and will work again.

Wallace: That is it for this section
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #801 on: September 17, 2018, 06:14:32 AM »

It seems like a Debate and Whitmer Won
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #802 on: September 17, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

Polling after the first debate:

Gretchen Whitmer/Steve Bullock 236 49%
Rob Portman/Nikki Haley 235 48%

Florida: Portman 51%, Whitmer 45%
Pennsylvania: Whitmer 52% Portman 45%
New Jersey: Portman 48%, Whitmer 48%
Virginia: Portman 49% Whitmer 46%
Missouri: Whitmer 51% Portman 46%
Wisconsin: Whitmer 48% Portman 47%
Kentucky: Portman 50% Whitmer 47%
Kansas: Portman 48% Whitmer 46%
Oregon: Whitmer 49% Portman 44%
Nevada: Whitmer 49% Portman 48%
West Virginia: Whitmer 49% Portman 47%
Montana: Whitmer 47% Portman 46%
Maine: Whitmer 51% Portman 46%

John King: So currently if you give the tossup states that each candidate is leading into them the electoral college would stand at 262 to 262 an exact tie and the state of New Jersey which is also tied would decide the election. If this holds this election will be the closest election since 2000 which Bush only won 271-267 and by a little more than 500 votes in the deciding state.
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #803 on: September 17, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »

Loving this TL!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #804 on: September 17, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »

Thanks

This is a very good timeline. Looking forward to the election!

Thanks
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #805 on: September 17, 2018, 07:13:52 PM »

Portman!!!!
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #806 on: September 17, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »

UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #807 on: September 17, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »

I'm rooting for Portman but my money's on Whitmer
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #808 on: September 18, 2018, 01:32:42 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2018, 01:53:32 AM by Old School Republican »

Key Moments of the Vice Presidential Debate

Important Moment 1:

Judy Woodruff: If either of you are elected Vice President what role would you play in the administration and how does your past experience help you. Ambassador Haley you first

Nikki Haley: One area I believe my past experience would help me play a role is in foreign policy. As UN ambassador we were able to help create a coalition which was used to defeat ISIS and most importantly agreeing to work together in Iraq after the war to make keep the region stable. Some other things we got done in the UN was passing the strictest sanctions we have ever imposed on the  North Koreans and to do so we had to get the Chinese to agree to those as well. Lastly, my experience as Governor can help the administration pass their foreign policy agenda through Congress whether they are treaties or trade deals.

Steve Bullock: I dont believe its smart for the Vice President to be focused on a couple issues because that is the job of President's cabinet picks. The job of the Vice President is to be the President's top advisor, help pass his agenda through Congress, and help make sure everything runs smoothly at the White House. So to Ambassador Haley point, the fact is no matter who wins in November the President will be required to appoint a secretary of state whose job is to do much of what Mrs.Haley just mentioned.

Haley: Well, of course, I wouldn't focus only on foreign policy but in my opinion, it is also critical for the Vice President also to prioritize issues because some issues are more important than others. Also since  it is impossible for the President to deal with every issue at once, it is very important for the Vice President to help the President deal with the issues. For example, George HW Bush as Vice President helped a lot with shaping our nation's foreign policy which allowed Ronald Reagan to focus more on economic issues of the day and that allowed the Reagan administration to successfully turn our economic recession into a boom while at the same time dealing appropriately with the Soviet Union.

Woodruff: Moving on

Important Moment 2:

Woodruff: Moving on to North Korea. If either of you is elected what would be your policies towards them. Would you meet with him without preconditions or not

Bullock: My belief is the sanctions are not enough we need to do more than just make a small tweak.
On the other hand I don't approve the idea that there should be no diplomacy without preconditions as that is the only way we may eventually get a deal favorable to us.

Haley: I think negotiating without preconditions would be a mistake as that would give out a sign that we are willing to compromise on these issues. The fact is some issues are not up for debate or compromise and North Korea denuclearizing, drastically improving its human rights record are not up for debate and if the North Koreans are willing to do that we should pass stricter sanctions against them not weaker.

