Polish Politics and Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Polish Politics and Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Polish Politics and Elections  (Read 104441 times)
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2020, 09:59:27 AM by Heat »

Figure I might as well start this, for all the good it'll do me. These will take place at some point in November, unclear when - legally it should be the 11th but since that is Independence Day and the 100th anniversary too, it's likely it will be moved by a week in either direction.

For context: there is a new electoral law, which reforms the National Electoral Commission (PKW) so that seven out of nine of its members will now be elected directly by the Sejm (with the largest party in the Sejm automatically receiving the right to appoint three) with only two appointed by the Constitutional Tribunal and the Supreme Court, after the 2019 parliamentary election. Beforehand the Constitutional Tribunal, the Supreme Court, and the Chief Administrative Court appointed three members each. It also:

- extends the period between local elections from 4 to 5 years
- introduces a two-term limit for mayors (counting from 2018)
- limits FPTP to municipalities with 20,000 or fewer inhabitants (beforehand FPTP was used everywhere except city-counties which still used PR)
- shrinks the constituencies for regional assemblies (they could be anything from 5 to 15 seats before, now they can be as small as 3 seats with the maximum being just 7)
- severely curtails postal voting (limiting it to disabled people, this is actually a compromise position since PiS wanted it abolished entirely)
- hilariously, changes the definition of a spoiled ballot - only ballots where the voter had put an X next to one candidate were considered valid with any other marks automatically thrown out, now any ballot where the voter put 'at least two intersecting lines' next to their candidate's name is valid, and additional marks will be valid. The current president of the PKW fears that this will make vote counting slower since ballots where the voter's intention might not be easily discerned will still be considered valid.

In actual news:

- The already deeply, deeply stupid campaign in Warsaw just got even more stupid as Janusz Korwin-Mikke, known to you all as that Polish MEP who keeps getting in the international news for saying stupid sexist sh**t, has resigned from the European Parliament and announced that he is considering running for mayor of Warsaw. There goes any remaining chance of the national media covering literally any other city, lol.

- PiS are trying to find a candidate for mayor of the city of Słupsk (north-west) to go up against Robert 'Flawless Beautiful Hope of the Left' Biedroń and are considering Piotr Müller, deputy minister of science. PiS really want to knock off Biedroń in the hopes of neutralising him as a presidential contender in 2020.
Heat

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »

Ah damn, I hadn't known that was there
Heat

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »

Fears of a looming PiS government monopoly as a result of the recent reform law's passage and other steps has degenerated into sky-is-falling craziness. The electoral reform could (and let me re-emphasize could) enable a single party (i.e., PiS) to dominate the PKW if (and let me re-emphasize if) PiS winds up the preponderant party after 2019 legislative elections. Tall mountains to climb, and even if somehow the peaks are reached, the view will certainly not be that of dictatorship or one-party state terror.

My, how often have I heard the word 'slippery slope' or 'slide to authoritarianism' to describe anything Poland does if there's a Kaczynski anywhere near the Pałac Prezydencki. To me, the hysteria looks more like reflexive anti-Polish poison from Euro-centered apparatchiks fearful of losing their grip, post Brexit. Yet it's having a very hurtful effect on the image of the nation and on its people, as this campaign has caught on worldwide. Poland should be used to attempts by now to delegitimize it, delegitimize its history. But I'm not seeing any intelligent effort from the government to counter this slander. 

Poland itself is absolutely beautiful and the system is 100% democratic. And its system is certainly far more accepting of contrary viewpoints and free thought than the majority of its critics.
Please do not copy-paste TVP Info articles without giving credit, there are copyright issues with that sort of thing.
Heat

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »

Fears of a looming PiS government monopoly as a result of the recent reform law's passage and other steps has degenerated into sky-is-falling craziness. The electoral reform could (and let me re-emphasize could) enable a single party (i.e., PiS) to dominate the PKW if (and let me re-emphasize if) PiS winds up the preponderant party after 2019 legislative elections. Tall mountains to climb, and even if somehow the peaks are reached, the view will certainly not be that of dictatorship or one-party state terror.

My, how often have I heard the word 'slippery slope' or 'slide to authoritarianism' to describe anything Poland does if there's a Kaczynski anywhere near the Pałac Prezydencki. To me, the hysteria looks more like reflexive anti-Polish poison from Euro-centered apparatchiks fearful of losing their grip, post Brexit. Yet it's having a very hurtful effect on the image of the nation and on its people, as this campaign has caught on worldwide. Poland should be used to attempts by now to delegitimize it, delegitimize its history. But I'm not seeing any intelligent effort from the government to counter this slander.  

Poland itself is absolutely beautiful and the system is 100% democratic. And its system is certainly far more accepting of contrary viewpoints and free thought than the majority of its critics.
Please do not copy-paste TVP Info articles without giving credit, there are copyright issues with that sort of thing.

What are you talking about? What is "TVP"?
hahahahahahahahaha
Heat

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »

What are you talking about? What is "TVP"?
hahahahahahahahaha

I now get your point. A feeling that Poland is put-upon at times should be vocalised and recognised by more decent people, and not just be the red meat of mouthpieces like TVP INFO. At some point, it's dangerous for a nation to sit idly, grin and take a punch in the face in stride.
Lecturing people on how great the government of their own country, where you do not live and which you do not have any connection to, is is not as edgy as you think it is btw
Heat

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2018, 07:42:56 AM by Heat »

Lolnews: Polish Greens decided to start in the elections on voivodship level alone.
Greens: we want progressive forces to be united!
also Greens: we're going to run by ourselves and get our usual 0.3% again
Heat

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »

Also, PO and .N announced that their coalition's slogan for the elections would be 'Bliżej ludzi' - 'closer to the people'.

This was PiS' slogan in the 2006 local elections and the URL blizejludzi.pl is still taken by their campaign website from then.

Incredible.
Heat

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:57:46 AM »

I am a little bit skeptical and I do not want to judge too fast but there is visible surge of support for SLD in few recent polls. That is bad news for almost everyone.
9% in one poll, 3% in the next. I'll believe it when I see it...

In local election news, the independent but de facto PO-affiliated mayor of Gdansk, Pawel Adamowicz, was expected to retire after allegations that he had omitted several flats and a large amount of savings from his declaration of financial interests. PO leader Schetyna's plan was to run MP Jaroslaw Walesa (son of Lech Walesa) for the mayoralty instead, but Adamowicz has just announced that he will run for another term after all regardless of what PO do. Polls show Adamowicz would top the poll in the first round, but the split may lead to a runoff between a PiS candidate and an incumbent with the stench of possible corruption hanging over him. Gdansk has traditionally been the PO stronghold, so PiS winning it (which still seems very unlikely) would be a huge blow.
Heat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

Are Razem in contention for any seats anywhere?
Maybe a few in Warsaw and Wroclaw if we're very, very lucky.
Heat

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2018, 10:27:42 AM by Heat »

As for now this is still not yet decided everywhere. As for the sejmiks level they have ambitions to create their own electoral committees in all voivodships so they have no chances to get an seats. As for the lower level like counties or cities which are de iure counties they will participate in coalitions with some NGOs or other parties. In Wrocław they already decided that they will have coalition with Greens, as far as I remember also they will have some coalition in Warsaw. But probably they will start only in the biggest cities and they do not have chances to win anything anywhere to be honest.
That's a pity, it would be nice to get a few people trained up and entrenched for the next Sejm election.

And/or to see a few young idealists watch their dreams die before their eyes in the face of Polish local government.
Another issue is that the party leadership has chosen to focus on the elections to the sejmiks (fearing that if Razem skipped the sejmiks elections they'd be seen as winding down and a wasted vote) which a lot of party members aren't happy with because 1) they think it's a waste of time, 2) in some places there aren't even enough potential paper candidates, and 3) a lot of them are/were urban activists who don't care about the sejmiks and were hoping to devote their energies to city councils where it'd be less impossible to get elected. About half of Razem Kielce (Razem Kielce are surprisingly active but also infamous in Razem for constantly getting in petty fights over policy and resources and are basically despised by the rest of the party) seems to have left the party in a huff over this.
Heat

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »

As for now this is still not yet decided everywhere. As for the sejmiks level they have ambitions to create their own electoral committees in all voivodships so they have no chances to get an seats. As for the lower level like counties or cities which are de iure counties they will participate in coalitions with some NGOs or other parties. In Wrocław they already decided that they will have coalition with Greens, as far as I remember also they will have some coalition in Warsaw. But probably they will start only in the biggest cities and they do not have chances to win anything anywhere to be honest.
That's a pity, it would be nice to get a few people trained up and entrenched for the next Sejm election.

And/or to see a few young idealists watch their dreams die before their eyes in the face of Polish local government.
Another issue is that the party leadership has chosen to focus on the elections to the sejmiks (fearing that if Razem skipped the sejmiks elections they'd be seen as winding down and a wasted vote) which a lot of party members aren't happy with because 1) they think it's a waste of time, 2) in some places there aren't even enough potential paper candidates, and 3) a lot of them are/were urban activists who don't care about the sejmiks and were hoping to devote their energies to city councils where it'd be less impossible to get elected. About half of Razem Kielce (Razem Kielce are surprisingly active but also infamous in Razem for constantly getting in petty fights over policy and resources and are basically despised by the rest of the party) seems to have left the party in a huff over this.
That sounds like a fun situation. Almost makes it seem even more as if they're a wasted vote and/or winding down.
The 'plan' seems to be:
1) half-ass the locals, try to make sure the party actually registers as more than an asterisk on the exit poll
2) hope we can hold our 3% until 2019
3) Huh
4) PROFIT!

Personally? I'm counting the days until Robert Biedroń or Barbara Nowacka launch something, even if they are way to my right.
Heat

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2018, 07:49:53 PM by Heat »

Incidentally, a former PO aide has accused Trzaskowski of, er, taking cocaine, having an affair, and attending orgies in Brussels while an MEP, as well as taking secret campaign contributions from businessmen. Trzaskowski obviously denies everything, says he will sue, and claims that said aide is mentally ill.

Eight more months of this nonsense to go.
Heat

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »

Also I'd like to remind everybody that Trzaskowski is an MP for Kraków (although he's a Warsaw native who was parachuted onto the Kraków list) and Patryk Jaki is an MP for Opole who was a local councillor in Opole before being elected to the Sejm.

For the two foreigners reading this thread - no, Polish political parties do not care about parachutes at all.
Heat

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2018, 10:32:00 PM by Heat »

Also I'd like to remind everybody that Trzaskowski is an MP for Kraków (although he's a Warsaw native who was parachuted onto the Kraków list) and Patryk Jaki is an MP for Opole who was a local councillor in Opole before being elected to the Sejm.

For the two foreigners reading this thread - no, Polish political parties do not care about parachutes at all.
Hmm, that's disappointing to hear, I think Lech Kaczynski would have found one quite useful.

Presumably this guy from the Movement for Social Justice is... not very socially just?
Piotr Guział is a really, really hilarious character. He started out in SLD, then went through a few splinters before ending up in a local party, wherein he became mayor of Ursynów through a deal with PiS. He then started trying to expand said local party to the rest of Warsaw, absorbing people ranging from the centre-left to the hard-right in the process. He organised a referendum to recall Warsaw mayor Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz, but this failed due to insufficient turnout. It did, however, serve as excellent self-promotion for his 2014 campaign for mayor, where he came third and got himself elected to the city council.

He later ended up part of a clique of local politicians from across the country who wanted to use Kukiz as a way to break into the Sejm, but Kukiz realised they were trying to manipulate him and kicked them all out. (This would have been fine had he not subsequently replaced them with creepy fascists from the National Movement) Guział's response was to join the Movement for Social Justice, a micro-party run by former MP and ex-Trot turned anti-eviction activist Piotr Ikonowicz, a man famous for being really, really principled and therefore impossible to work with. Why they're working together is, well, a ing mystery.

Also, he once claimed that a rape victim who had been pressured by local policemen into withdrawing her testimony had to be a lying feminist because the same local policemen had curiously failed to find the culprit, and it's rumoured that his campaigns are secretly financed by shady businessmen.

So now that I think of it, he's basically the Platonic ideal of a Polish politician.
Heat

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »

Somebody has commissioned a poll showing that Robert Biedroń would receive 16% of the vote if he ran for mayor of Warsaw.

Robert Biedroń is currently mayor of Słupsk.
Heat

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »

Well, I don't see many opportunities for Biedroń in Warsaw. That would be an interesting portfolio tho:
- born in a Subcarpathian village
- elected to the parliament by gaining enough votes in an electoral district located in Gdynia [2011]
- won the mayoral election in Słupsk [2014]
- trying to participate in the election in Warsaw? [2018]

Actually, Biedroń running in Warsaw could play an interesting role. If we deduct the support for Biedroń from the support for Trzaskowski, assuming that Jaki will be the PiS nominee, the results would be as the following:
Jaki-PiS: 33.9%
Trzaskowski-PO: 32.5%
Biedroń-IN: 16%
Other candidates: 10.1%

How does it influence the results? Not very much, but it gives a feeling that PiS is the strongest party, which could be used as a "proof" of the "dominance" of PiS in Poland. Also, it's possible that if such a situation happened, Biedroń would be concentrated on gaining support from Trzaskowski, which would have to lead to internal conflicts. Will Biedroń run? Fortunately, I doubt. He hasn't got much to offer, Trzaskowski has already presented a platform including the standard issues Biedroń talks about (equality, women's rights, progress...), so it wouldn't be the smartest move Biedroń could make.
I mean, it won't happen, it would be utterly idiotic. I only posted it because it's funny. However the fact that the poll even exists is IMO proof that Biedroń is definitely being pushed towards running for president in 2020.
Heat

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »

Speaking of Biedroń, here's an actual Słupsk poll by IBRiS:

Robert Biedroń (independent, incumbent mayor): 54%
Piotr Muller (PiS, deputy minister of science): 14%
Beata Chrzanowska (PO, leader of Słupsk city council): 10%
Andrzej Twardowski (Słupsk Citizens' Alliance, local businessman and candidate in 2014): 4.5%
Undecided: 14.5%
Heat

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 06:28:25 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2018, 06:50:41 AM by Heat »

Poznań poll by WTK:

Jacek Jaśkowiak (PO, incumbent mayor): 44.6%
Bartłomiej Wróblewski (PiS, MP for Poznań): 24.5%
Jarosław Pucek (independent, former director of the Poznań social housing management company): 10.5%
Tomasz Lewandowski (Polish Initiative, ex-SLD, councillor and deputy mayor): 10.2%
Dorota Bonk-Hammermeister (Right to the City association, local activist): 0.9%
Undecided: 9.3%

Jaśkowiak is a former activist who ran for mayor in 2010 for a local citizens' movement and then allowed himself to be recruited by PO in 2014. He is on the extreme left fringe of PO (so basically a typical Western left-liberal) and Poznań PO, which is rather conservative, recruited him mainly to show how 'big-tent' they are while expecting him to get crushed by the conservative incumbent Ryszard Grobelny. This... didn't exactly happen - Grobelny ran a very complacent campaign and some more controversial city projects as well as the perception that he was beholden to the Catholic Church came back to haunt him, and Jaśkowiak won convincingly 59-41.

Jaśkowiak has focused on improving public transport and adding more bike lanes as opposed to Grobelny's more pro-car policies, this has not been without controversy, and his open social liberalism has also grated on some. As such, this election is likely to be quite 'culture-warry', so to speak.
Heat

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2018, 02:56:55 PM by Heat »

Polish Initiative can field and support several interesting candidates like Biedroń and Nowacka, but except Biedroń the best they can achieve is 2 or 3 third places in some big cities' presidential elections. They will presumably have big problems with candidates in smaller cities, to city councils, not even talking about rural areas. Also, even though Robert Biedroń or Barbara Nowacka might mean something for an average Pole, i doubt that many people know about "Polish Initiative". Well, the left probably won't achieve much - the Greens, Razem, Polish Initiative and SLD running separately will neither satisfy their voters, nor make them stronger.
As far as I know, basically all of Poznań SLD has crossed over to Polish Initiative and Lewandowski is a fairly strong figure - their problem is Jaśkowiak, who is probably acceptable to most left-wing voters. Agreed however that they, and the left in general, don't have a chance in most places.

Nowacka's strategy seems to be to build up support by counting on the media to hype her up personally, which admittedly did work for PO (does anyone even remember Olechowski now?) and PiS, but it didn't work very well for Palikot or Petru.
Heat

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »

PO and .N have announced the creation of the 'Together for Szczecin' coalition to run in the elections in, er, Szczecin. The high-profile PO MP (and ex-Korwinista, lol) Sławomir Nitras will be their candidate for mayor and some guy from .N I've never heard of before will be candidate for deputy mayor.
Heat

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »

PO and .N have announced the creation of the 'Together for Szczecin' coalition to run in the elections in, er, Szczecin. The high-profile PO MP (and ex-Korwinista, lol) Sławomir Nitras will be their candidate for mayor and some guy from .N I've never heard of before will be candidate for deputy mayor.

I like how Corbyn and Korwin have the same etymology.
Both are old men with very good facial hair whose once-fringe politics have surprising appeal to the youth, after all.
Heat

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »

I like how Corbyn and Korwin have the same etymology.
Both are old men with very good facial hair whose once-fringe politics have surprising appeal to the youth, after all.

Major difference is that one have party with 40% of popular support and another have party with max. 4% of popular support.
I still remember back in 2015 Krytyka Polityczna were terrified that Korwin was going to come third in the presidential election... and then Kukiz showed up and it turned out you didn't have to constantly rant about how stupid women are and how Hitler was misunderstood to be 'anti-system'. Sic transit gloria mundi.
Heat

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »

So, one major political party announced their candidate for the president of Wrocław, fourth largest Polish city. Member of European Parliament, staunch pro-life movements supporter, anti-LGBT and declared conservative. You might wonder if I am talking about PiS candidate?

Nope, I am talking about Kazimierz Michał Ujazdowski, currently supported by PO and now being announced as PO candidate in Wrocław. After many months of pre-campaining for different candidate they decided to support candidate who just recently left PiS. And don't get me wrong, out of the Polish right he is actually decent and lets say civilized, well-mannered politician, (although he have problem with sticking to the one party but hey, he is a politician) but still this is very poor choice for rather liberal city in times with great conflict with PiS.
So now Wrocław .N and Dutkiewicz (incumbent mayor, independent but basically PO in all but name)'s people are refusing to even discuss a coalition with PO anymore, their coalition partners from the Wrocław Civic Movement (who were meant to write Wrocław PO's manifesto for them, lol) have broken off their coalition, Frasyniuk has blasted them in Wyborcza for running such a conservative candidate, and the left smells blood and is viciously attacking PO as well.

This is objectively hilarious. I'm going to make a prediction: Ujazdowski will not become mayor of Wrocław.
Heat

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »

There appears to be an anti-PiS coalition in Siedlce (Masovian Voivodeship) between PO, SLD, and the artists formerly known as KORWiN.

No, I don't know either.
Heat

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »

PiS have finally announced their candidates for the mayoralties of major cities.

Białystok – Jacek Żalek - ex-PO Alliance MP and attention-seeking so-con prat
Bydgoszcz – Tomasz Latos - local PiS MP
Gdańsk – Kacper Płażyński - son of Maciej Płażyński, former Marshal of the Sejm under AWS and co-founder of PO who later defected to PiS and died in the Smolensk crash
Gorzów Wielkopolski – Sebastian Pieńkowski - leader of the city council
Katowice – Marcin Krupa - incumbent independent mayor since 2014
Kielce – Wojciech Lubawski - incumbent independent mayor since 2002
Kraków – Małgorzata Wassermann - local PiS MP, chair of the Sejm committee on justice and human rights and of the parliamentary inquiry into Amber Gold (pyramid scheme which went spectacularly bust and which is alleged to have had ties to the Tusk family and other PO politicians)
Lublin – Sylwester Tułajew - local PiS MP and former councillor
Łódź – Waldemar Buda - local PiS MP and former councillor
Olsztyn – Michał Wypij - leader of the Olsztyn branch of Alliance
Opole – Violetta Porowska - deputy governor of Opole Voivodeship
Poznań – Tadeusz Zysk - owner of Zysk i S-ka, one of the largest publishing companies in Poland
Rzeszów – Wojciech Buczak - local PiS MP
Szczecin – Bartłomiej Sochański - former mayor between 1994 and 1998
Toruń – Zbigniew Rasielewski - deputy mayor since 2010
Warszawa – Patryk Jaki - Solidary Poland MP for Opole (!), deputy minister of justice, chair of the Warsaw reprivatisation verification commission
Wrocław – Mirosława Stachowiak-Różecka - PiS MP and former deputy leader of the city council, candidate in 2014
Zielona Góra – Piotr Barczak - councillor, leader of the PiS council group, deputy mayor between 2004 and 2007

Notice how there are no incumbents apart from the two independents who run strong local machines and who are using PiS as a flag of convenience.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies