Polish Politics and Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Polish Politics and Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54
Author Topic: Polish Politics and Elections  (Read 104435 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: October 20, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »

Places where Konfederacja had higher support are pretty weirdly spread over the map.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« Reply #376 on: October 20, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2019, 01:24:08 PM by Heat »

Places where Konfederacja had higher support are pretty weirdly spread over the map.
I think most fall into three categories:

1) constituencies already inclined towards nationalist parties - Podlasie, Malopolska, Podkarpacie, Lublin
2) constituencies containing cities with universities, which can be expected to have a higher percentage of Extremely Online Korwinista incels - Warsaw, Krakow, Lublin, Wroclaw, the Silesian constituencies
3) constituencies where they're better organised than usual - in Piotrkow Trybunalski, the lead candidate was a Korwinista from Belchatow who'd previously run for mayor in 2018 and done quite well, and also campaigned on rejecting the EU climate package, in Gdynia and Bydgoszcz Dziambor and Sypniewski actually understand what a campaign is, and in Konin they got 14% in some random powiat because Ruch Narodowy have apparently swarmed the place. I think this may be the case in Lubuskie as well, but I can't remember any details so don't take my word for it.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #377 on: October 20, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »

I think most fall into three categories:

1) constituencies already inclined towards nationalist parties - Podlasie, Malopolska, Podkarpacie, Lublin
2) constituencies containing cities with universities, which can be expected to have a higher percentage of Extremely Online Korwinista incels - Warsaw, Krakow, Lublin, Wroclaw, the Silesian constituencies
3) constituencies where they're better organised than usual - in Piotrkow Trybunalski, the lead candidate was a Korwinista from Belchatow who'd previously run for mayor in 2018 and done quite well, and also campaigned on rejecting the EU climate package, in Gdynia and Bydgoszcz Dziambor and Sypniewski actually understand what a campaign is, and in Konin they got 14% in some random powiat because Ruch Narodowy have apparently swarmed the place. I think this may be the case in Lubuskie as well, but I can't remember any details so don't take my word for it.

Basically nailed it, and as for the RN stronghold in Wielkopolska it was Środa Wielkopolska where there is active nationalist organisation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #378 on: October 20, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »

That's because they had such a remarkably even distribution of support. Nowhere where they really stood out negatively or positively: very unusual.
Heat

« Reply #379 on: October 20, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2019, 05:51:51 PM by Heat »

That's because they had such a remarkably even distribution of support. Nowhere where they really stood out negatively or positively: very unusual.
That has always the case when Korwin-Mikke is involved. The stereotype (rooted in fact) is that he performs best with young men with an... unduly high opinion of their strength and intelligence, and that's not a geographically constrained constituency, particularly now that the internet allows for far-right propaganda to be spread so much more widely.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #380 on: October 25, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »

Extremely important news, everyone!

A so-called "Towarzysztwo Patriotyczne" (basically a "Patriotic Association"), that I've never heard of before, filled a formal motion before the Supreme Court to nullify electoral result of SLD. The motion is motivated primarily by them "defending the achievements of the Red Army".

What a twist.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »

A so-called "Towarzysztwo Patriotyczne" (basically a "Patriotic Association"), that I've never heard of before, filled a formal motion before the Supreme Court to nullify electoral result of SLD. The motion is motivated primarily by them "defending the achievements of the Red Army".

What a twist.

To be honest similar attempts are not rare, as far as I remember earlier this year some "patriots" wanted to delegalizacje SLD because <something>.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #382 on: October 26, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »

What a twist.

To be honest similar attempts are not rare, as far as I remember earlier this year some "patriots" wanted to delegalizacje SLD because <something>.

I believe it was something something General Berling this time.
Heat

« Reply #383 on: November 04, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »

Biedron seems to have just confirmed he will be the left's candidate for President in May. The next six months are going to be absolutely unbearable.

kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #384 on: November 04, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »

Biedron seems to have just confirmed he will be the left's candidate for President in May. The next six months are going to be absolutely unbearable.

Ooooor he is trying to somehow outmaneuver Czarzasty and co. as there were gossips about other left candidates (eg. Zandberg, but I do not treat that seriously). He just wanted to be first.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #385 on: February 05, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »

Someone help me do the monarchist in confederation want to set up a polish monarchy?
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #386 on: February 05, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »

Someone help me do the monarchist in confederation want to set up a polish monarchy?

Well, to be honest Polish monarchists are rather unusual in comparison with some western European monarchist movements as most often they do not really set as a priority some political interst of former royal family - as Poland do not have one. They rather focus on traditionalist vision of the world, anti-democratic and reactionary values. A lot of talking about Tradition, Faith, Family, Natural Law etc. but they not set as part of their main political issues introduction of monarchy. I would say they are mostly socially and aesthetically monarchist, they like monarchy because it fits their political and social views but due to various reasons they do not focus on that issue in their political activity. 
Flyersfan232

« Reply #387 on: February 22, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »

How possible is it that the president wins in the first round?
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:35 PM »

How possible is it that the president wins in the first round?

Not likely, at least in my opinion. But the campaign is only beginning so it might change.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #389 on: March 27, 2020, 04:16:33 AM »

PiS as for now do not plan to delay the elections and they say that they will decide after Easter. Although the majority of Poles in polls say that they would like to have presidential election in some more distant future than May 2020, PiS pretty much want to keep current date.

I guess it might be connected to the fact that PiS generally have the most motivated electorate and it pretty much is visible through fresh electoral poll by Kantar. In that poll Duda wins in the first turn with 65% if elections will be held "during the epidemic" and get "only" 44% if elections are going to be hold "after the epidemic'
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2020, 04:37:32 AM »

And that night while Sejm and Senat were voting on so called "anti-crisis" package (in Polish this is commonly called "tarcza antykryzysowa" which is follow-up to the Polish common name for missile defense system, "tarcza antyrakietowa") PiS decided to change at 3 at night electoral code, yet again ignoring Sejm legal rules for proceeding with such changes.

They introduced at first glance positive changes - they introduced mail voting for people over 60 and those who would have quarantaine. You may think that there is nothing political in that. But at the same time they removed mail voting possibilities for people who are voting while living/staying in foreign countries and ships. And the details of processing those mail votes would be the competence of government, not Electoral Commission (they will only be able to give their supportive opinion).

Legal basis for introducing this with relief package for employers is frankly speaking weak as they introduced changes to the electoral code in shorter period than required by rules). PO day earlier during the vote on changes in the Sejm rules wanted to implement changes which will not allow for changes in Constitution or Electoral Code via electronical voting - which now Sejm wanted to use (and had a lot of problems as voting system had major problems). But Left and PSL supported PiS this time, probably wanted to get this issue, at that point pretty harmless, get done fast.

Generally opposition now is back with infighting and PiS is cruising fast to winning elections with Fidesz-style result.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2020, 04:42:46 AM »

Another idea from the PiS camp: all voters will be voting via mail and only via mail but the date of the elections stays the same. No polling stations open at the day of the elections. This combinations around electoral code and actually having election in early May caused tensions between vice-PM Gowin, his satellite party Porozumienie on the one side and the rest of ruling camp on the other.

Gowin threatened that he will not vote on any further changes and he opposes having elections during epidemics. On the other hand Kaczyński allegedly said that they will kick him out of the govt if he will not support changes. But as we know from the past Gowin usually is not really a type of fighter and probably will sooner or later retreat.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »

I am not really shocked that Poland do not succumb to the pan-European trend of ordinary political life freeze in times of coronavirus. Vice-PM Jarosław Gowin resigned from his post (and from his ministerial post) due to lack of acceptance from the PiS side for his ideas on how to solve the whole elections issue.

His party Porozumienie will stay in the govt and Jadwiga Emilewicz should replace Gowin as vice-PM. Still between Gowin and Kaczyński probably we will have very tense period.

What is more important Gowin and some of his allies abstained or voted against during today vote on introducing to the parliament session agenda voting on PiS project of changes to the act on mail voting which will introduce mail voting as only possible way of voting in next presidential elections.

Because of that and that one PiS MP had some technical issues with voting PiS lost crucial for them voting. Opposition already had claimed victory but soon PiS decided to re-vote on that issue due to mentioned before error.

Circus, as always.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2020, 02:00:00 AM »

sh**t is becoming real. Results obviously are distorted by absurdly low number of people who are willing to take part in the elections. To be honest Kosiniak-Kamysz is coping with coronacrisis pretty well, what you cannot say about other politicians. His pretty down-to-earth and rather conciliatory approach is working well now, he is also a medicine doctor so he is a little bit more competent in medical sphere than other candidates - which obviously in times of epidemics is beneficial. But, at least in my opinion, more important is pretty bad campaign of Kidawa-Błońska, they (I mean PO) clearly have no idea of what to do now. Most of the politicians obviously officially "halted" their campaigns but it is obviously fiction while they are still in media and parliament. Still, Biedroń is almost non-existent right now.

Other: today there is 10th anniversary of Smoleńsk air disaster.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2020, 03:00:25 AM »

Other: today there is 10th anniversary of Smoleńsk air disaster.

Oh wow, it is. God I feel old, I distinctly remember when it was the news of the day.
Epaminondas

« Reply #395 on: April 13, 2020, 07:02:30 AM »

On the topic of the Smolensk air disaster, I hear there's a lot of discontent at PiS for another proof at their hypocrisy after 50 party members casually overlooked their own stay at home rules to celebrate.

This picture made the rounds of my Polish friends:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #396 on: April 13, 2020, 07:08:43 AM »

On the topic of the Smolensk air disaster, I hear there's a lot of discontent at PiS for another proof at their hypocrisy after 50 party members casually overlooked their own stay at home rules to celebrate.

who are the people in the photo, from left to right? Some of those faces look familiar.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »

who are the people in the photo, from left to right? Some of those faces look familiar.

Starting from the left:

PM Mateusz Morawiecki
vice-PM Jacek Sasin
Marshal of the Sejm Elżbieta Witek
Minister od Defence Mariusz Błaszczak (behind)
MEP Joachim "Jojo" Brudziński
Jarosław Kaczyński, MP
not quite sure

and yeah, joke is based on height of Kaczyński, comedy gold indeed
Epaminondas

« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2020, 10:08:22 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 11:13:07 PM by Epaminondas »

Isn't it obvious the joke isn't just based on his height?

It's a satirical reference to the 2 metre social distancing requirement (among other restrictions) imposed by PiS to 40 million Polish citizen without any valid legal reason since no state of emergency has been declared.

Yet, as in all good thug states, the bosses of PiS themselves can do as they please and travel around Poland celebrating anniversaries while holding hands.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #399 on: April 27, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »

I will elaborate it later but PiS is close to loosing control over the Sejm rn
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length