Bullock: Reagan if I would remind you also negotiated with the Soviet Union without preconditions as well and despite that he did not compromise on the concessions he demanded but the fact is without him meeting Gorbachev it never would have started the process for the US and the USSR to sign the INF treaty that Reagan wanted to get passed all along.

Haley: Well one difference is the Soviet Union were rational compared to the North Koreans and Gorbachev and  not even Brezhnev was as bad as Kim Jong Un is who is more like Stalin than either of Gorbachev or Brezhnev so getting these concessions are more vital in starting negotiations than starting negotiations with the Soviet Union was.

Bullock: Back then people certianly didnt feel that way of the Soviet Union

After Debate Polls:

John King: Nothing changed in our national poll or our battleground map but New Jersey is now giving Governor Whitmer a 1 point lead which means if she holds all the other states she is leading in she will win the Whitehouse.

PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #809 on: September 18, 2018, 03:49:46 AM »

What about doing a piece on the Al Smith Dinner? Add a bit of humor, it would likely be held on October 15, a night before the Hofstra University debate event. Also why is Colorado trending Republican? Wouldn’t it be trending Democrat since Bullock is from neighboring Montana? Kansas is never competitive, it’s as Republican as you can get, more so than Colorado would be.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #810 on: September 18, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »

What about doing a piece on the Al Smith Dinner? Add a bit of humor, it would likely be held on October 15, a night before the Hofstra University debate event. Also why is Colorado trending Republican? Wouldn’t it be trending Democrat since Bullock is from neighboring Montana? Kansas is never competitive, it’s as Republican as you can get, more so than Colorado would be.

I dont think I could write about the Al Smith Dinner since I am not that good at writing comedy.

Bullock has helped in Colorado, its just that Romneyism turned CO back into a pretty Republican state again but Bullock is keeping it within single digits.

Kansas is a special case this year(Sort of like Maryland in 1988 and Oregon in 2000) .
PRESIDENT STANTON II
Rookie
United States

« Reply #811 on: September 18, 2018, 04:33:16 PM »

Shouldn't Romney be out campaigning? & by doing so offering rebuttals to the argument's that Whitmer and Bullock are each making for change. He would by his presence make an effective argument for 'staying the course' in a more powerful way than Portman could. Portman is the future, but the Romney economic record is a living breathing reminder on why Portman would and could extend the 'peace and prosperity' paradigm for another 4 year's. Whitmer are trying to change the subject and they shouldn't be allowed to do that, not before they clarify how there policies would work better than the ones being promised by Portman and Haley.
PRESIDENT STANTON II
Rookie
United States

« Reply #812 on: September 18, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »

I mean you could use the Al Smith Dinner as a backdrop to a controversy created by Whitmer on issues of transgender rights along with something about planned parenthood and abortion. It could be known as the Al Smith Transdinner affair. It might be raised at the Hofstra University debate the following night, and takes the focus of the economy; - or + for either candidate no one can imagine. Just a suggestion.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #813 on: September 19, 2018, 02:19:47 AM »

Shouldn't Romney be out campaigning? & by doing so offering rebuttals to the argument's that Whitmer and Bullock are each making for change. He would by his presence make an effective argument for 'staying the course' in a more powerful way than Portman could. Portman is the future, but the Romney economic record is a living breathing reminder on why Portman would and could extend the 'peace and prosperity' paradigm for another 4 year's. Whitmer are trying to change the subject and they shouldn't be allowed to do that, not before they clarify how there policies would work better than the ones being promised by Portman and Haley.

He is campaigning and will ratch it up during these last few weeks as well. I will have a piece on Romney's campaign schedule and strategies as well(that will actually be the next piece of this TL).

For the Al Smith Dinner, I could write up a news summary of it without writing the actual jokes it self.

Lastly to let you and others know that by Friday or Saturday election night coverage will begin and conclude the next day.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #814 on: September 19, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2018, 12:52:38 PM by Old School Republican »

Romney to ratch up campaigning for Portman and the GOP

Wolf Blitzer: With the campaign heading into its final few weeks , the President will increase the amount of campaign stops he makes for Vice President Portman. Here is a few clips from his speech from his campaign rally in New Jersey today

Romney: Over the past 8 years Vice President Portman has done as good of a job as anyone could ask for , and all I know is that we wouldnt have had the successes we had without him being our Vice President. Without his help the Budget Reform Amendment may not have passed, Healthcare Reform may not have passed and he helped make sure that taxpayer money when spent is being spent efficiently as well.

Romney: If you hear the talk from the Democrats they claim the economic successes of the past 8 years shouldnt matter and claim if they had been in charge this nation would have been even better off. Well lets look at the record shall we, the Tax Bill only 3 Senate Democrats out of 43 then voted for it and both Governor Whitmer and Senator Bullock at the time opposed it, for LAFTA only 12 Democrats out of 43 then supported it and  Senator Bullock back at the time opposed it as well, and these are not the only policies were this is the case. The fact is while many Democrats to deserve credit for woking bipartisanly they clearly were a minority as most of the Democrats opposed our agenda including both Governor Whitmer and Senator Bullock. Yes the reason they opposed it is simple , they didnt believe our policies could work but guess what they did.

Are there still problems yes but we would have had a lot more if we didnt implement the policies we did and we cannot let the Democrats forget their opposition to all these policies.

Romney: Lastly I want to end by asking all of you to go out and vote because the only way we can win is not by packing these stadiums but by turning out to vote.

Wolf Blitzer: Romney plans to make a stop in every swing state and in some places two stops along with campaigning in other states such as Florida, Pennsylvania, Missouri and Oregon as well.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #815 on: September 21, 2018, 01:52:10 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2018, 02:01:04 AM by Old School Republican »

Key Moments of the 2nd debate:

Important Moment 1:

Anderson Copper: Lets go over to this gentleman here who has a question for Governor Whitmer

Audience Member 1: Governor Whitmer as someone who is a parent of someone who is a sophomore in college and is set to graduate in 2023 , the number one issue for me is the state of the economy. Over the past few years, our economy has boomed and I for obvious reasons want the economy to remain that year. Despite the fact that your opponent has been the Vice President in the Administration, I consider my self an undecided voter some question to you is why do you believe we need new leadership and if elected what would you do to make sure our economy continues to be in good shape.

Whitmer: Thank You for the question and as a parent to kids who will also be entering the job market in a few years I understand the need to make sure our economy stays strong. The reason I believe we need new leadership though is that if we want our economy to continue to grow we must continue to solve problems our nation faces. For example, in the long run if we dont come up with a solution to mitigate the effects of climate change it will create new health risks and make the standard of living for the average American lower. Also another problem we face is that blue-collar workers livelihoods being threatened due to automation and outsourcing. The fact is these problems eventually while not affecting us as a while now still affect millions of Americans and will affect us as a whole in the future.

Cooper: Vice President Portman

Portman: Firstly I want to wish your son best luck for the future and let him know that we all are rooting for his success. Now to get back to what Governor Whitmer just said as she and the Democrats continue to dodge the question about economic growth in the past 8 years. They continue to claim that is not important as that type of growth would have happened no matter who was president and all I have to say to that is that would be true but its not because only 3 senate Democrats supported the Tax Reform , only 12 senate democrats supported LAFTA , and more than half the Democrats opposed Healthcare reform and Governor Whitmer opposed all 3. Now the reason why they helped the economy grow is simple : The Tax Reform increased the amount of disposable income American which means they have more money to spend on our economy, expansion of free trade increases competition and lowers prices which leads to an increase in consumer demand as well, and the reduction of costs of Healthcare means that Americans can spend that money they used on Healthcare on the things they want to spend it on and all of these things helped grow the economy . Governor Whitmer during the debate for all these policies issued a statement opposing all these things so that is the reason she is trying to run away from any debate on the state of the economy .

Whitmer: Like I said in the last debate the trade deal didnt do enough to make sure our workers dont get their wages undercut in the long run so that is why I opposed it now but since it is in place I wouldnt get rid of it but I believe we do need to renegotiate parts of the deal to make it is better.  For Healthcare Reform the bill should have introduced a public option so we can have universal healthcare and better competition at the same time.

Portman: Well the fact is the media wage has signifantly gone up since we have signed those trade deals so it is just wrong that it has underuct workers. Also the fact is Democrats for my whole life have run on a platform of making Healthcare more affordable and the fact is they always failed at doing that while our administration succeeded in passing a bill which does exactly that.

Important Moment 2:

Audience Member 2: Vice President Portman if elected what policies would you implement which would guarantee that we could be energy independent and mitgate the effects of climate change.

Portman: Well the first step we have to do is continue to increase domestic oil production and working with Canada to have both our nations sell more and oil with each other instead of rely on middle eastern oil. We must combine this with the expansion of Green Infrastructure projects , investing in research, getting rid of the unnessary regulations that limit the growth of green energy and work with the world to do all of those things. The fact is this issue is just not a US issue its a Global issue and we all need to work togehter to solve this problem

Cooper: Governor Whitmer

Whitmer: Well the first thing we need to do is aceept the fact that a transtition to green energy is the best way to make sure we are energy independent. Now the way we do that is by first reducing oil production in states which have robust economies while helping states . On the other states who are reliant on coal mining and other jobs that increase the production of traditional energy sources must be given a time to transition becuase if we dont it would be devasting for the economy so my plan is to let them have a longer time period of when they will have to move away from Traditional Energy Sources. The fact is Climate Change is a problem that threatehns the livelihood of everoyne on this planet and we must work to mitgate that even if yes it means more regulations on corporations.

Portman: The reason people do not buy things like electric cars as much as gas-powered ones is because they have less milage and cost more so the goal should not to limit gas-powered cars but to increase the mileage and reduce the price at the same time so it as affordable as any regular car would be.

Whitmer: We have no choice but to take action on this issue and the fact is we need to start now as the consequences of doing nothing are too high .

Cooper: Ok moving on as we have more questions

Important Moment 3:

Audience Member: This is a question for both candidates. What are some past examples that where you can claim you went against your parties establishment and what would you do differently then them.

Cooper: Since this is our last question there will be no rebuttals just an answer from both of you

Portman: One example is that as Vice President I came out in favor of gay marriage despite many in the part opposing it at the time as I believed it was the right thing to do and I am happy that I was able to lead many in the party to change their minds on the issue. Another issue is that I have fought against pork barrel spending all of my career even if it was something supported by speical intrests in my party.

Cooper: Governor Whitmer

Whitmer: One issue is standing up for all working class people no matter what job profession they are in . An unfortunate thing in politics today is that both parties believe that workers in job fields they dont like should not be supported and by belief is that is wrong as workers no matter what field they are in deserve to be treated fairly and have good job security.

Polling after Debate:

Rob Portman/Nikki Haley 241 49%
Gretchen Whitmer/Steve Bullock 226 48%

John King: Well Kansas has moved into the GOP column again as the state looks like is coming home to the GOP these  past few weeks.Arkansas is now safe GOP as Democrats have all but given up on the state and the national shift has made Missouri a tossup again

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #816 on: September 21, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »

Key Moments of the 3rd debate:

Dickerson: Governor Whitmer you have said on the campaign trail that you dont believe that current US policy towards Iran has not worked.Why do you believe that

Whitmer : Well the fact is for decades now we have believed that sanctions alone could stop the Iran Nuclear Program and the fact is despite all those sanctions Iran is still able to work on developing a nuclear weapon so in my opinion, we have to try something different. This does not mean we have to get rid of the Sanctions but in my opinion, we should start to open up talks where we can agree to stop many of the sanctions for the end to their nuclear program and the allowing in of US and UN inspectors every years to check if they have held their end of the deal. Remember President Reagan negotiated with the Soviet Union an enemy far more powerful than the Iranians and due to that he was eventually able to strike a deal with them which results in the number of nuclear weapons they have be reduced substantially.

Portman: The problem is the Iranians are not actually willing to do that and negotiating with them gives them legitimacy they do not deserve. The fact is the President and if I am elected have also been willing to drop sanctions but only if they agree to these nonnegotiable terms: end their nuclear program, destroy their offensive military capabilities, agree to periodic inspectors, end all support of Hamas and other groups like them. The reason we have sanctions is so we can make that alternative look like the better scenario then continue down this terrible path.

Whitmer: Without negotiating though how will you get any of that. The fact is for decades we have believed that sanctions would get them to comply with the demands you have listed, but the fact is it still hasnt come true after all these years and wont come true in the future. So as hard as it is we may have to sit with them and carve out a deal which accomplishes all the goals you just listed.

Portman: Well the problem with negotiations is the fact is that if it goes to that point we will have to give up more than just sanctions and in my opinion that would not be an acceptable solution.

Dickerson: Moving on

Whitmer: As long as the main goals are met yes we may have to give up more but it is worth it.

Dickerson: Moving on

Important Moment 2:

Dickerson: As you may know the North Koreans unlike the Iranians have already gotten nukes and like them are very belligerent. If you are elected what would be your solution to deal with them

Portman: The main problem with dealing with North Korea for so long was the fact that that the Chinese Government protected them from so long. After many years the Chinese have finally also agreed that North Korea must be stopped and have agreed to many strict sanctions on them as well which increaes pressure on North Korea.

Whitmer: I actually agree with the Vice President here on the issue as if you remember during the Korean War we were on the verge of liberating all of North Korean and reuniting the Pennsuialsa but what stopped it was the entrance of China into that war which then caused a stalemate which is plaguing the region to this day.  The fact is we have to work with our allies and the Chinese if we want to stop the North Koreans from getting more powerful.

Dickerson: So what would be your strategy to getting the Chinese to working with us

Portman: Trade Pressure

Whitmer:  I agree

Dickerson: Ok lets move on then

Important Moment 3:

Dickerson: Now lets move on to Pakistan a nation where we have cut of relations with over this past decade. In response to that Pakistan has become far more belligerent against the US , so if either of you are elected what would be your solution in dealing with them.

Portman: Well first we have to understand why we cut of relations with them in the first place. The reason is that if you remember Bin Laden hid in Pakistan , much of the attacks on our troops were attacked by fighters from Pakistan and the fact they fund terrorism against India. Now the fact is India unlike Pakistan is one an actual democracy, is committed to fighting terrorism and is someone who we should be allies with all together so in my opinion, it was a no-brainer choosing India over Pakistan. The best way to deal with them is simple, it is by improving our ties with India , putting pressure on the Pakistanis by imposing strict sanctions against them .

Whitmer: I definitely agree with that treaty with India, as India can be our true friends so it made all the sense in the world. Where I disagree is the fact that he has claimed in the past that he wants to recognize Kashmir as part of India. To me that would be a mistake as that could increase the chances of war and that is something we dont want. In my opinion the best way to deal with them is by increasing our ties with India in a different way which then should show them that they wouldnt even think of attacking India Again.

Portman: People said the same thing about recognizing all of Jerusalem as part of Israel and we did that and that hasnt lead to war either. The fact is it was the correct decision to make and so would this one as Kashmir is Indian land as well.

Whitmer: Well, in my opinion, that is an issue I think that has to be handled internally not by allies.

Portman: The reason we have alliances is to stand with our allies and for them to stand with us during times of foreign policy crises and Kasmir is one.

John King: The Polls now once again show a tie nationally but the map itself hasnt changed much.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #817 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »

Wolf Blitzer and John King analyze Vice President Portman' and Governor Whitmer's path to victory with less than a week out till election day.

Wolf Blitzer: Lets go over to John King who will explain to us the potential paths to 270 both candidates have.

John King: First lets start by looking at the results of the last election the Democrats won 2008. Now lets look at the background map this year and you can see that there are many states this year that Obama lost in 2008 that Governor Whitmer may win. The polls currently have Vice President Portman up 1 point nationally and most polls have race between a 2 point Whitmer win over a 3 point Portman win. So if either of those scenarios happens all of these swing states will be won by one candidate. So lets assume the popular vote is tied what are some states we can assign to each candidate as states we think tile to one candidate or the other.

We believe that out of these swing states Kentucky and Virginia are favorable to Vice President Portman so if we give those states to the Vice President that would give him 262 Electoral Votes.

On the other hand, we believe that the states of Missouri and West Virginia are favorable to Governor Whitmer and if we give those states to her she will have 241 Electoral Votes.

Now all the Vice President needs to do is win either New Jersey or Wisconsin and if he does that he will be the next President of the United States. So if Governor Whitmer wants to win she must win both states and if she is able to that that will give her 265 Electoral Votes.

Now there are three states left on the map Nevada, Montana and Maine. Nevada alone would put Governor Whitmer above the top or a combination of the other two. Vice President Portman, on the other hand, must win Nevada in this case and either Montana or Maine.

Wolf Blitzer: What do the polls say about which ones of these states are most likely to go to either candidate

King: The Poll say that Portman is doing the best in Nevada and Whitmer is doing the best in Montana and if you do that look here the Electoral vote would be tied 268 to 268 and little Maine could decide the whole thing.

Wolf Blitzer: In that case this election would be even closer than 2000 electorally.

King: Yup it would be the closest since 1876 which the difference between Republican Hayes and Democratic Tilden was only 1 electoral vote.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #818 on: September 21, 2018, 03:06:01 PM »

The Election won't be called until into the wee hours on Wednesday if it's that close. 2000 all over again. Whitmer might ask for numerous Recounts if she loses.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #819 on: September 22, 2018, 03:27:03 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2018, 12:35:33 AM by Old School Republican »

CNN - America's Choice 2020 (Exit Polls)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9xY_CoC_M

Wolf Blitzer: We will head over to John King who will show us the results of our exit polls

John King: Wolf here is what our exit polls are saying

Direction of Country:

Right Track: 62% ; Portman 71% ,Whitmer 28%
Wrong Tack : 38% ; Whitmer 83% , Portman 16%

Race:

Whites: 68% ; Rob Portman 58% ,Gretchen Whitmer 41%
African Americans: 12% ; Gretchen Whitmer 87%, Rob Portman 13%
Hispanics: 12% ; Gretchen Whitmer 56% , Rob Portman 43%
Asians: 5% ; Rob Portman 55% , Gretchen Whitmer 44%
Other 3%: Gretchen Whitmer 61% , Rob Portman 38%

Males: 48% ; Rob Portman 55% , Grethcen Whitmer 44%
Females: 52% ; Gretchen Whitmer 54% , Rob Portman 45%

18-29: 18% ; Gretchen Whitmer 53%, Rob Portman 46%
30-44: 26% ; Gretchen Whitmer 50%, Rob Portman 49%
50-64: 40% ; Rob Portman 53% , Gretchen Whitmer 47%
65+ : 16%  ;  Rob Portman 50% , Grethcen Whitmer 50%

President Romney Approval Ratings:

Approve: 58%  ; Rob Portman 84% , Gretchen Whitmer 15%
Disapprove: 42% ; Gretchen Whitmer 96% , Rob Portman 4%
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #820 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »

Good Luck Portman...
Junior Chimp

« Reply #821 on: September 22, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »

President Portman you should have said. Pretty inconceivable that a Republican Presidential Candidate loses the Election if he gets over 40% of the Hispanic Vote looking at the Exit Polls. It is in fact demographically not possible.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »

President Portman you should have said. Pretty inconceivable that a Republican Presidential Candidate loses the Election if he gets over 40% of the Hispanic Vote looking at the Exit Polls. It is in fact demographically not possible.
Looking at those exit polls Portman leads 50-49. While it's certainly good for him it's not a certainty.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #823 on: September 22, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »

Looking at those exit polls Portman leads 50-49. While it's certainly good for him it's not a certainty.
Hmmm, he gets 13% of AA and 43% of Hispanics. These Numbers are almost as good as GWB in 2004.
Then these Exits are "Nationally" and if you get 43% of Hispanics then FL, CO, NM, NV, CO are probably all gone for Whitmer.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #824 on: September 22, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »

Hmmm, he gets 13% of AA and 43% of Hispanics. These Numbers are almost as good as GWB in 2004.
Then these Exits are "Nationally" and if you get 43% of Hispanics then FL, CO, NM, NV, CO are probably all gone for Whitmer.

Bush barely won NM in 2004 and NM's demographics were much more favorable to the GOP  then they are today(and Bush still did better with Hispanics than Portman did).

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies